OT: The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That movie ruled. I watched it in 3 sessions over 3 nights and thought it was a blast.

Being discussed in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy Thread, like Star Wars always is. Get your life together.
Oops....not much of a Sci-Fi person apart from UFO's and aliens so haven't delved in that thread..

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Las41PC.gif

@ajgoal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Finally got around to watching GOTG 3. Was a little disappointed.

Really? Maybe it was the theater experience leveling it up, but I thought it was pretty great. Especially for a 3rd installment of a comic franchise.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I watch these superhero movies mostly because I have two t(w)een boys, but I’m generally tired of the genre. Saw both Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle this weekend.

Shazam was awful. The only briefly amusing scene was Helen Mirren deadpan reading a letter. None of the way too many sentimental scenes worked at all. The only thing that made it bearable was hearing my 11 yo mock the film in real time.

I really liked Blue Beetle. It’s far from perfect but it looks and sounds great, and all of the emotional beats resonate. True performances all around, with the exception of the most famous actor in the film playing the villain as a demented scenery-chewing Hillary Clinton.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agree with my paisan...

Looking forward to his new film Killers of the Flower Moon.

Martin Scorsese urges filmmakers to fight comic book movie culture: 'We've got to save cinema'​

He's not entirely wrong and if any living filmmaker deserves to have his opinion on the state of cinema respected even if you disagree, it's Scorcese.

I enjoy comic book/superhero films (though the fatigue is setting in), but i'm starting to miss prestige cinema. That's why Oppenheimer was such a breath of fresh air and it's amazing that it's going to cross the $1 Billion mark worldwide.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
He's not entirely wrong and if any living filmmaker deserves to have his opinion on the state of cinema respected even if you disagree, it's Scorcese.

I enjoy comic book/superhero films (though the fatigue is setting in), but i'm starting to miss prestige cinema. That's why Oppenheimer was such a breath of fresh air and it's amazing that it's going to cross the $1 Billion mark worldwide.
I studied Italian cinema in college as part of my undergrad Italian minor which included studies in lit. Film as an artform has really been cratered by Hollywood for various reasons including $$$ of course. People anymore have no clue what constitutes true film. I am entertained by comic book movie culture in doses but its prevalence has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
There's absolutely nothing wrong with superpowered individual movies no matter what medium the character or setting originated from. Cinema has gone through periods where you had lots of copycat and similar setting movies. Whether it be gangster movies, Westerns, War movies, etc...

I think the main problem is having movies that exist just to drag the viewer along to the next one, or to subscribing and paying for a TV series and it isn't about actually telling a specific story, just dragging the viewer along.

Although again this isn't something 'new'. You look back to when movie theaters had 'serials' and it was about getting that person to come back for the next one.

The bigger overriding issue goes beyond comic books. It's that major studios just don't want to take chances anymore. It's all about adapting/continuing existing stories for reboots, live-action versions, remakes, endless sequels...

If you look at say WB's upcoming movie release schedule. Something like 90% of it is sequels or reboots.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I plan on seeing this new sci-fi flick The Creator. Reviews are great and they are calling it one of the most original sci-fi movies of the century so far. Gareth Edwards' first movie since Rogue One.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

He isn't wrong, even if he's being a wee bit old man-cloud about it. But I have a question for Mr. Scorsese: why on earth did The Irishman cost $250MM? And Killers of the Flower Moon > $200MM? That's not a good investment. Oppenheimer was made for $100MM! Hell, The Batman cost the same as Flower Moon. Dune for less. That's nuts, if you're going to decry how much franchise movies suck up studio dollars. And they do. But this scene probably cost as much as the Trinity Test in Oppenheimer:

main-qimg-fd964099e10a193d71eed115b66a670e

I think horror and animation are in an amazing place in reliable cost to quality. Some of the truest cinema experiences are still found in foreign language films -- and I think that's as true today as in the 1950s. It will always be true.

The $80-100MM prestige film is a dying breed and that stinks. I also think Scorsese overestimates peoples' intelligence and tastes to some degree. I'm a TCM junkie-- most aren't. It's a consumer issue as much as a studio issue. Streaming and endless prestige TV/limited series have permanently changed the market. There's still some awesome production companies like A24 that produce what I crave. Or Searchlight. Or whatever.

I think the main problem is having movies that exist just to drag the viewer along to the next one, or to subscribing and paying for a TV series and it isn't about actually telling a specific story, just dragging the viewer along.

I made this exact point the other day in the Quackverse thread. You phrased it better than me. There is no genre I can't enjoy, but the feeling of being perma-strung along is exhausting. Tentpole films so rarely feel like a complete experience. Or the work of someone with a distinctive vision. The fatigue is real looking at the box office.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He isn't wrong, even if he's being a wee bit old man-cloud about it. But I have a question for Mr. Scorsese: why on earth did The Irishman cost $250MM? And Killers of the Flower Moon > $200MM? That's not a good investment. Oppenheimer was made for $100MM! Hell, The Batman cost the same as Flower Moon. Dune for less. That's nuts, if you're going to decry how much franchise movies suck up studio dollars. And they do. But this scene probably cost as much as the Trinity Test in Oppenheimer:

I think horror and animation are in an amazing place in reliable cost to quality. Some of the truest cinema experiences are still found in foreign language films -- and I think that's as true today as in the 1950s. It will always be true.

The $80-100MM prestige film is a dying breed and that stinks. I also think Scorsese overestimates peoples' intelligence and tastes to some degree. I'm a TCM junkie-- most aren't. It's a consumer issue as much as a studio issue. Streaming and endless prestige TV/limited series have permanently changed the market. There's still some awesome production companies like A24 that produce what I crave. Or Searchlight. Or whatever.

I made this exact point the other day in the Quackverse thread. You phrased it better than me. There is no genre I can't enjoy, but the feeling of being perma-strung along is exhausting. Tentpole films so rarely feel like a complete experience. Or the work of someone with a distinctive vision. The fatigue is real looking at the box office.

I have never had a use for horror movies. They’re just not my thing. They’re very much my wife’s thing, so I end up seeing parts of a lot of them. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but they really are one of the last bastions of trying to be different and interesting.

Even when they don’t end up being to my personal taste, I appreciate the effort and care that goes into trying to implement an original idea. I’m the guy who would walk out of work when it got shitty, head over to one of the Ritzes, and see whatever was next to clear my mind. I don’t mind weird. I do mind formulaic.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Agree with my paisan...

Looking forward to his new film Killers of the Flower Moon.

Martin Scorsese urges filmmakers to fight comic book movie culture: 'We've got to save cinema'​

He's right.

The current state of cinema has made filmmakers like Scorsese even more important. We need more movies made by actual filmmakers that care about their craft and less studio committee cookie cutter crowd pleasers based on comic books or Disney property.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I have never had a use for horror movies. They’re just not my thing. They’re very much my wife’s thing, so I end up seeing parts of a lot of them. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but they really are one of the last bastions of trying to be different and interesting.

Even when they don’t end up being to my personal taste, I appreciate the effort and care that goes into trying to implement an original idea. I’m the guy who would walk out of work when it got shitty, head over to one of the Ritzes, and see whatever was next to clear my mind. I don’t mind weird. I do mind formulaic.

Kitten loves horror movies of all kinds. We occasionally have "corny, cheesy, scary movie" night where we just browse streaming services and find whatever we find to watch. Many of them are bad, sometimes so bad they're funny, but we occasionally come across some good ones.

If you want a horror movie that will take you places you never thought a horror film would, check out Before I Wake. From 2016 starring Kate Bosworth and Thomas Jane. It's nothing if not unique.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The source material for the story is apparently pretty full of shit as well. The FBI thought it was laughable the guy Frank Sheeran somehow convinced a writer & publisher to publish that book. The guy was essentially a low level union goon but somehow convinced people that he was involved in two noteworthy mafia hits as well as the Bay of Pigs Invasion. :laugh:

Reactions: Magua

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The source material for the story is apparently pretty full of shit as well. The FBI thought it was laughable the guy Frank Sheeran somehow convinced a writer & publisher to publish that book. The guy was essentially a low level union goon but somehow convinced people that he was involved in two noteworthy mafia hits as well as the Bay of Pigs Invasion. :laugh:

He's related to an old friend of mine (dads cousin I think?). I remember her telling me about him and the book back in 2006 or so.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Mainstream horror is kind of in sequel hell.

Are you aware of this series:

Some classic Japanese horror movies mentioned

Last edited:
Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Mainstream horror is kind of in sequel hell.

I feel like horror, at its worst, is always in sequel hell. Because the best and worst parts are how cheap they cost. That can mean sequel hell (for franchises I'd argue were rarely, if ever, good). Or that can mean a lot of risk taking on bold ideas and young filmmakers. I think the genre has really trended towards the latter in the last decade. I don't need to name all the directors and films, but on average, the consistency in quality, and the seriousness with which it's taken, feels like we're in a second golden age. In a time where it feels like MCU or indie, horror movies were basically built to thrive -- artistically and financially -- in this market.

Are you aware of this series:

Yeah, I've watched the closet before. Criterion actually has a streaming service, The Criterion Channel, if you're a hardcore movie geek. I've gotten the trial before, and I should just subscribe. The breadth of options from every decade and country is honestly overwhelming.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I feel like horror, at its worst, is always in sequel hell. Because the best and worst parts are how cheap they cost. That can mean sequel hell (for franchises I'd argue were rarely, if ever, good). Or that can mean a lot of risk taking on bold ideas and young filmmakers. I think the genre has really trended towards the latter in the last decade. I don't need to name all the directors and films, but on average, the consistency in quality, and the seriousness with which it's taken, feels like we're in a second golden age. In a time where it feels like MCU or indie, horror movies were basically built to thrive -- artistically and financially -- in this market.

Yeah, I've watched the closet before. Criterion actually has a streaming service, The Criterion Channel, if you're a hardcore movie geek. I've gotten the trial before, and I should just subscribe. The breadth of options from every decade and country is honestly overwhelming.
What are some of your favorite recent horror movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad