OT: The Off-Topic Thread XVIIII: Roman Numeral Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a question for those of you who own motorbikes.

How much is insurance compared to a car?
How much would appropriate (and quality) safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, anything else?) cost?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I have a question for those of you who own motorbikes.

How much is insurance compared to a car?
How much would appropriate (and quality) safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, anything else?) cost?

For me, motorcycle insurance ranged from about half to a little more than half of what I pay for my car insurance. The thing about motorcycle insurance is the size of the engine seems to play a significant role in the price. That's what I've read online and just looking back at my emails with my insurance broker, it seems to back that up. Last year when I upgraded my motorcycle, my broker gave me a quote on a bike with a smaller engine and when I corrected him, it suddenly went up $200 with everything being pretty much the same between the two models :rant: :laugh: If internet lore is to be believed, 1000cc seems to be the magic threshold between cheap and expensive insurance and my experience suggests that's true.

As for safety gear, I would say for everything you should be able to keep it under $800-1000 if you're looking for quality, new, regular priced stuff, though you can save quite a bit of money if you buy used or wait for end-of-season sales. I would be hesitant to buy a second hand helmet unless you know it hasn't been used (particularly dropped), but you can score some good deals on second hand jackets. If you're not in any rush, fortnine.ca has some great deals during Black Friday and Boxing Week or when they're just clearing out old inventory or discontinued items. If I waited to get my leather jacket on Boxing Day, I would have saved over $200. They have a lot of great reviews and recommendations on their YouTube channel too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For me, motorcycle insurance ranged from about half to a little more than half of what I pay for my car insurance. The thing about motorcycle insurance is the size of the engine seems to play a significant role in the price. That's what I've read online and just looking back at my emails with my insurance broker, it seems to back that up. Last year when I upgraded my motorcycle, my broker gave me a quote on a bike with a smaller engine and when I corrected him, it suddenly went up $200 with everything being pretty much the same between the two models :rant: :laugh: If internet lore is to be believed, 1000cc seems to be the magic threshold between cheap and expensive insurance and my experience suggests that's true.

As for safety gear, I would say for everything you should be able to keep it under $800-1000 if you're looking for quality, new, regular priced stuff, though you can save quite a bit of money if you buy used or wait for end-of-season sales. I would be hesitant to buy a second hand helmet unless you know it hasn't been used (particularly dropped), but you can score some good deals on second hand jackets. If you're not in any rush, fortnine.ca has some great deals during Black Friday and Boxing Week or when they're just clearing out old inventory or discontinued items. If I waited to get my leather jacket on Boxing Day, I would have saved over $200. They have a lot of great reviews and recommendations on their YouTube channel too.
I thought about just texting you instead, because I knew it would be you that answered :laugh: But thanks for the info and I definitely wouldn't be in a rush.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey guys, this is FFF! I arrived from Mexico yesterday, now I have to wait like 3 months for the season to start! Excited to be back to finally watch the Flames live again :) and to communicate with you all.

Cheers,

LL (new username)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
For good bro :).

159.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So FFF, your new name is "the names"? in the feminine context of course

That's not how it works. "Me llamo FFF" doesn't mean "my name is FFF," it means "I call myself FFF," but of course is interchangeable with "my name is."

Llamar is a verb with conjugations, not a noun with genders. So "llamo" means "I call" and "llama" would mean "he/she/it calls."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's not how it works. "Me llamo FFF" doesn't mean "my name is FFF," it means "I call myself FFF," but of course is interchangeable with "my name is."

Llamar is a verb with conjugations, not a noun with genders. So "llamo" means "I call" and "llama" would mean "he/she/it calls."
then what would Las Llamas translate to professor

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, spanish has way too many words for lots of things. But, thankfully I know the language. It's great to be back, I still feel weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad