OT: The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What are some of your favorite recent horror movies?

Like last decade? You've got Robert Eggers (The Witch; The Lighthouse). Ari Aster (Hereditary; Midsommar). Obviously, Jordan Peele. I'm a big Mike Flanagan guy across movies and TV (Gerald's Game; Hush; The Haunting of Hill House; Midnight Mass).

These aren't all the deepest cut but.....It Follows, The Babadook, A Quiet Place, Barbarian, Train to Busan, The Night House, The Invisible Man, X, His House, Ready or Not, Saint Maud, Under the Skin. Honestly, above all, there's just so many watchable ones. Especially horror-comedies. Freaky, Happy Death Day, The Final Girls, and so on. It's not even about "great" -- the standard for "good" is just so much higher these days. Shlock feels like the outlier.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Like last decade? You've got Robert Eggers (The Witch; The Lighthouse). Ari Aster (Hereditary; Midsommar). Obviously, Jordan Peele. I'm a big Mike Flanagan guy across movies and TV (Gerald's Game; Hush; The Haunting of Hill House; Midnight Mass).

These aren't all the deepest cut but.....It Follows, The Babadook, A Quiet Place, Barbarian, Train to Busan, The Night House, The Invisible Man, X, His House, Ready or Not, Saint Maud, Under the Skin. Honestly, above all, there's just so many watchable ones. Especially horror-comedies. Freaky, Happy Death Day, The Final Girls, and so on. It's not even about "great" -- the standard for "good" is just so much higher these days. Shlock feels like the outlier.
Thanks for this! I haven't seen a few of these.

Reactions: Magua

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Suburban Sasquatch

(Do not watch this. Ever.)

Another serious vote for Barbarian if you didn’t see that.
I saw the first half of Barbarian right before Game 1 of the 2022 World Series. Felt like I went for a run. Before then, the last time I felt that tense in a viewing experience was when I watched Uncut Gems. I think the Safdies’ mission is to give their audience a heart attack

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Finally got around to watching The Flash.

It really is disappointing how they butchered and rushed their ununiverse. As someone who watched the Flash tv show, getting tired of time travel/multiverse centered content. The ability to make good movies is there...just look at The Batman.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Finally got around to watching The Flash.

It really is disappointing how they butchered and rushed their ununiverse. As someone who watched the Flash tv show, getting tired of time travel/multiverse centered content. The ability to make good movies is there...just look at The Batman.

I was just reading about the DC reboot this morning. I haven't seen Flash yet, but it's one of four movies that were already basically in the can before the reboot really gets going. I love DC to death, way more than Marvel, so I totally agree that it has been shit, but I'm holding out hope that they will turn it around. After "Superman: Legacy" they are doing "The Brave and the Bold" with a bunch of members of the Bat family involved - that could be very nice.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was just reading about the DC reboot this morning. I haven't seen Flash yet, but it's one of four movies that were already basically in the can before the reboot really gets going. I love DC to death, way more than Marvel, so I totally agree that it has been shit, but I'm holding out hope that they will turn it around. After "Superman: Legacy" they are doing "The Brave and the Bold" with a bunch of members of the Bat family involved - that could be very nice.
It's just bothersome because They had the casting perfect with Sups, WW and Aqua. Ben as Bat...didn't like. And I don't like Ezra at all. Cyborg...could not tell you who played him. Just didn't take the time tto get fans invested in each character before bringing them all together.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Why did I Google this?

How the heck do you find these things?

I have friends that are very into moviemaking and in this case B movies. It gets so, so much worse than that.

SS is pretty popular in that community because the incompetence turns hilarious. You know how The Room became a pop culture thing? Now people do that with other bad movies too. Neil Breen gets Alamo Drafthouse screenings.

I am so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so sorry to anyone who did not know who Breen was before now. You didn’t deserve what I just did to you.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I have friends that are very into moviemaking and in this case B movies. It gets so, so much worse than that.

SS is pretty popular in that community because the incompetence turns hilarious. You know how The Room became a pop culture thing? Now people do that with other bad movies too. Neil Breen gets Alamo Drafthouse screenings.

I am so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so sorry to anyone who did not know who Breen was before now. You didn’t deserve what I just did to you.
The purple Sasquatch costume from my quick peek made it look like a home movie.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It's just bothersome because They had the casting perfect with Sups, WW and Aqua. Ben as Bat...didn't like. And I don't like Ezra at all. Cyborg...could not tell you who played him. Just didn't take the time tto get fans invested in each character before bringing them all together.
I hope they shelve Barry Allen and use a different Flash in the James Gunn rebooted DCU. I feel like after a lengthy CW series and now having his own DCU movie and appearing in Justice League they should go the Wally West route like the animated Justice League did.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The purple Sasquatch costume from my quick peek made it look like a home movie.

~$500 budget in 2004. That’s basically what it was. I laughed until I teared up when I saw the police uniforms.

MV5BNWQ0ODg2Y2EtZGUxMy00YTc4LThiOGYtMzhjZDU3YmQ3ZTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY4MjQ1MDE@._V1_.jpg

That’s just brown tape on a tan shirt.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope they shelve Barry Allen and use a different Flash in the James Gunn rebooted DCU. I feel like after a lengthy CW series and now having his own DCU movie and appearing in Justice League they should go the Wally West route like the animated Justice League did.
Would at least allow them to do something different with the character. Especially since the TV show didn't do much with him on Flash, or Legends of Tomorrow

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Check out Anna and the apocalypse.

Reactions: Magua

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I often spend Friday nights on Discord with a bad movie group out of Buffalo and I've gotten to experience two Neil Breen movies so far. I'll take his movies over many of the others because, like Tommy Wiseau, he's so delusionally earnest. Scott Shaw, on the other hand, needs to be beaten to death with a sack of doorknobs.

• Haha

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I never heard of Neil Breen until the past year or so and seeing some yt channels doing his movies and the themes/plots/rants made me think of Qanon. Obviously he predates it by many many years since I think he started his movies and messaging like 15/20 years ago and anti-government/greed stuff isn't uncommon.

But the whole politicians, media, 'crime', 'gangs', toss in rebirth, "god's will", aliens, power of crystals...

I think the world is probably lucky he went into making movies. I think there's an alternate universe where dude goes full-on Heaven's Gate and hundreds of followers commit suicide or something.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I never saw Fire in the Sky ....but this write up and interpretation was interesting enough to make me wanna check it out. If in fact our consciousness survives into other dimensions as recently suggested and we just keep "swapping our skins," I definitely don't want to look like an alien but guessing in alternate universe I may....if so hopefully I'm as cool as Chewbacca..

Fire in the Sky: What the True Story Behind the '90s Movie Tells Us About Aliens Visiting Earth​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad