Proposal: The Jets Should go after Karlsson HARD

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
some of the experts on TSN were suggesting we need someone on D to push us over the top in the Central.

When Healthy Karlsson can more than fulfil that roll.

we have most of the pieces, and full cupboards. should we clean out some of our quality prospects to bring in a superstar?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Contract is going to be waaay too expensive if we want to keep the group together more than a season. I'd be interested if it was just as a rental.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not interested because we would have to give up far more than its worth to us to get him in the first place. We'd then have to give him 11 plus million to keep him (Not sure he'll be worth it the back half of his career). Coupled in his string of foot injuries and there are concerns on just how healthy he'll be moving forward.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sure, clean out the cupboard of prospects and upcoming RFA's. It will save a lot of money because it will be needed. If anyone thinks Karlsson is going to sign anywhere at a discount and/or low term they are dreaming. He's already (rather arrogantly) proclaimed he is worth more than basically anyone in the league. In fact he and Doughty can buy their own team if they like and play for them.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
He is a great player but we can't afford his greatness, we will have more than enough trouble keeping our own players that are on the roster atm and in future years.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
An awesome player (at times), but one whose price is going to be far too dear. Beyond all reasonable discussion methinks.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when he submits his no trade list.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Tbh I think this latest injury/ surgery has permanently affected his game. Let another team spend 50% of their cap on him. Could be bad long term

I agree. The procedure he had in his foot wasn't anything minor. He doesn't look to have the same mobility. Given he had a bunch of his bone removed is there any guarantee he can strengthen his foot near enough to generate the same power and edge work moving forward?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's a thought...

Trade for Karlsson "as a rental" for this season, and then trade him away in the off-season when he might command almost as much as he does now.

You'd have to gamble that his value would be maintained, or maybe even boosted by a strong season and playoff run, and that you could get almost as much in the summer in trade return.

This deal would almost certainly need to include Trouba in the package, all things considered.

I'm not saying I would do this, because I think there are a lot of risks and the Jets are going very well right now. But I think that this sort of concept is the only thing that makes sense for the Jets. I just don't see signing him long-term as feasible or necessarily desirable, considering what he'll command as a UFA.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's a thought...

Trade for Karlsson "as a rental" for this season, and then trade him away in the off-season when he might command almost as much as he does now.

You'd have to gamble that his value would be maintained, or maybe even boosted by a strong season and playoff run, and that you could get almost as much in the summer in trade return.

This deal would almost certainly need to include Trouba in the package, all things considered.

I'm not saying I would do this, because I think there are a lot of risks and the Jets are going very well right now. But I think that this sort of concept is the only thing that makes sense for the Jets. I just don't see signing him long-term as feasible or necessarily desirable, considering what he'll command as a UFA.

Given his NTC it might not be that simple to move him next summer. It's also hard for me to see his value go up significantly given i don't think he can top last seasons playoff run. This seems the type of play you make when your on player away from a cup team. I don't think we are at that point yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Given his NTC it might not be that simple to move him next summer. It's also hard for me to see his value go up significantly given i don't think he can top last seasons playoff run. This seems the type of play you make when your on player away from a cup team. I don't think we are at that point yet.
I tend to agree with you, though I think he can only submit a 10 team "no trade" list, so that's not excessively restrictive in terms of moving him.

Cantankerousoldguy

Nov 6, 2015
Winnipeg
some of the experts on TSN were suggesting we need someone on D to push us over the top in the Central.

When Healthy Karlsson can more than fulfil that roll.

we have most of the pieces, and full cupboards. should we clean out some of our quality prospects to bring in a superstar?

No

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I mean if.... IF Trouba has made it known that he still wants out we essential give up one year of control in a Trouba + for Karlsson swap and the + would have to recognize that he was going to walk UFA at the end of next season as we won't have the cap to sign him and we'll be in the playoffs so we won't be dealing him at the deadline either.

Trouba + Petan + Dano for Karlsson is about the most I would do.

I wouldn't trade our 2018 1st because it would be imperative that we drafted a RHD with top pair potential. (Jett Woo or someone like that hopefully to replace Buff at the end of his contract). It would also mean we'd likely be trying to extend Myers unless Poolman can show he can handle 2nd pairing duties.

We'd be left with the same forward group as we have now with Roslovic, Lemieux, Vasaline, Appleton, etc. still coming.

D would be:

Morrissey - Karlsson
Enstrom - Buff
Kulikov - Myers
Chiarot - Poolman

To me the year of control and the valuable, but unlikely to crack our lineup except as injury replacement forwards, make sense if it leads to 2 deep playoff runs.

If Trouba is open to staying I'd rather just keep him, but if we have to move him eventually I'd prefer to package him up for an upgrade.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
In terms of money, if Trouba's going back the other way in a trade, the Jets were probably looking at $6M for him long term. Myers is coming off the books after next year so there's another $5.5M. I think the Jets could easily pay Karlsson $10M AAV. Might prevent re-signing Wheeler though - and maybe necessitate moving Buff down the road.

Whether we'd have to give up too much or if Karlsson isn't going to return to form are debatable...but the dollars aren't the roadblock here.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->