The NFL Doesn’t Care About Taylor Swift

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From a star power standpoint:

Swift > Madonna >> Gaga
I would agree with this even though I think Madonna is best artist of the lot, which is to say that I think Swift sucks overall as a musician, but Swift seems to be more ubiquitous, and over a longer period of time. In Madonna’s time, you still kinda had all of these emerging subgenres, many of which eschewed the tabloid ecosystem that has rebounded to be more prevalent in recent times.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Swift is still in her prime and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Her and Kelce have been dating for what? Six months at most? The coverage of them is only going to get bigger with the inevitable marriage or break up. (The marriage stories are a little annoying)

Might as well get used to it even though she isn't shown nearly as much as celebrities like Jack Nicholson or Spike Lee were

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Damn NFL gone all full woke talking about Taylor Swift and showing her all the time!:sarcasm:

Since we are doing the HFBoards rankings of female singers/entertainers, I will put Beyonce in there too.

Swift>Madonna>Beyonce>Gaga/Pink>Pink/Gaga

Decided to add Pink too since she has been relevant as a solo artist longer than Beyonce and several years longer than Gaga. She can sell out arenas and stadiums at incredibly high ticket prices over 20 years into her career.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Damn NFL gone all full woke talking about Taylor Swift and showing her all the time!:sarcasm:

Since we are doing the HFBoards rankings of female singers/entertainers, I will put Beyonce in there too.

Swift>Madonna>Beyonce>Gaga/Pink>Pink/Gaga

Decided to add Pink too since she has been relevant as a solo artist longer than Beyonce and several years longer than Gaga. She can sell out arenas and stadiums at incredibly high ticket prices over 20 years into her career.
Cher >......

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Swift and the NFL are annoying in the same way that vegans and vegetarians online are annoying. Yeah, sure. Sometimes. But people that complain about them are way more numerous and way more vocally annoying then the base thing that they’re complaining about ever are.

Just pretend that when they show her that it’s a random crowd reaction shot, sheesh.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I still don’t understand how ppl get triggered about Swift being on tv for a total of 45 seconds in a 3 to 3.5 hr football broadcast. Is there nothing better to do with your time? Guess I’m just getting old.

Totally agree. I could not possibly care less how many times Fox and CBS puts the camera on Taylor Swiffer cheering for her new favourite NFL team.

My issue - - as I explained previously - - is with the kooks who keep insisting the league is rigging games to favour KC and Swiffer.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Totally agree. I could not possibly care less how many times Fox and CBS puts the camera on Taylor Swiffer cheering for her new favourite NFL team.

My issue - - as I explained previously - - is with the kooks who keep insisting the league is rigging games to favour KC and Swiffer.
It isn't likely but anyone who thinks it's not possible is naive. If the swifties are part of NFL advertisers target market the NFL would be smart to do what they can to keep KC in the hunt as long as possible.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It isn't likely but anyone who thinks it's not possible is naive. If the swifties are part of NFL advertisers target market the NFL would be smart to do what they can to keep KC in the hunt as long as possible.

You’re living in a dream world, my friend.

Television contracts were already negotiated long before Pfizer Boy started sniffing around Taylor Swiffer. Advertisers aren’t going to suddenly pay the NFL more. And by the time a new television contract is negotiated, Travis Pfizer will be retired. And most likely, single.

The NFL dwarfs everything in the sports and entertainment world.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You’re living in a dream world, my friend.

Television contracts were already negotiated long before Pfizer Boy started sniffing around Taylor Swiffer. Advertisers aren’t going to suddenly pay the NFL more. And by the time a new television contract is negotiated, Travis Pfizer will be retired. And most likely, single.

The NFL dwarfs everything in the sports and entertainment world.
Why do you call him Travis Pfizer?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not outside North America.

Nothing outside of North America matters because all the money is in North America.

No advertiser is paying big dollars to air commercials in Bangladesh during a soccer game or in Cyprus during a bicycle race.

Look at how the Super Bowl dwarfs soccer.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 1

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Nothing outside of North America matters because all the money is in North America.

No advertiser is paying big dollars to air commercials in Bangladesh during a soccer game or in Cyprus during a bicycle race.

Look at how the Super Bowl dwarfs soccer.
Not a proper comparison. Your chart says World Cup per game, which includes all the group and knockout games.

Reactions: izlez

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Swift has mass appeal. No doubt about that. But I don't think that necessarily means she is an all time kind of talent.

She seems pretty generic from a talent standpoint to me.

She 100 percent is. Sometimes even worse. There's this live performance of her, not sure what the song is. But it's so cringy because it reeks of 'Taylor Swift acts soulful and tries to be Sade' with all of the mannerisms to go along with it as opposed to seeming organic and being genuinely, y'know, soulful. It's way too rehearsed and it shows badly. Things can be rehearsed to infinity but it shouldn't show to the point of distraction. She seems to be an habitual line-crosser of that very simple rule.

She's one of those acts where the hate goes too far and where the praise goes twice as further.

In short, she's bland as shit in terms of talent and performance. Not as aggressively bad as her detractors say she is but also does not justify anywhere close as to what the hype dictates.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She 100 percent is. Sometimes even worse. There's this live performance of her, not sure what the song is. But it's so cringy because it reeks of 'Taylor Swift acts soulful and tries to be Sade' with all of the mannerisms to go along with it as opposed to seeming organic and being genuinely, y'know, soulful. It's way too rehearsed and it shows badly. Things can be rehearsed to infinity but it shouldn't show to the point of distraction. She seems to be an habitual line-crosser of that very simple rule.

She's one of those acts where the hate goes too far and where the praise goes twice as further.

In short, she's bland as shit in terms of talent and performance. Not as aggressively bad as her detractors say she is but also does not justify anywhere close as to what the hype dictates.
It’s really at a point where people just joined in because they think they’re supposed to and don’t want be left out of the big cool kids club. Her entire appeal began out of her grievances, whether it be country music folks souring on her, boys who made her sad, streaming services that didn’t want pay her, record labels who exercised control on her, and now it’s just anyone who won’t admit she’s the greatest being a hater. I always say, nothing brings people together like grievance, few things if any are a bigger motivator. A lot of these Swifties think she’s too good to be beyond reproach, generally because that’s 90% of what she’s written about for like 20 years. Just being sad or mad but striking a chord that maximizes its engagement. Beyond that, she’s also rereleasing older stuff by saying that none of that stuff was actually the real thing. The music may be stupid, but she isn’t, she’s recycling her shit and people all too willing are thanking her for it. Because it’s not the music that sells, it’s her, and she’s smart enough, and powerful enough, to find the lowest conmon denominator.

The complaining about her invading their space has actually been usurped by the people who are mad that people are complaining. Her presence is not that bad. Her average face time on these broadcasts is something like 25 seconds. But I feel a lot of talk I’ve seen/heard is about why people are complaining at all as opposed to the actual complaining. But it seems we’ve gotten to the point where the majority of people bothered are those who are bothered by the people claiming to be bothered, and it’s just perfect encapsulation of human life today. Misery loves company.

The great irony for me is that, despite being an extremely staunch critic of her music, all this other stuff I do not care, like at all. I could not care less. Yes, it’s a topic of discussion, but it is simply to that degree. When I see this during the games, I don’t have a reaction. It’s just there like any crowd shot, any commercial, a minutia detail.

tl;dr: Twitter is not real life, but this poll ran by the Saturday midday show here on WIP, but I think hits it. The people who are mad are the people mad that people mad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not a proper comparison. Your chart says World Cup per game, which includes all the group and knockout games.
The question to ask is ‘when do the Saudis come for the NFL?’ Because they’re all about bringing in any global event they can buy, and the NFL not gonna say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad