OT: The Jukebox: What are you listening to?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Die Antwoord is hilarious, good call. Edit - Did you see Chappie? If so, any good?

Do you listen to Bishop Briggs at all? Not a lot of synth-pop influence there, but she's one of my favourite alt/indie artists right now. She recently collaborated with Cold War Kids (on a song called 'So Tied Up'), who are also awesome. I'd recommend starting with 'River', 'Pray (Empty Gun)', and 'Wild Horses' for those who want to check her out.

Tash Sultana could be up your alley as well, she's a solo artist who performs using a looping pedal. She sings, beatboxes, and absolutely wails on the guitar. 'Jungle' and 'Murder to the Mind' are both outstanding tracks.

I saw them live at Osheaga in the summer and it was an absolute riot. Chappie was pretty mediocre. I love their music and personas, but they are not good actors. I'm going to stick to their music vids.

Bishop Briggs crosses my spotify occasionally and while I think Wild Horses is a good song, she's never really stuck with me. I'll have to check out Tash Sultana. Thanks for the recommendations.

Reactions: IBeL13f

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Funny, had a buddy who did the sound for Sloan for the longest time. He now works with The Trews.
Matt Mayes and El Torpedo is another pretty good east coast band(from Dartmouth, N.S.). Their second album(Matt Mayes and El Torpedo) is a favorite but has many subsequent good ones as well.
"on the hood" is a great tune.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matt Mayes and El Torpedo is another pretty good east coast band(from Dartmouth, N.S.). Their second album(Matt Mayes and El Torpedo) is a favorite but has many subsequent good ones as well.
"on the hood" is a great tune.
Thanks, listening to it now.

member 262271

Kind of a melo and sad night for my tunes this evening. While browsing through HFboards, I listened to Fade Into You by Mazzy Star, So Real by Jeff Buckley, and Wake Up by Mad Season. Lately on the drive to and from work it's been the Foo Fighters, Big Wreck or Big Sugar, on repeat.
Mad Season! So good.

member 262271

220px-Timefadesaway.jpeg
220px-On_the_Beach_-_Neil_Young.jpg
220px-Neil_Young_TTN_cover.jpg
Ahh the Ditch trilogy. Well done sir.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Lately it's been a lot of Hans Zimmer (e.g. Interstellar) , Led Zeppelin and the soundtrack from Blade Runner.

Reactions: slozo and IBeL13f

member 262271

I've had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times - What a kickass show
Same - saw him last year and he's still got it at almost 70. My favorite cover band recently did the Killer album and some of Love it to Death, great times.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Lately it's been a lot of Hans Zimmer (e.g. Interstellar) , Led Zeppelin and the soundtrack from Blade Runner.
Hans Zimmer is incredible. The only score of his I haven't been a big fan of was True Romance, but I have a feeling that was Tony Scott looking for a specific feel than it was bad work by Zimmer.

If you like film soundtracks, I highly, highly recommend Clint Mansell's 'The Fountain' score - 'Death Is The Road To Awe' is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, let alone from a film.

Very different from either of those guys, but Nobuo Uematsu is another amazing composer (best known for the Final Fantasy games). I challenge anyone to listen to the Advent Children version of 'One-Winged Angel' without getting just the most jacked up.

Reactions: ITM

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You can tell I'm a fair bit older than most of the people on here, I still listen to Tool and Metallica with some Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana thrown in

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Thanks, listening to it now.
Some old school east coast music: Minglewood and Buddy and the Boys were very popular down east in their day. "Whiz kids" by Minglewood is a fave, "I got the working at the Woolco manager trainee blues" by Buddy was also pretty good.

member 262271

You can tell I'm a fair bit older than most of the people on here, I still listen to Tool and Metallica with some Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana thrown in
I'm in my 30s, but my musical tastes rarely travel outside of the confines of 60s-90s.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Hans Zimmer is incredible. The only score of his I haven't been a big fan of was True Romance, but I have a feeling that was Tony Scott looking for a specific feel than it was bad work by Zimmer.

If you like film soundtracks, I highly, highly recommend Clint Mansell's 'The Fountain' score - 'Death Is The Road To Awe' is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, let alone from a film.

Very different from either of those guys, but Nobuo Uematsu is another amazing composer (best known for the Final Fantasy games). I challenge anyone to listen to the Advent Children version of 'One-Winged Angel' without getting just the most jacked up.

Familiar with Mansell and agree re: Death is The Road To Awe. Not familiar with Uematsu though, but I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad