The NFL Doesn’t Care About Taylor Swift

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It’s really at a point where people just joined in because they think they’re supposed to and don’t want be left out of the big cool kids club. Her entire appeal began out of her grievances, whether it be country music folks souring on her, boys who made her sad, streaming services that didn’t want pay her, record labels who exercised control on her, and now it’s just anyone who won’t admit she’s the greatest being a hater. I always say, nothing brings people together like grievance, few things if any are a bigger motivator. A lot of these Swifties think she’s too good to be beyond reproach, generally because that’s 90% of what she’s written about for like 20 years. Just being sad or mad but striking a chord that maximizes its engagement. Beyond that, she’s also rereleasing older stuff by saying that none of that stuff was actually the real thing. The music may be stupid, but she isn’t, she’s recycling her shit and people all too willing are thanking her for it. Because it’s not the music that sells, it’s her, and she’s smart enough, and powerful enough, to find the lowest conmon denominator.

The complaining about her invading their space has actually been usurped by the people who are mad that people are complaining. Her presence is not that bad. Her average face time on these broadcasts is something like 25 seconds. But I feel a lot of talk I’ve seen/heard is about why people are complaining at all as opposed to the actual complaining. But it seems we’ve gotten to the point where the majority of people bothered are those who are bothered by the people claiming to be bothered, and it’s just perfect encapsulation of human life today. Misery loves company.

The great irony for me is that, despite being an extremely staunch critic of her music, all this other stuff I do not care, like at all. I could not care less. Yes, it’s a topic of discussion, but it is simply to that degree. When I see this during the games, I don’t have a reaction. It’s just there like any crowd shot, any commercial, a minutia detail.

tl;dr: Twitter is not real life, but this poll ran by the Saturday midday show here on WIP, but I think hits it. The people who are mad are the people mad that people mad.

I've said this before but in terms of personality, she pretty much comes across as a more polished Kanye West (another one who attracts grievance addicts) without the anti-semitism.

No wonder they beefed big time.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Sounds about right

Attachments

• 1707328679376.png
    1707328679376.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 1

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The question to ask is ‘when do the Saudis come for the NFL?’ Because they’re all about bringing in any global event they can buy, and the NFL not gonna say no.

NFL doesn’t allow foreign ownership.

And there’s really no need for it because there’s more than enough Americans looking to buy an NFL team, as evidenced by the down and out dumpster fire in Washington being sold for $6 BILLION.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NFL doesn’t allow foreign ownership.

And there’s really no need for it because there’s more than enough Americans looking to buy an NFL team, as evidenced by the down and out dumpster fire in Washington being sold for $6 BILLION.
Didn't think this needed to be clarified, but never said anything about ownership.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
That they're going to bring games there like other countries are.

The sovereign wealth fund is more about ownership than it is about hosting a one-off event. And there doesn’t seem to be much interest for football among the public there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The sovereign wealth fund is more about ownership than it is about hosting a one-off event. And there doesn’t seem to be much interest for football among the public there.
The Public Investment Fund is about that, yes. Mohammed bin Salman and the Minister of Sport have brought many other sports events, and some even beyond that, and almost all of them keep coming back. WWE, boxing, Formula 1, a number of FIFA-sponsored soccer tournaments.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The Public Investment Fund is about that, yes. Mohammed bin Salman and the Minister of Sport have brought many other sports events, and some even beyond that, and almost all of them keep coming back. WWE, boxing, Formula 1, a number of FIFA-sponsored soccer tournaments.

Don’t forget about UFC too.

Those are spectacles that lend themselves to random one-off locales.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t forget about UFC too.

Those are spectacles that lend themselves to random one-off locales.
Which works perfectly for a sports league that only runs once a week to send off select games, once or twice per year to stadiums in international markets whenever it is they decide to do it.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
What people don't realize is that showbiz is not normal life. I know we like to think it is and the people we watch are just like us but they aren't. What I think probably happened was Taylor Swift's managers/agents thought of a way to promote her world tour. There are few more popular in the NFL than Travis Kelce at the moment. So my guess is Taylor's people talked to Travis' people and the rest is history. It is good business for the NFL and it is good business for Taylor's world tour. She is about to be seen on the biggest sports stage of the year. That's huge. I know there is this idea that Taylor is an independent woman and she could do what she wants and blah, blah, blah. Full stop. She can't just date the guy next door and she isn't going to date the tight end on the New York Jets. She likely doesn't get that option, she is far too valuable to NOT be managed.

Anyway, just my thought at how the celeb world goes 'round. No I don't think it is organic that they got together. Sue me.

But all that is important is the game on Sunday anyway, for me the people they are dating isn't important.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yea I think within 5 years we'll see a game there.

Likewise, I think we'll see an MLB pre season series and possibly an NBA regular season game as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Likewise, I think we'll see an MLB pre season series and possibly an NBA regular season game as well.
It would likely be NBA first, as that's a more global entity, and with the in-season tournament, have created another property to sell.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Which works perfectly for a sports league that only runs once a week to send off select games, once or twice per year to stadiums in international markets whenever it is they decide to do it.

It doesn’t work that well at all, but make sure you let me know when the first NFL game is scheduled in Saudi Arabia.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I want SF to win , I want Purdy or cmc to get the mvp.
I want Purdy to win because it will shut everyone up about being a game manager..dude is good.. makes the right reads and delivers the ball on time and on target. HE is top 10 or better.
CMC deserved the MVP so I hope he wins the SB MVP.
Everyone can be quite about KC and the Fix is in..
I think I just want everyone to shut up lol.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Some markets just aren’t worth pursuing.

Taking a 28hr round trip flight to play on a sub-standard field in front of an indifferent crowd that has shown ZERO interest in the sport doesn’t make much sense.

And for what? It’s not like there’s a large upper middle class population with lots of disposable income. Outside of the royal family there’s not much wealth among the average citizens.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Taking a 28hr round trip flight to play on a sub-standard field in front of an indifferent crowd that has shown ZERO interest in the sport doesn’t make much sense.

And for what? It’s not like there’s a large upper middle class population with lots of disposable income. Outside of the royal family there’s not much wealth among the average citizens.

The Kingdom will pay the NFL a boatload of money to go there. That's why it will make sense for them.

& FWIW, about 80,000 Americans live in Saudi Arabia. Not saying all are football fans, but it's a not insignificant number.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The Kingdom will pay the NFL a boatload of money to go there. That's why it will make sense for them.

& FWIW, about 80,000 Americans live in Saudi Arabia. Not saying all are football fans, but it's a not insignificant number.

You’re right, anything’s possible - - maybe the NFL will even expand to Canada and put franchises in Toronto and Vancouver too.

As always I stand behind my comments, and there’s about as much chance of the NFL playing a game in North Korea as there is of playing a game in Saudi Arabia.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

You're correct, some markets are not friendly for NFL potential.. but I don't think that necessarily discourages NFL ambition.
Remember in 2018, the NFL was attempting to force feed American football south of the border. The wet Mexican field was so poorly cared for, the game was (comically) canceled last minute tho. But only because of player pushback (concern for injuries caused by poor footing).
NFL wants to be universal and will probably test markets anywhere they can sell a  single jersey or foam finger.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You’re right, anything’s possible - - maybe the NFL will even expand to Canada and put franchises in Toronto and Vancouver too.

As always I stand behind my comments, and there’s about as much chance of the NFL playing a game in North Korea as there is of playing a game in Saudi Arabia.

We aren't talking about expanding to The Kingdom here tho. For the record, an NFL team would do well in Toronto but that's a discussion for another day.

RE bolded - quite the hot take. The Kingdom is likely willing to pay tens of millions if not hundreds of millions to have the NFL play a game there.

• Haha
Reactions: Donnie740

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad