The Josh Anderson Thread

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Is this a new agent tactic? Requesting a trade without letting the team know first? And if agent said no comment and GM says there is no request, how did Friedman know?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Is this a new agent tactic? Requesting a trade without letting the team know first? And if agent said no comment and GM says there is no request, how do Friedman know?

Probably talked to someone who claimed to be in the know. Maybe even Rick Pitino

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
If this is indeed true, the only way I'd trade him is if it netted Duchene. Otherwise, let him go play in Europe and see how he likes playing in a second rate league.

BTW this is the poster formerly known as Kev22, so not my first time posting.

Reactions: We Want Ten

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Our front office's hard line negotiation tactics have again drove away a good young player. Infuriating. Hopefully Jarmo can rebound and get a good player in return like last time, but my god that is unbelievable.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Our front office's hard line negotiation tactics have again drove away a good young player. Infuriating. Hopefully Jarmo can rebound and get a good player in return like last time, but my god that is unbelievable.

I feel like the alternative is to give in and lose someone else down the road due to cap constraints. Not saying that specifically about the numbers/player involved here, but generally I like the frugality and "go prove it" stance that's so different from years prior. No more country club.

Reactions: cbjlurker

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The teams worked hard to establish their control and leverage over players coming off their ELC. They shouldn't be expected to give those rights up just because a player wants more money.

If Anderson thinks he is worth more, he can sign an offersheet from another team. Oh wait, no other team has provided one and this is the only offer on the table? Well I guess his choice is simple then.

It's like people don't understand contract negotiations. If you want more, you have to exert leverage over the other party. Anderson has no leverage, so he is at the team's whim. The roles will reverse when he becomes a UFA. He just has to play out his time until then.

Reactions: CPTN71

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Well the lack of an offer sheet isn't something I'd read anything into. Teams will respectfully not submit them in some cases, especially if the team with the RFA has a good reputation in the league.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Like a clockwork lol, there are only two players that caused troubles under current FO one of them has an agent with reputation (4 players is not a coincidence), not a single player went for arbitration, but of course, that greedy FO!

Reactions: CPTN71

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well the lack of an offer sheet isn't something I'd read anything into. Teams will respectfully not submit them in some cases, especially if the team with the RFA has a good reputation in the league.

Sure but that doesn't change the fact that there is only one offer on the table.

If the players want to make the case that teams are conspiring to deprive them of a contractually negotiated right, then let them bring their proof.

Also if teams are conspiring, and the difference is only $150,000 AAV but the Jackets don't want to lose face to a holdout, why not have Jarmo ask another GM to field an offersheet for that amount? Anderson would sign, Jackets could match, and everyone could carry on.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I keep reading about Jarmo being a hard*ss based on the $150,000 difference between offer/asked. Can someone post the source or link that cites this as the gap?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

juno89

May 30, 2013
I am having trouble putting my finger on why, but I tend to come down on the side of the Team or ownership on many of these matters. I can speculate several reason... perhaps I am very subtlety bitter about what these guys make as compared to what I make, perhaps since the players are constantly moving and changing the only thing I have any real attachment to is the uniform and arena and thus ownership, perhaps it is the fact that people refer to this job as a game which seems to diminished ever so slightly what they do. Whatever the reason, we the fans suffer for the problems on either side. I suppose I would have to be truly faced with the decision to answer the question "How can you turn down that contract offer over so little money?" But armchair QB I am I personally would have to take the offer, so I suppose that's the real root of why I come down with the ownership.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Columbus Blue Jackets - John Anderson -- 2017

Winnipeg Jets - Jacob Trouba -- 2016

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The teams worked hard to establish their control and leverage over players coming off their ELC. They shouldn't be expected to give those rights up just because a player wants more money.

If Anderson thinks he is worth more, he can sign an offersheet from another team. Oh wait, no other team has provided one and this is the only offer on the table? Well I guess his choice is simple then.

It's like people don't understand contract negotiations. If you want more, you have to exert leverage over the other party. Anderson has no leverage, so he is at the team's whim. The roles will reverse when he becomes a UFA. He just has to play out his time until then.

They're off by 150k. Just give it to him for f***s sake. Is it really that serious? You like the player, you kept him away from Vegas at a premium price, pay him what he's worth, and if it's 150k (!!!!) over market value then just give it to him. It's not giving up your rights, it's just getting the deal done. Giving Anderson's side a 150k win doesn't mean the next RFA is going to get 1 million more than he deserves. This is not a hill to die on, but apparently to Jarmo and JD it is.

Offer sheets are dead. GM's have an unwritten code that they won't do it. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Thanks....Yep, I read that, too. But as too often the case, it's all anonymous source stuff. I cartainly can't say it may not be true, no more than I can conclude that it is.

If I were guessing - and that's all it is - the issue may be as much about term than dollars. My own view a fair dollar amount is somewhere between $2.0-$2.25M.....But that's just my take which obviously has no bearing on what they are thinking. :laugh:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They're off by 150k. Just give it to him for ****s sake. Is it really that serious? You like the player, you kept him away from Vegas at a premium price, pay him what he's worth, and if it's 150k (!!!!) over market value then just give it to him. It's not giving up your rights, it's just getting the deal done. Giving Anderson's side a 150k win doesn't mean the next RFA is going to get 1 million more than he deserves. This is not a hill to die on, but apparently to Jarmo and JD it is.

Offer sheets are dead. GM's have an unwritten code that they won't do it. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this.

Nobody's dying on a hill with or without JA. He's not that necessary. :)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They're off by 150k. Just give it to him for ****s sake. Is it really that serious? You like the player, you kept him away from Vegas at a premium price, pay him what he's worth, and if it's 150k (!!!!) over market value then just give it to him. It's not giving up your rights, it's just getting the deal done. Giving Anderson's side a 150k win doesn't mean the next RFA is going to get 1 million more than he deserves. This is not a hill to die on, but apparently to Jarmo and JD it is.
That's not how this works. You don't just give a player extra money because they demand it. The team has rights.

If that sounds familiar, that's because that's what John Davidson said during the Ryan Johansen negotiations.

Also, I think we might be overvaluing the impact of the deal with Vegas. That deal was to stay away from multiple players (Korpisalo, Anderson, Johnson, maybe others), not just Anderson, as well as taking on Clarkson's contract. Anderson was just a part of the deal, not the focus of it.

Reactions: Maylo and CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A player with only *1* full NHL season under his belt with a known stubborn agent is using hard line negotiation tactics that tend to backfire on said good young player. Infuriating. Hopefully Jarmo can rebound and get a good player in return like last time, but my god that is unbelievable.

Fixed it for you... no worries.

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
If we can use Anderson to net a center I am all for it at this point. Whether it was the FO or his agent time to move on. Sucks though.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's not how this works. You don't just give a player extra money because they demand it. The team has rights.

If that sounds familiar, that's because that's what John Davidson said during the Ryan Johansen negotiations.

Also, I think we might be overvaluing the impact of the deal with Vegas. That deal was to stay away from multiple players (Korpisalo, Anderson, Johnson, maybe others), not just Anderson, as well as taking on Clarkson's contract. Anderson was just a part of the deal, not the focus of it.

It's 150k. Consider it a showing of good faith and get this over with. The team is already getting him at a probable bargain for 3 years anyway, as is their rights, itcs 150k. A very very small amount of money in the NHL landscape.

Anderson and Korpisalo were the focus points. It's pretty clear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad