OT: The Jukebox: What are you listening to?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Lots of metal, progressive rock, and recently some indie-pop as well.

Just discovered Unleash The Archers recently, who kick quite a bit of ass, but also listening to a lot of Kamelot, Mors Principium Est, Coheed and Cambria, Porcupine Tree, and lighter stuff like Borns, Grizfolk, Vinyl Theatre, and Nova Scotia-based Port Cities. Pretty much everything in between, as well, from classic rock to post-hardcore.

Reactions: Metroid

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lots of metal, progressive rock, and recently some indie-pop as well.

Just discovered Unleash The Archers recently, who kick quite a bit of ass, but also listening to a lot of Kamelot, Mors Principium Est, Coheed and Cambria, Porcupine Tree, and lighter stuff like Borns, Grizfolk, Vinyl Theatre, and Nova Scotia-based Port Cities. Pretty much everything in between, as well, from classic rock to post-hardcore.
I like East Coast music, can you suggest a Port Cities song for me to sample?
I was surprised at how big a catalogue they have in the iTunes store.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My favourite is 1980/90's classic rock ... Bon Jovi, Journey, Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick, Loverboy, Areosmith, Streetheart, U2, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Foreigner, Asia etc

Currently of the newer stuff its .. The Killers, Imagine Dragons, 3 Doors Down, OneRepublic, etc

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
220px-Timefadesaway.jpeg
220px-On_the_Beach_-_Neil_Young.jpg
220px-Neil_Young_TTN_cover.jpg

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's been almost non-stop Hip since Gordie passed away. I've always been a big fan, but lately i've been diving deeper into albums and not just sticking to the popular songs. They are such an amazing band and I think subconsciously i'm trying to keep them going by constantly listening. I've also been listening to Greta Van Fleet a lot.

Reactions: Sniper99

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I like East Coast music, can you suggest a Port Cities song for me to sample?
I was surprised at how big a catalogue they have in the iTunes store.
Their whole debut album, self-titled 'Port Cities', is excellent, but my favourite songs are probably 'The Out', 'Body + Soul', and 'In The Dark'.

They're not terribly east-coasty, actually - closer a modern Fleetwood Mac - but they're awesome.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Lately I've been listening to a lot of late Johnny Cash. Other than that it's my usual mixture of anything from Ben Howard to John Frusciante to Nine Inch Nails.

Ive seen Ben Howard three times in Toronto, he always puts on a great show. The first venue was small enough to hang out with him and his band after, but that was a few years ago and he’s doing bigger places now.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's been almost non-stop Hip since Gordie passed away. I've always been a big fan, but lately i've been diving deeper into albums and not just sticking to the popular songs. They are such an amazing band and I think subconsciously i'm trying to keep them going by constantly listening. I've also been listening to Greta Van Fleet a lot.

:clap: Check out The Record Company.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Their whole debut album, self-titled 'Port Cities', is excellent, but my favourite songs are probably 'The Out', 'Body + Soul', and 'In The Dark'.

They're not terribly east-coasty, actually - closer a modern Fleetwood Mac - but they're awesome.
Thanks, maybe I'll just grab the album.

Do you know The Trews? Wife is a huge fan

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Thanks, maybe I'll just grab the album.

Do you know The Trews? Wife is a huge fan
Yep, I'm familiar - They're not my favourites, but I find them to be pretty inoffensive Canadiana (kinda Joel Plaskett-y, who's worth checking out if you like the east-coast feel). Never had really strong feelings about them either way.

If I had to pick an all-time favourite east-coast group, it's Sloan, hands down - 'Twice Removed' is a genius album. Wintersleep is also excellent, with 'Welcome To The Night Sky' being my favourite album of theirs, and Port Cities just needs to prove that they can do it again.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I go on YT while at work or studying and type in the first album that comes to mind. I'll turn on AutoPlay and let it run through all of the recommended albums, etc. Great way to discover new bands. The following is essentially all I've been listening to for the past month or so:

Air Raid
Ambush
The Wizards
Duel
Spellcaster
Night
Ancient Empire
Lord Fist
Blazon Stone
Holy Grail
White Wizzard
Tribulation

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I go on YT while at work or studying and type in the first album that comes to mind. I'll turn on AutoPlay and let it run through all of the recommended albums, etc. Great way to discover new bands. The following is essentially all I've been listening to for the past month or so:

Air Raid
Ambush
The Wizards
Duel
Spellcaster
Night
Ancient Empire
Lord Fist
Blazon Stone
Holy Grail
White Wizzard
Tribulation
Don't know any of these (except maaaaaaybe Tribulation) - Judging by your avatar (very nice) and the names, I'm assuming these are mostly metal?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yep, I'm familiar - They're not my favourites, but I find them to be pretty inoffensive Canadiana (kinda Joel Plaskett-y, who's worth checking out if you like the east-coast feel). Never had really strong feelings about them either way.

If I had to pick an all-time favourite east-coast group, it's Sloan, hands down - 'Twice Removed' is a genius album. Wintersleep is also excellent, with 'Welcome To The Night Sky' being my favourite album of theirs, and Port Cities just needs to prove that they can do it again.
Funny, had a buddy who did the sound for Sloan for the longest time. He now works with The Trews.

Reactions: IBeL13f

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Recently been getting into podcasts and been enjoying them a lot while I do other things.
Hockey, animation, motivation. It seems like there's podcasts for anything now.
joe Rogan has some pretty interesting people on his podcast, he's a pretty smart guy!

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Don't know any of these (except maaaaaaybe Tribulation) - Judging by your avatar (very nice) and the names, I'm assuming these are mostly metal?

Yep! Most of them are considered part of the "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal". The Wizards and Night lean towards heavy rock rather than heavy metal, while Duel has elements of Stoner & Doom. For example, Blazon Stone originally started as a Running Wild cover band. You'll definitely be able to tell if you give them a listen lol. Air Raid are probably my favorite band right now. They absolutely rip.

Tribulation are the only band on the list that I wouldn't consider a part of the NWOTHM movement, as they're prog black metal and the only band on the list to feature harsh vocals. They just released a new album ("Down Below") and it's absolutely incredible. Not your typical black metal.

I also forgot to include Enforcer and Skull Fist to the list. Riffs for days!!!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yep! Most of them are considered part of the "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal". The Wizards and Night lean towards heavy rock rather than heavy metal, while Duel has elements of Stoner & Doom. For example, Blazon Stone originally started as a Running Wild cover band. You'll definitely be able to tell if you give them a listen lol. Air Raid are probably my favorite band right now. They absolutely rip.

Tribulation are the only band on the list that I wouldn't consider a part of the NWOTHM movement, as they're prog black metal and the only band on the list to feature harsh vocals. They just released a new album ("Down Below") and it's absolutely incredible. Not your typical black metal.

I also forgot to include Enforcer and Skull Fist to the list. Riffs for days!!!
Right on, I'll have to check some of these out! Anciients (from BC) is probably my favourite stoner metal band, but I'm starting to get into a little more of the sludge/death metal, with bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, and Amorphis (all of whom contain pretty heavy growling, though I usually prefer clean vocals). If you're into prog-metal, Rishloo is one that I've recently discovered that's really interesting.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Right on, I'll have to check some of these out! Anciients (from BC) is probably my favourite stoner metal band, but I'm starting to get into a little more of the sludge/death metal, with bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, and Amorphis (all of whom contain pretty heavy growling, though I usually prefer clean vocals). If you're into prog-metal, Rishloo is one that I've recently discovered that's really interesting.

Anciients are great! I've listened to "Heart of Oak" more than a few times. Lol "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" by Amorphis is a death/doom classic!

I've never heard of Rishloo. Will definitely have to check them out!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I like alternative/indie rock with synth-pop influences and often lean towards female singers.

My favourite band is CHVRCHES, which is closely followed by Tove Lo. American Idiot by Green Day is my favourite album of all time.

I routinely listen to albums by Muse, Awolnation, Blondie, and Kendrick Lamar. The Dandy Warhols also get a lot of playtime in my car. Anybody looking for a trip should check out Die Antwoord.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I like alternative/indie rock with synth-pop influences and often lean towards female singers.

My favourite band is CHVRCHES, which is closely followed by Tove Lo. American Idiot by Green Day is my favourite album of all time.

I routinely listen to albums by Muse, Awolnation, Blondie, and Kendrick Lamar. The Dandy Warhols also get a lot of playtime in my car. Anybody looking for a trip should check out Die Antwoord.
Die Antwoord is hilarious, good call. Edit - Did you see Chappie? If so, any good?

Do you listen to Bishop Briggs at all? Not a lot of synth-pop influence there, but she's one of my favourite alt/indie artists right now. She recently collaborated with Cold War Kids (on a song called 'So Tied Up'), who are also awesome. I'd recommend starting with 'River', 'Pray (Empty Gun)', and 'Wild Horses' for those who want to check her out.

Tash Sultana could be up your alley as well, she's a solo artist who performs using a looping pedal. She sings, beatboxes, and absolutely wails on the guitar. 'Jungle' and 'Murder to the Mind' are both outstanding tracks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad