Proposal: The Jets Should go after Karlsson HARD

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Hypothetically we could give up Trouba and Roslovic + smaller bits for him and still re sign him later if we can move Byfuglien for a cheaper top 4 option in the meantime.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There are two way it could happen. Provided we aren't on EK's no trade list.

First way is if Trouba isn't staying and likes Ottawa. 2nd is if we dump Buff with a big package of futures going with him. Either way it makes us an instant contender.

I'd much prefer to acquire him next year though when a negotiation is possible. That way a sign and trade deal is possible and you know you have him for the long haul. I think if Ottawa plans on moving him his value is actually much higher next year with a sign and trade than it is this year. If the cap goes up to the max I don't think we will have any issues signing him and the rest of our talent provided we move on from Buff and make EK the focal point of our defence.

Morrissey and Karlsson is a monstrous duo.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Dont see it as remotely possible. It would be a monstrous 3 team deal with Buff going somewhere and a better than Duchene trade bunch of players/picks/prospects going to Ottawa. And the Jets would still have to jettison D so as not to have the most expensive D core in history (so bye Myers and Enstrom). And the Jets would still need an upgrade at LHD.

Morrissey - Karlsson
Kulikov - Trouba
Chairot - Poolman

Is that (any) better than what the Jets can ice currently?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Given his NTC it might not be that simple to move him next summer. It's also hard for me to see his value go up significantly given i don't think he can top last seasons playoff run. This seems the type of play you make when your on player away from a cup team. I don't think we are at that point yet.

Once traded, the acquiring team is no longer obliged to honour that clause, so Whileee's point is valid.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is true only if the NTC hasn't already gone into effect. If it was in effect and waived for the sake of the trade, then it'll still be in effect after the trade.
It is only a modified 10 team no trade list to start with. I would guess with 1.5 seasons left to the mother load UFA deal Karlsson would mostly base his list on teams with a chance to seriously compete for the cup. Only these teams would be willing to pony up anyways so not much of a factor IMO.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There are two way it could happen. Provided we aren't on EK's no trade list.

First way is if Trouba isn't staying and likes Ottawa. 2nd is if we dump Buff with a big package of futures going with him. Either way it makes us an instant contender.

Doesn't matter if Trouba likes Ottawa or not for the purposes of a trade, and Ottawa (like most smaller market teams) are always taking that gamble on guys nearing free agency.

Trouba plus a pick is the most I'd want to give up given all the factors.. I also don't believe it's a terrible return for Ottawa as they are likely to get a bunch of spare parts if they go for quantity. They dumped a lot for Duchene though and they are probably trying to restock.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Besides injury concerns, we already have one of the better offensive defencemen in the league signed to a good contract. It's not really a team need. What we need more than anything right now is a 3rd line center to give Perreault and Armia a playmaker instead of boat anchor.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Karlsson has lost a major step through injuries and has admitted that he'll never reach the same skill and speed that he used to have.

Karlsson might never reach his Norris level from the past. It's a serious possiblity that needs to be considered before trading half your team for him...

Packofwolves

Nov 5, 2017
Karlsson has lost a major step through injuries and has admitted that he'll never reach the same skill and speed that he used to have.

Karlsson might never reach his Norris level from the past. It's a serious possiblity that needs to be considered before trading half your team for him...

Great post. Let Toronto trade for him.

Reactions: libertarian

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Nothing like throwing away all the value gained from Schiefele and Ehlers contracts. Jets don't need EK. He's fantastic when healthy, but not a piece that fits.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Doesn't matter if Trouba likes Ottawa or not for the purposes of a trade, and Ottawa (like most smaller market teams) are always taking that gamble on guys nearing free agency.

Trouba plus a pick is the most I'd want to give up given all the factors.. I also don't believe it's a terrible return for Ottawa as they are likely to get a bunch of spare parts if they go for quantity. They dumped a lot for Duchene though and they are probably trying to restock.

It matters in the sense that no team will acquire a player that won't sign there long term for a franchise Dman. The Sens will do their homework and if Trouba won't commit they simply won't make a deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Even at his current level of play he's still a top 30 dman league wide though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even at his current level of play he's still a top 30 dman league wide though.

Sure but I have no interest in paying him like the best player in the league for his 29 through 36 years if I'm getting a good number 1 with some injury concerns.

Reactions: Huffer

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sure but I have no interest in paying him like the best player in the league for his 29 through 36 years if I'm getting a good number 1 with some injury concerns.

I think we are really underselling him here. He might have some injury concerns. A big might. And even then we are still getting a top 10 1D with injury concerns which is better than any D we've ever had. Because most of our D come with the same label and aren't even close to the calibre of defencemen that an injured Karlsson is when healthy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we are really underselling him here. He might have some injury concerns. A big might. And even then we are still getting a top 10 1D with injury concerns which is better than any D we've ever had. Because most of our D come with the same label and aren't even close to the calibre of defencemen that an injured Karlsson is when healthy.

We likely aren't getting him for his prime years though but will end up paying him like we are. It just doesn't fit with our cap given all the young guys we need to pay imo. We aren't a Karlsson from winning this season and possibly next, after that his and Laine's contracts push us into Chicago cap mismanagement territory. If we go for a long run this season and look poised I'd be open to adding him next season as a rental but not interested in gutting the team for him at this point.

I'm also hesitant to have numerous 30 plus year old big money deals as we have seen time and time again teams get into trouble when those players decline and or fall off a cliff. We already have one in Buff, with Wheeler likely being two. Little and Perrault have reasonable rates but both will be over 30. That is about all that I'm comfortable with given the pile of youth we have in the system that is and will continue to get paid moving forward.

Reactions: Huffer

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Going to give thumbs down on this idea...

Karlsson's injury, salary and the potential Cap hell would shorten our window to win the Cup....and given how he has played lately, the immediate improvement is far from a sure thing....

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
They would likely want a package based around Laine and one of our dmen for him.

I doubt it, I think Laine is more valuable due to upside and age.

I would be fine with Trouba + Roslovic/Vesalainen + Byfuglien/Myers and bunch of 1sts though.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Perrault Hendricks Armia
Tanev Lowry Copp

Morrissey Karlsson
Enstrom Myers/Byfuglien
Kulikov Poolman

That’s the scariest lineup in the league as we have 3 Elite Wingers, one Elite 1C(Top 5 C in League) and a bunch of young up and coming pieces.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I doubt it, I think Laine is more valuable due to upside and age.

I would be fine with Trouba + Roslovic/Vesalainen + Byfuglien/Myers and bunch of 1sts though.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Perrault Hendricks Armia
Tanev Lowry Copp

Morrissey Karlsson
Enstrom Myers/Byfuglien
Kulikov Poolman

That’s the scariest lineup in the league as we have 3 Elite Wingers, one Elite 1C(Top 5 C in League) and a bunch of young up and coming pieces.
That's a lot would EK for more the team than RNH? Could we get RNH for less?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad