OT: The Menu 20 Captain Dave Poulin/ Cody Webster Steak edition

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I was looking at a rice cooker with a built-in steamer, anybody use one and if so your thoughts.
It really depends on the countertop space you have. But like @Starat327 said you can make pretty good rice in an Instantpot and it's a multitasker. As an avid fan of Alton Brown, you shouldn't have too many unitaskers in the kitchen.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It really depends on the countertop space you have. But like @Starat327 said you can make pretty good rice in an Instantpot and it's a multitasker. As an avid fan of Alton Brown, you shouldn't have too many unitaskers in the kitchen.
Rice cooker is worth it though. I prefer it to pressure cooker or stovetop rice and it’s easier. Plus it takes up less space.

I was anti rice cooker for the same reason Alton brown preaches and felt like it was cheating, then I realized every Asian person I know has a rice cooker so I no longer had a good reason not to get one

Reactions: Chinatown88

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Rice cooker is worth it though. I prefer it to pressure cooker or stovetop rice and it’s easier. Plus it takes up less space.

I was anti rice cooker for the same reason Alton brown preaches and felt like it was cheating, then I realized every Asian person I know has a rice cooker so I no longer had a good reason not to get one
Of course I prefer the rice cooker over the InstantPot. But I can't suggest a rice in good conscience if it's not going to be used everyday/ample counter top room.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Of course I prefer the rice cooker over the InstantPot. But I can't suggest a rice in good conscience if it's not going to be used everyday/ample counter top room.
There is a relationship between how easy it is to store and use the rice cooker and how often it’s made that makes it worth it

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Just get an instapot.
Is that similar to a crock pot? I was looking for something relatively quick and easy.
I don't do much cooking but I'm eating out way too much and need to eat better. I was looking at a 5 cup dry that had a steamer on top. Really something I can cook a bunch of rice, steam some vegetables and cook some chicken on the stove then eat that for a couple of days.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is that similar to a crock pot? I was looking for something relatively quick and easy.

I don't do much cooking but I'm eating out way too much and need to eat better. I was looking at a 5 cup dry that had a steamer on top. Really something I can cook a bunch of rice, steam some vegetables and cook some chicken on the stove then eat that for a couple of days.

The instapot cooks everything. And it does it very quickly. You can also make soups and stews in it. We make a mean white bean chili in there and it takes like 15 minutes

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
The instapot cooks everything. And it does it very quickly. You can also make soups and stews in it. We make a mean white bean chili in there and it takes like 15 minutes
That sounds like something I have to check out

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Insta pot may not be the best rice cooker per se, but its such a fantastic all in one tool. Given your objective is to eat healthier, and not just to eat rice, I'd say go with that. When j get bsck home I can send you some recipes, as well. I get back from Vermont Friday.
Appreciate it immensely. Hope the wife is doing well as well as Nahla

Reactions: Starat327

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Insta pot may not be the best rice cooker per se, but its such a fantastic all in one tool. Given your objective is to eat healthier, and not just to eat rice, I'd say go with that. When j get bsck home I can send you some recipes, as well. I get back from Vermont Friday.
Send them my way too please

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This is the pinnacle of existence.

20220818_133414.jpg

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
God damn it. I toil all day in the Costco Deli, making delicious take home meals for our members. Then I get home, and I just want to relax, so I log into hf, and check out my favorite thread on my favorite board, and see this disgusting reminder of what I just left. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Happy anniversary, bud. Food looks great ;)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Lunch was from cockadoodle dans, chicken cutlet with stuffed longhots and garlic aioli, and jalapeño bacon cheese fries(could take or leave these ones)
C596DFB5-F94A-425E-AF95-493266A44361.jpeg
A14703C5-0E89-4164-AA63-0C2C80290127.jpeg

In the pan is my one lone longhot that grew with some salt and garlic. Roasting it to go on the chicken my wife made last night. If it’s not a longhot I’m going to be in for a painful surprise.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
God damn it. I toil all day in the Costco Deli, making delicious take home meals for our members. Then I get home, and I just want to relax, so I log into hf, and check out my favorite thread on my favorite board, and see this disgusting reminder of what I just left. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Happy anniversary, bud. Food looks great ;)

You should be thrilled you even get to serve such an exclusive and elite secret club

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
We modify this slightly to make it a little spicier, but here's the base. @Lord Defect

Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
That looks damn good and the fact that you just throw the chicken in with everything else makes it a no brainer. Just one question old school pressure cookers were a potential bomb waiting to go off, I'm assuming the insta-pot has some safety features built in.

Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad