Proposal: The Jets Should go after Karlsson HARD

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No way it works without Trouba and more going the other way.

As far as I'm concerned now until 35 may be Karlsson's prime. Not worried about him being over the hill at all. Injuries are more concerning but I'd bet on him bouncing back.

Probably not realistic he'd come here but neat to think about. He was a one man team in the playoffs just last year.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
That's looking behind. Anyone looking to acquire and pay Karlsson has to look ahead. Then the calculations are much less clear.

Not really, his team as a whole is much worse than last season, not to mention it wasn’t even good when he basically single handily pushed them to the Conference Finals. You add that to a team with as much talent as we have(like I said 3 Elite Wingers, 1 on the cusp thus far this season in Perrault and a rookie in Connor who will likely end up as an Elite Winger who is also on the cusp of it) and then Scheifele...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not really, his team as a whole is much worse than last season, not to mention it wasn’t even good when he basically single handily pushed them to the Conference Finals. You add that to a team with as much talent as we have(like I said 3 Elite Wingers, 1 on the cusp thus far this season in Perrault and a rookie in Connor who will likely end up as an Elite Winger who is also on the cusp of it) and then Scheifele...
Karlsson would be great now and in the near term, but won't play up to his next contract, I think. Also, there's a good chance he is now past his peak, though still very good.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Karlsson would be great now and in the near term, but won't play up to his next contract, I think. Also, there's a good chance he is now past his peak, though still very good.
He is far from past his peak. This season is just a bump on his road to the HHOF level of greatness.

Reactions: Flair Hay

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
RNH has been great this year, he's rediscovered the offensive instincts of his early years coupled with his usual 2-way play.

Yes but I’m simply saying Karlsson is worth more because he’s the best Defender and one of the best players on the planet while RNH is no where near that rank in his position...

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Yes but I’m simply saying Karlsson is worth more because he’s the best Defender and one of the best players on the planet while RNH is no where near that rank in his position...

Well obviously. RNH is a Top 30 center imo, that's all. I don't think the guy was implying we'd get them for the same price, the price for Karlsson would be ridicilous and like someone else said, the jets would need to revamp their defense heavily to fit him.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Well obviously. RNH is a Top 30 center imo, that's all. I don't think the guy was implying we'd get them for the same price, the price for Karlsson would be ridicilous and like someone else said, the jets would need to revamp their defense heavily to fit him.

Not really, Poolman is already playing minutes and we have Byfuglien and Myers as well so I don’t think moving Trouba(and some other pieces) would really hurt our Defence.

Morrissey Karlsson
Enstrom Byfuglien
Kulikov Poolman

But yes getting a bonafide Superstar would cost extremely but I think we our one of few teams that can afford it.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Not really, Poolman is already playing minutes and we have Byfuglien and Myers as well so I don’t think moving Trouba(and some other pieces) would really hurt our Defence.

Morrissey Karlsson
Enstrom Byfuglien
Kulikov Poolman

But yes getting a bonafide Superstar would cost extremely but I think we our one of few teams that can afford it.

But then you need to prepare to pay Karlsson the big bucks or get someone to fill the void of Trouba/Karlsson. Looking at Cap friendly, I'm pretty sure that would include at least letting Enström go when his contract runs out next year, which propably happens anyway and most likely cause problems when Myers, Laine, Wheeler need new contracts as well, unless if Wheeler is part of your trade plan. If you don't keep Karlsson when he goes UFA then you need to fill a void, can Buff do it when he's what, 35 years old? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Acquiring Karlsson would be a painful process from start to finish. Imagine what life would be like without Laine, for starters.

Reactions: Huffer

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
I wonder what Vancouver would want for Chris Tanev though. He might enjoy winning a cup with his baby brother.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I'd bet a lot of money that the Jets are one of his 10 NTC teams.

Why would you bet that? Due to the fact that we are showing signs of building a true contender? Or is it the same inferiority complex setting in?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wonder what Vancouver would want for Chris Tanev though. He might enjoy winning a cup with his baby brother.

A ton. They would have no interest in moving him.

Why would you bet that? Due to the fact that we are showing signs of building a true contender? Or is it the same inferiority complex setting in?

Its almost certain Wpg is on that list. No inferiority complex required.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I wouldn't go near EK with a 10-foot pole. He is just a slightly better version of Dustin Byfuglien, who will come with a higher cost (my formula for cost=AAV+ risk premium). His new contract would destroy the internal economy of the team and make it impossible to re-sign our other core players (Laine, Wheeler, Trouba, Morrissey) at a price that would keep the team intact.

Besides, having another EK on our team would almost kill me!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'd say it' because it' been widely reported that Winnipeg is on the most NTC and NMC of any team in the league. So making the assumption we'd be on Karalssons isn't that big of a stretch imo.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The jets current cap space is: $11,405,153

You get rid of Enstrom and Matthias that adds: $7,875,000
I still think Trouba is walking, so that's another: $2,812,000
Let Hutch go and that adds some more pennies.

That brings the Jets to about $20,000,000 in cap space and the cap is suppose to jump by about $4,000,000 next season.. so $24,000,000 and change available. Would that be enough room to sign Karlsson and still have enough to sign Laine, Conner, and Morrissey???

Not even saying the Jets should do it, just saying they probably could do it if they wanted.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The jets current cap space is: $11,405,153

You get rid of Enstrom and Matthias that adds: $7,875,000
I still think Trouba is walking, so that's another: $2,812,000
Let Hutch go and that adds some more pennies.

That brings the Jets to about $20,000,000 in cap space and the cap is suppose to jump by about $4,000,000 next season.. so $24,000,000 and change available. Would that be enough room to sign Karlsson and still have enough to sign Laine and Conner???

Not even saying the Jets should do it, just saying they probably could do it if they wanted.
Also have to sign Morrissey and Hellebuyck and Lowry and Armia.

Laine --- around $8-9M
Connor --- around $4-5M
Morrissey --- around $4-5M
Lowry --- around $3-4M
Hellebuyck --- around $3-4M

Nope, I don't think you could fit Karlsson's $11M under the cap.

Of course, the Jets might get Connor or Morrissey onto a bridge deal, but I still think the Jets won't be able to afford a huge contract for EK and still keep their young core together.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Due to the fact that Winnipeg is top 2 on no trade lists. Especially if he gave his list at training camp and not this week.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He is far from past his peak. This season is just a bump on his road to the HHOF level of greatness.
You think he'll reach the level of play he was at the last 4-5 years? That seems like a risky proposition. I think he could still have several very good seasons, but I would be really reluctant to pay him for how good he was over the past 5 seasons, instead of how good he'll be over the next 5.

Here's an analysis of performance by age for NHL forwards and defense (source: A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)). Karlsson might defy the overall pattern, but it would be a risky gamble, in my view.

overall-war-f_d.png

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
You think he'll reach the level of play he was at the last 4-5 years? That seems like a risky proposition. I think he could still have several very good seasons, but I would be really reluctant to pay him for how good he was over the past 5 seasons, instead of how good he'll be over the next 5.

Here's an analysis of performance by age for NHL forwards and defense (source: A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)). Karlsson might defy the overall pattern, but it would be a risky gamble, in my view.

IMO he was the best player in the play offs last season. Defying patterns is what he does. He is unique in the same way that Crosby or Ovechkin are. I stand by my educated opinion that this season so far is just a bump on the road to continued greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad