Speculation: The Official Bjugstad Thread: Alias Hate and Love not far from each other

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Why would you not specifically accept that physical health (or setbacks to it) has had a long term effect on him?

I think the injuries and health concerns (back, wrist, concussion, migraines) have been the main reason for Nick's low production.

The main question to me has been, IF Nick can stay healthy, WILL he play better? If not, then it's too bad and not recoverable. If yes, then he can be a key piece again.

I'm thinking it's the latter, and thus I don't want to trade him.

Disagree.

I think the main reason for his low production is lack of confidence. Maybe injuries played a small part in it, but you can tell a difference from player that's confident in his abilities and one who's scared to make a mistake.

Earlier in the season he'd screw up simple passes and put his teammates offsides or himself offsides, would always be a step behind. The last few games he's been way better. The wrap around chance last night for example was something he wouldn't even attempt earlier in the season. He didn't score on it, but you can tell he's playing confident.

If he keeps rolling, we get Malgin back, Pysyk gets his head out of his ass, and Vatrano just has to replace Vrbata and do anything..then we got a good shot at the playoffs.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Why would you not specifically accept that physical health (or setbacks to it) has had a long term effect on him?

I think the injuries and health concerns (back, wrist, concussion, migraines) have been the main reason for Nick's low production.

The main question to me has been, IF Nick can stay healthy, WILL he play better? If not, then it's too bad and not recoverable. If yes, then he can be a key piece again.

I'm thinking it's the latter, and thus I don't want to trade him.

Was he actually hurt to start the season? Because I thought he came in healthy this season, maybe I am wrong. And as much as it annoyed me to read the constant snarky comments in some of the game threads, I couldn't disagree that he looked completely uninterested in the game of hockey at times. But right now, I think there's a marked, visible difference in the amount of energy, aggression, and suddenness in his game, and I feel like it's actually carrying over to the rest of his line.

I don't know who deserves the credit for it, I guess I would have to say Boughner deserves that, but yes, Nick Bjugstad absolutely looks like a man who is much more passionate about being a good hockey player right now than he did a few months ago. Perhaps it's an overreaction to the fact that he's just been playing better on the Barkov line, but he looks like a totally different guy to me. And like you, I think that if this is the level of play he will hit consistently going forward, I'm not trading that.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Was he actually hurt to start the season? Because I thought he came in healthy this season, maybe I am wrong. And as much as it annoyed me to read the constant snarky comments in some of the game threads, I couldn't disagree that he looked completely uninterested in the game of hockey at times. But right now, I think there's a marked, visible difference in the amount of energy, aggression, and suddenness in his game, and I feel like it's actually carrying over to the rest of his line.

I don't know who deserves the credit for it, I guess I would have to say Boughner deserves that, but yes, Nick Bjugstad absolutely looks like a man who is much more passionate about being a good hockey player right now than he did a few months ago. Perhaps it's an overreaction to the fact that he's just been playing better on the Barkov line, but he looks like a totally different guy to me. And like you, I think that if this is the level of play he will hit consistently going forward, I'm not trading that.

Agreed. His confidence has skyrocketed. The game sometimes gets easier when you have fun and it looks like he's having a blast. This current version of Jugger reminds me of the playoff Jugger a couple years ago. Good for him.

-ghoste

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I don't think you quite understand the length of the process of getting healthy from a string of major injuries.

Nick was healthy beginning of training camp, but his skill level wasn't there yet. That always lags. A gymnast or figure skater or baseball pitcher will have a long recovery from a major injury. I consider Nick having undergone major health issues, and thus I'm not surprised it's taken this long. Conversely, I think the slow but deliberate progress has one big upside: its positive effect is likely to be more permanent.

As long as Nick can avoid concussions for a couple/few years and can avoid migraines, and only deal with physical "tweaks" like Malgin, he'll be a good piece on this team.

I also think the same is true for Ekblad. He's far from done and as long as he stays concussion free, I expect he'll play to his contract level soon enough.

(I'm saying none of this in support of Tallon, just to be clear.)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
caa6572a357b7798bd7dad33eb0a3cafa4fdc45beba0da6179e26e8581157f94.jpg

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Said it in last night's GDT, Nick was the closest mold of Jagr that we had and Barkov needs that cycle game in his arsenal because he draws a lot of penalty calls using his size down low and it chews up time when up by a goal or two. Barkov and Bjeast are a handful down low and on the side walls while sneaky D gets to open spots and snipes.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Said it in last night's GDT, Nick was the closest mold of Jagr that we had and Barkov needs that cycle game in his arsenal because he draws a lot of penalty calls using his size down low and it chews up time when up by a goal or two. Barkov and Bjeast are a handful down low and on the side walls while sneaky D gets to open spots and snipes.

That steal and keep away before the Dads goal definitely reminded me of Jagr’s time here.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
What me makes angry is Player who can score when the puck, land on there Sticks and shoot but cant even pass east to west on a 2on1.
This should make Panthers fans angry, okay he can score now a Point for him. He mostly must put it in a wide open net or only inches away from the Net. :D
But not a Prospect decided not much space for me.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I have been very impressed with Bjugstad since the Philly game. Guy gets it now. Better late than never!

His effort is now one of the best on the team, night in and night out. Going hard to the net on the Dadonov goal (which was a result of him going hard to the net) and finishing on his chance last night is awesome to see.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's nice having a bonafide #1C who can turn, in a worst case Ontario, garbage wingers into something viable.
Yup, they need to move Nick and Huby and their cap hits this off season.

Nick has 1 goal and 0 assists in the last 7. Why?.....because Barkov has gone into the meat locker. Get what you can for him and use the spare cash from moving his and Huby's cap hit to sign Tavares for $9M per for 7 years. Move the Robot down to the 2nd line and Tro to the 3rd. If we have to play the two softies (Borgstrom/Tippett) next season in Tallon's Yute movement, move Borg up to the 2LW and Tippett to 2RW.............I just hope none of them get a cheap shot as the other two will stand around with their hands in their pockets.

Of course this is all a pipe dream based on the fact that the chances are real good we will never have a solid 3rd line center in my lifetime. :)

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’m down for getting rid of Huberdeau and Bjugstad. I’m tired of their disappearing acts.

Though I’m tired of Barkov as well lol and his overpassing and lack of emotion.

Was looking forward to Borgstrom but he did not look ready at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad