OT: The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

1648408344954.png

“Don’t Look Up”, “Nightmare Alley”, “Belfast”, "King Richard”, “CODA”, “Dune”, “Licorice Pizza”, “West Side Story”, “Drive My Car”, “The Power of the Dog”

I used search and can't find a movie thread in here. The Oscars are tonight. The Best Picture nominees are listed above. My all-time favorite films are:

Schindler's List - Steven Spielberg.
12 Angry Men - Sidney Lumet
Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa
Harakiri - Masaki Kobayashi
It's a Wonderful Life - Frank Capra
Psycho - Alfred Hitchcock
Casablanca - Michael Curtiz
Modern Times - Charles Chaplin

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

Brotherly love?

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ive only see 4 of the best picture noms so far but ill catch up. How id rank them so far.

1 - Drive My Car
2 - Dont Look Up

3 - The Power of the Dog
4 - Nightmare Alley

Still cant f***ing believe what happened last night.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Ive only see 4 of the best picture noms so far but ill catch up. How id rank them so far.

1 - Drive My Car
2 - Dont Look Up

3 - The Power of the Dog
4 - Nightmare Alley

Still cant f***ing believe what happened last night.

I do need to see Drive My Car.

I've heard some varied opinions on Don't Look Up and Power of the Dog. I'll be honest, I probably should watch Don't Look Up, but I don't have a real interest in either. I definitely do want to see Nightmare Alley though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Its target audience loved it. Youre not going to be able to relate to every movie, and thats ok.
Yeah, I am a big time Disney nerd and my son loves all that stuff too, he was not a fan of Turning Red. I liked it but definitely was not one of the ones with wider appeal. Encanto? Now that's a great flick!

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Disney/Pixar needs to take more risks with its animation. They’ve perfected a style, which is cool, but I think it’s time for innovation

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yeah, I am a big time Disney nerd and my son loves all that stuff too, he was not a fan of Turning Red. I liked it but definitely was not one of the ones with wider appeal. Encanto? Now that's a great flick!

I didn't like how Encanto wrapped up so neatly so quickly. Like, it felt handwaved with all the shit that went on.

Of the recent Disney movies I watched, I liked Turning Red more than Encanto. Trying to think on what I liked more, Coco or Turning Red.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I didn’t like enchanto but I can realize that it’s not a bad movie, it just wasn’t for me. I get that. Turning red is a bad movie.
It had a giant fluffy red panda, and my daughter still didn’t like it.
It was pushed as a kids movie when in reality it’s a young teen movie but it’s not really geared towards them either. It’s geared towards kids. But it’s not written for kids.
It fails flat on everything from its nonexistent jokes, to its art style ripped straight from tumbler, to its music. How the hell does a Disney movie have bad music?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't like how Encanto wrapped up so neatly so quickly. Like, it felt handwaved with all the shit that went on.

Of the recent Disney movies I watched, I liked Turning Red more than Encanto. Trying to think on what I liked more, Coco or Turning Red.
Coco is one of the best IMO. Great story, great songs (albeit not the same kind of songs you think of in a Disney movie), just all around good. Onward I also really liked. I have not seen Raya yet but I have heard good things.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My kids didn’t like it. That’s my reference point.
I’m not the target audience for 99% of all of their stuff but I still manage to recognize good movies and enjoy them.

My daughter and wife loved it. I enjoyed it but it's certainly not one of my favorites.

I also like that it made a lot of squares feel uncomfortable :laugh:

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Coco is one of the best IMO. Great story, great songs (albeit not the same kind of songs you think of in a Disney movie), just all around good. Onward I also really liked. I have not seen Raya yet but I have heard good things.

Raya was the best of the bunch last year for me. Not only story wise, but art, direction, etc.

Reactions: Amorgus

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......all-time all-time:

1. Casablanca
2. Double Indemnity
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's
4. Day the Earth Stood Still
5. Gun Crazy
6. White Heat
7. Maltese Falcon
8. Platoon
9. Animal House
10. North By Northwest
11. Big Heat
12. Vertigo
13. Big Sleep
14. John Ford's Cavalry Trilogy with John Wayne
15. Downfall
16. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
17. LA Confidential
18. Aliens/Alien
19. Witness for the Prosecution
20. Cape Fear [ both versions]
21. Tombstone
22. Conspiracy
23. Postman Always Rings Twice
24. Out of the Past
25. The Apartment

There are tons of others but these I can watch over and over and still find something new in them.

The Top 4 have not changed in probably 30 years. 5-25 through could and have changed over time and mood swings.....

I still watch the big productions when they come on like Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Bridge Over the River Kwai, the Longest Day, etc. but I do not go out of my to watch them if something is good on like the Flyers.........'-))))))

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
My kids didn’t like it. That’s my reference point.
I’m not the target audience for 99% of all of their stuff but I still manage to recognize good movies and enjoy them.
My sons really liked it, but they’re both in double digits now so more the target audience. I definitely preferred it to Encanto.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad