The Josh Anderson Thread

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I wouldn't say that Jarmo is trying to embarrass him, but definitely low ball him. After he got Wennberg signed at a steal, he's feeling too cocky.

It amazes me how posters project emotions into certain situations based upon recent events.

You could well be correct JK, but I just disagree. I'm not picking or spamming or whatever. There are flaws in my fandom to which I readily admit. I'm overly optimistic and too trusting and willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

The part that amazes me is how we, as posters, make a statement like the second sentence of the quote, and we state it as 100% fact, without a hint of possibility it could be anything else or latitude for some other prevailing issue.

I read the difference and I imagine Jarmo thinking "....wow, I could be in a spot in a couple years when I will need every $100,000 of cap space I can get my hands upon".

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
It amazes me how posters project emotions into certain situations based upon recent events.

You could well be correct JK, but I just disagree. I'm not picking or spamming or whatever. There are flaws in my fandom to which I readily admit. I'm overly optimistic and too trusting and willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

The part that amazes me is how we, as posters, make a statement like the second sentence of the quote, and we state it as 100% fact, without a hint of possibility it could be anything else or latitude for some other prevailing issue.

I read the difference and I imagine Jarmo thinking "....wow, I could be in a spot in a couple years when I will need every $100,000 of cap space I can get my hands upon".

My opinion isn't worth that much, so don't get too fired up over it. They're definitely not to be interpreted as fact by anyone other than myself. :laugh:

I like Jarmo, he and JD are reasons we finally have a relevant team to cheer for. I just get that vibe from Jarmo that he needs to keep his rep as a hard-ass.

You really do sound like an Old Guy. ;)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Lots of folks pointing the finger at Anderson. I feel like JK is busting balls for no reason aside from trying to maintain his reputation. A Tom Wilson contract is more than fair. Anderson is definitely worth at least $2.5m IMO. Not saying that is what he should get, but what I believe his skillset is worth that in my eyes at his current production levels and he is only getting better.

I wouldn't say that Jarmo is trying to embarass him, but definitely low ball him. After he got Wennberg signed at a steal, he's feeling too cocky. If this thing sours and Anderson leaves or gets traded, I will be very pissed off for letting a homegrown talent go over what ultimately amounted to a few hundred thousand dollars.

Let's just suppose that Anderson takes a step BACK this year. Is he still worth $2.5M? I would say probably not unless all we do is bet on potential. He's had one year of NHL hockey. He looks promising but we've seen that before as well. A few hundred thousand dollars is... a few hundred thousand dollars. You don't get it back and it sets the bar for the next contract. If we can't re-sign PAnarin because of a few hundred thousand dollars I would be pissed.

Leverage doesn't need to wielded like a hammer but it should not be ignored either. I don't think Jarmo is wielding a hammer. I think he's looking at comps and time in the NHL. I surmised a 2 year escalating deal earlier and someone pointed out that Jarmo is likely pushing for three years to avoid one year of arbitration rights. I hadn't considered that but that's part of the leverage and, to me, he should provide something more for the player. 3 years @ $6.2M with an escalation each year in the contract so his final year establishes his next contract floor (so to speak). The agent wasnt leverage sooner which would be two years or even one year.

Every hundred thousand counts. It's the way the league works. JArmo needs to use what he can now because he won't get it back later.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My opinion isn't worth that much, so don't get too fired up over it. They're definitely not to be interpreted as fact by anyone other than myself. :laugh:

I like Jarmo, he and JD are reasons we finally have a relevant team to cheer for. I just get that vibe from Jarmo that he needs to keep his rep as a hard-ass.

You really do sound like an Old Guy. ;)

Jarmo's probably close-ish to Old Guy's age. Meaning he's (Jarmo) beyond being concerned about some "rep as a hard-ass."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Let's just suppose that Anderson takes a step BACK this year. Is he still worth $2.5M? I would say probably not unless all we do is bet on potential.

If you're concerned about regression you would give the 2mx2 Anderson is asking for, not the 2mx3 Jarmo is offering. This is a hilarious debate.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Anderson ranked among forwards the following:

Tie 124th in goals with 17. He had no power play goals.

368th in Time on Ice at 12:03/game

Tie 62nd in shooting percentage at 14.3% (50 games min. played)

He's got some ammo on his side. While his shooting percentage could fall, his (reasonably) projected productivity with more ice time and some PP time should rise quite a bit over the next few years.

I think he'll ultimately cave, but I fully understand why he and his agent are pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
What Josh had better be weighing is the fact that although the Blue Jackets need him, he needs the ice time and chemistry to play at his peak. If he starts off slow and in Torts dog house this could be a lost season for him & then he is screwed. Call up Jarmo and ask him to split the difference & lets get on with it. Who cares who blinks first.. show good faith and get your ass on the ice.

Thanks for the info on bonus's not being a factor on this initial contract, I didn't know that.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
What Josh had better be weighing is the fact that although the Blue Jackets need him, he needs the ice time and chemistry to play at his peak. If he starts off slow and in Torts dog house this could be a lost season for him & then he is screwed. Call up Jarmo and ask him to split the difference & lets get on with it. Who cares who blinks first.. show good faith and get your ass on the ice.

First fire his "big time" agent, then call Jarmo.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
He better do the math on how many quality players we have in camp. This train is about to leave the station.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I don't think Josh is good enough to hold out successfully. We have a good amount of youngsters chomping at the bit to take his spot so he really doesn't have much leverage at all.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
If this goes on much longer, does FO change the offer to a two-way contract? Don't know how you reward a holdout with a guarranteed roster spot when there are other youngsters ready to go. And you may really need the flexibility.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Anderson ranked among forwards the following:

Tie 124th in goals with 17. He had no power play goals.

368th in Time on Ice at 12:03/game

Tie 62nd in shooting percentage at 14.3% (50 games min. played)

He's got some ammo on his side. While his shooting percentage could fall, his (reasonably) projected productivity with more ice time and some PP time should rise quite a bit over the next few years.

I think he'll ultimately cave, but I fully understand why he and his agent are pushing the envelope.

Who cares . He also has 1 season of good play. Yes he will cave or he will get traded . He should take his 1.8 mill for 2 seasons , earn a big next contract . If not , maybe u get traded to the avalanche , and good luck putting up those same numbers there

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If this goes on much longer, does FO change the offer to a two-way contract? Don't know how you reward a holdout with a guarranteed roster spot when there are other youngsters ready to go. And you may really need the flexibility.

Right, what if Motte is better than Josh Anderson? We have to prepare for such things and be ready to send Anderson down.

:sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Who cares . He also has 1 season of good play. Yes he will cave or he will get traded . He should take his 1.8 mill for 2 seasons , earn a big next contract . If not , maybe u get traded to the avalanche , and good luck putting up those same numbers there

Isn't that closer to what his camp is asking for?

Has Jarmo even offered a 2 year deal? I thought it was 3 years or a qualifying offer.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
What ???People are now beginning to figure out that what I posted a week ago about Anderson being gone is accurate? And, by the way, it is. Screw him. One decent year and he is going to try to rob the bank!!!!!! I really hope Jarmo ships him to the Av's ...... or sends him to Cleveland.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Last info we've heard was Jarmo offered 3 years x ~$1.9m AAV. Anderson's camp wants roughly the same AAV but for two years.

And people here keep saying Anderson is asking for too much money. "Trying to rob the bank". :laugh: Or that Jarmo is just being prudent in case Anderson's one year is a flash in the pan (in which case, why is Jarmo insisting on a longer term?) :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What ???People are now beginning to figure out that what I posted a week ago about Anderson being gone is accurate? And, by the way, it is. Screw him. One decent year and he is going to try to rob the bank!!!!!! I really hope Jarmo ships him to the Av's ...... or sends him to Cleveland.

You really take it real personally when a player and agent don't bow to the CBJ FO:laugh:

Jarmo's being a pin head if he won't agree to a 2 year deal for roughly $2 million per if that's all that Anderson wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad