Confirmed with Link: The new coach of the Philadelphia Flyers is John Tortorella

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Scott has to realize that if things don't improve next season at the box office, his job is in jeopardy. The Flyers were a cash cow for Comcast when he stepped in; not any more. My expectation is a change in the FO- Fletcher to President with Briere as GM. Listening to the "alumni" hasn't borne fruit so a different directions is needed.
With the emphasis that Fletcher has voiced on the playing the younger players, Babcock, Tortorella, Tocchet or a different dino makes little sense as the next HC. Can't see one of the them being willing to go that route.
Gronberg, Maurice or Montgomery look like possible good fits.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Scott has to realize that if things don't improve next season at the box office, his job is in jeopardy. The Flyers were a cash cow for Comcast when he stepped in; not any more. My expectation is a change in the FO- Fletcher to President with Briere as GM. Listening to the "alumni" hasn't borne fruit so a different directions is needed.
With the emphasis that Fletcher has voiced on the playing the younger players, Babcock, Tortorella, Tocchet or a different dino makes little sense as the next HC. Can't see one of the them being willing to go that route.

CEO's first job is basically, "How can I make the most amount of money for my company and shareholders?" And in the Flyers current state, that ain't happening.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA

Improve? Even if everything goes right, which it won't. You got figure it is maybe 2-3 years away.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Player/Coach

2 birds, 1 stone

97cfcb6f49aad6dbec8184d0d5cd45f3fd3f40c4.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Let's look at Fletcher's (non-interim) coaching hires:

Todd Richards -- age 42, first NHL head coaching job

Mike Yeo -- age 38, first NHL head coaching job

Bruce Boudreau -- age 60, third NHL head coaching job

Alain Vigneault -- age 58, fourth NHL head coaching job

So he's gone both ways -- twice hired young first-time NHL head coaches, and twice hired veteran NHL coaches.

Considering how much he's on the hot seat, I highly doubt Fletcher is going to hire an unknown, unproven NHL head coach this time around.

If the Flyers get off to a bad start with an un-established coach, it will cause that much more panic in Dave Scott, and Fletcher knows it. If they struggle out of the gate with a coach who has more cachet, there will be a bigger grace period.

So I don't expect a first-timer.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
John Tortotella is the most retread-y, lazy, won a championship elsewhere so let’s hire him, classic Philadelphia hire.

He’ll fit right in with the Girardi, Rivers, Vigneault mediocrity.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Montgomery played for the Flyers before. Honestly though, of those that have been a head coach in the NHL already, he might be the most likely candidate.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gronberg
Lambert
Montgomery

Those are probably my 3. Gronberg has been conveted for a long time and depending on the right stuff, he might want to shape up this team. Lambert being under Trotz for so long could really be a game changer for us overall. And with Montgomery, if he is fully over his personal issues and demons, he could do well. He did well in Dallas before being let go.

Groulx could be interesting though as that Crunch is generally a pretty decent team and the guy has been moving up and down the coaching ladder for years.

But yeah, of the bunch, Montgomery has a history of decent coaching at the NHL level (modern NHL, not 10+ years ago NHL).

However, I feel these choices might only be made if Chuck is gone. I feel that if Chuck stays, it's going to be the worst possible choice.

Can't see a guy like Gronberg looking at the state of the Flyers organization and deciding this was the best bet for his first NHL coaching gig...and that's even if the losers in charge have interest in him..which I sincerely doubt. He's not cut from their cloth.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If I had to bet on the next coach, I’d put my money on Maurice, but I wouldn’t wager a lot.

I’d hire Tortorella.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If I had to bet on the next coach, I’d put my money on Maurice, but I wouldn’t wager a lot.

I’d hire Tortorella.

Torts would do nothing for this team and would just follow the same shit as to stile any creativity or any real offense. His style of hockey is pretty much done in the NHL. Not sure why people want him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Torts would do nothing for this team and would just follow the same shit as to stile any creativity or any real offense. His style of hockey is pretty much done in the NHL. Not sure why people want him.

Because some cromagnon brains think you can motivate a poorly constructed team into a conteder. They are the same "strip the C off of G" type of fans.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His personality makes things interesting while he also is a very good hockey coach.

Most of his players respect him, even if they don't always see eye-to-eye. Fact is, a lot of players need the tough love, even if they don't like it in the moment.

His style of play still wins. People think of Tampa as a freewheeling team, and that is completely wrong. They won the Cup last season with stifling defense.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
His personality makes things interesting while he also is a very good hockey coach.

Most of his players respect him, even if they don't always see eye-to-eye. Fact is, a lot of players need the tough love, even if they don't like it in the moment.

His style of play still wins. People think of Tampa as a freewheeling team, and that is completely wrong. They won the Cup last season with stifling defense.

Personality generally doesn't mean shit. He may be outward and candid, but that doesn't mean he's a good coach.

At this point, I'm not sure if that many people have respect for him. More like he demands respect and acts like he gets it.

He last won a cup in 2004 and while he got some wins out of his teams, I think this will end up just like AV. His ego will take over and people will want to be traded. Just look at the shit with AV and Jake.

Also, this team is not built for the kind of team he wants to put together, which is generally defense first. If I wanted defense first, I'd rather go for Trotz or Lambert.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad