The Metro Race to the Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Yep. Pens dropping 4 straight, 6 of last 9, and their last 2 home games by a combined score of 11-3 look like as good of a first round option as any.

They may get a few players back, but I can't imagine they're anywhere close to 100% in just two weeks. They'll still be tough series though if they can get at least Malkin and a couple other starters back.

You forgot the injury excuse. :sarcasm: I don't know how the Pens have even iced the team over the past month or so. Sorry, but I revel in the Pens misery and I hope we inflict more on them in the playoffs.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I think if the Pens are healthy we lose in 6. Banged up we lose in 7. Sad but the last games show that we aren't playing very good hockey right now.

Lol. Outside of canes, who is playing good hockey? Pens fans trying to find way to dive for WC to avoid CBJ.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Nobody in the east has 2 top 5 Centers on their team. They also got a 1D and several other very good players on their team. Pens have so many injuries right now... really don't get your point.

To be honest, the only player on their team that scares me is Malkin. I think that if it was just Crosby by himself, we would have won the series in 2014 and this year I think we would win in 5 or 6 games. I think the Pens are pretty mortal with just Crosby. When you add Malkin to the mix, they are far more dangerous. Letang is certainly a big loss, probably Hagelin too. Hainsey and Daley, while veterans, are pretty run of the mill players IMO.

On our side, our defense has been solid, but I'd really like to have Murray back in the lineup. I've been pleasantly surprised by Quincey. Pretty solid acquisition by Jarmo.

Regardless of what happens, it is looking like it will be a war with the Pens again. If the Jackets want a rivalry, now is the time to step up. This series may get national attention as well. I would actually rather watch the series on national TV versus Fox Sports Ohio.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
To be honest, the only player on their team that scares me is Malkin. I think that if it was just Crosby by himself, we would have won the series in 2014 and this year I think we would win in 5 or 6 games. I think the Pens are pretty mortal with just Crosby. When you add Malkin to the mix, they are far more dangerous. Letang is certainly a big loss, probably Hagelin too. Hainsey and Daley, while veterans, are pretty run of the mill players IMO.

On our side, our defense has been solid, but I'd really like to have Murray back in the lineup. I've been pleasantly surprised by Quincey. Pretty solid acquisition by Jarmo.

Regardless of what happens, it is looking like it will be a war with the Pens again. If the Jackets want a rivalry, now is the time to step up. This series may get national attention as well. I would actually rather watch the series on national TV versus Fox Sports Ohio.

Pleasantly surprised is an understatement. I still can't figure out why NJD wanted this trade. It is a massive upgrade from Prout.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I never thought in my wildest dreams as a Blue Jackets fan my team would be sitting at 106 points with games remaining and I wouldn't feel good about how the team is playing.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I never thought in my wildest dreams as a Blue Jackets fan my team would be sitting at 106 points with games remaining and I wouldn't feel good about how the team is playing.

And its hard because overall the record and points have been great lately... but at the same time I think the majority of us know if we continue playing like this - the likely end result is a quiiiiiick 1st round exit.

However, there definitely still are a few around here who are still clinging to the 'ultra-positive' it'll all be ok gimmick... which is fine, whatever floats your boat I guess.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
And its hard because overall the record and points have been great lately... but at the same time I think the majority of us know if we continue playing like this - the likely end result is a quiiiiiick 1st round exit.

However, there definitely still are a few around here who are still clinging to the 'ultra-positive' it'll all be ok gimmick... which is fine, whatever floats your boat I guess.

The Pens have stumbled way more than the Jackets so the #2 and #3 teams in the league are limping to the finish line, although the Jackets are finding ways to get points.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Remember when we used to go on runs at the end of seasons and other fans would say "you're only winning because teams are either out of it or they're resting up for the playoffs"?

I always thought that was overblown, but there's truth in it. I think our guys have played differently since clinching the playoff spot and I'm not worried about whether they'll be ready when the games get serious. Our record in "playoff type" games speaks for itself. When this team is emotionally up for a game they are hard to beat.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The Pens have stumbled way more than the Jackets so the #2 and #3 teams in the league are limping to the finish line, although the Jackets are finding ways to get points.

The Penguins have had legitimate reasons to stumble with half their roster being injured - LOL...

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Remember when we used to go on runs at the end of seasons and other fans would say "you're only winning because teams are either out of it or they're resting up for the playoffs"?

I always thought that was overblown, but there's truth in it. I think our guys have played differently since clinching the playoff spot and I'm not worried about whether they'll be ready when the games get serious. Our record in "playoff type" games speaks for itself. When this team is emotionally up for a game they are hard to beat.

If you listen to Bobby Mac's CBJin30 podcast, he and Torts spoke about this mentality. It's definitely real. I know a lot of people seemed worried about the team's performance level of late, but I'm confident that it will be back to standard come playoff time.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Games of Interest 3/31/17

The Blue Jackets fly to Chicago this morning to take on the Blackhawks tonight.

The Pens travel to the Garden to take on the Rangers. Mediocre road team versus mediocre home team. Who wins?

The Caps look to extend their winning streak to 7 as they take on the Coyotes. On the surface, looks like they'll come into Columbus searching for #8 on Sunday.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you listen to Bobby Mac's CBJin30 podcast, he and Torts spoke about this mentality. It's definitely real. I know a lot of people seemed worried about the team's performance level of late, but I'm confident that it will be back to standard come playoff time.

I agree that the intensity will be back. Not worried about that.

But will the offense start clicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad