Speculation: The Jets need Mike Babcock

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
if Babcock gets to bring his own style and own assistants and completely revamp the structure then I’m all for it.

We all know chevy is going to bring someone in to implement the same vision and systems that have been here for 10 years so this thread isn’t going anywhere.

That would be Babcock.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets fans on here love to find a single scapegoat to blame it all on: Pavelec, Maurice, Wheeler, Scheifele.
That's not the same thing as an employer actively attempting to degrade employees to deflect blame from themselves. It's shameful.

Bladerunner62

Mar 16, 2022
well that's not exactly what happened, chevy was questioning if maurice was the right person for the job in the summer and ultimately gave him the benefit of the doubt with the defense he had had.. you can say he should have just fired him in the summer but saying maurice wanted to quit during the summer is wrong

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I’m a Sutter fan but let’s not forget this was a coach whose team once locked him out and barricaded him from getting into the dressing room.
Not necessarily an endorsement for Babs but many successful coaches have had less than great relationships with their players.

My hesitation with Babcock would be the same as a previous poster mentioned, his outsized ego would come along with him. It would be all about him and it would quite conceivably overshadow the team. Or, his lengthy absence from the league may have taught him some humility.

Reactions: surixon

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
wouldn't we also need to come to agreement with toronto on how much of the 5.875 million contract we take on?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m a Sutter fan but let’s not forget this was a coach whose team once locked him out and barricaded him from getting into the dressing room.
Not necessarily an endorsement for Babs but many successful coaches have had less than great relationships with their players.

My hesitation with Babcock would be the same as a previous poster mentioned, his outsized ego would come along with him. It would be all about him and it would quite conceivably overshadow the team. Or, his lengthy absence from the league may have taught him some humility.

I really don't care if the players like the coach but I don't want a coach that treats his players like shit either.

Anyhow I would like to find a real good communicator that can explain exactly what he wants the ayers to do on the ice.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Has anyone asked Babcock? Honestly, other than ego, why would he want to coach in the NHL?

He's getting paid by Toronto until the end of June 2023. And if the numbers are correct, he's getting paid more to not coach in the NHL than any current coach is getting paid to coach in the NHL.

Sweet deal if you can get it.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I'm liking the process so far. Let's get to the end see who is out there and hire the best available candidate. Thats my hope anyhow. A few guys will be canned yet.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Anyhow I would like to find a real good communicator that can explain exactly what he wants the ayers to do on the ice.
And then you have to actually convince them to do it - which is the hard part.:sarcasm:

I think you need a mix of smarts and the skill to influence - Bab's might have the smarts but I don't think he has the influence.

How do you get a bunch of millionaires to work hard within a game plan, most every night? Those guys are hard to find and they don't come cheap.

And I understand it's more complicated than what I am saying - but that's the high level IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And then you have to actually convince them to do it - which is the hard part.:sarcasm:

I think you need a mix of smarts and the skill to influence - Bab's might have the smarts but I don't think he has the influence.

How do you get a bunch of millionaires to work hard within a game plan, most every night? Those guys are hard to find and they don't come cheap.

And I understand it's more complicated than what I am saying - but that's the high level IMO.

Exactly, which is why I have been on NHL coaching staffs need to be completely remodled. You won't find a person capable of wearing all the hats of what is required.

This team needs someone the players respect enough to buy into the program that the coach is selling.

It's also why I take comparisons to the AHL team lightly. It's easier to get buy in from journeyman players fighting tooth and nail to make a living and hungry prospects doing whatever they can to get to the show.

Trying to motivate millionairs is completely different.

No idea who is actually out there that can turn this group around. I think the young guys would really respond well to Vincent as most everyone that went through the Moose raved about him as a coach. But would Mark and Blake be on board with an inexperienced guy?

I guess in some ways it comes down to which group you really want to form your needs around and if the rest don't get inline you move them out.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
No matter where Babcock ended up coaching if he was to join the NHL again, he would be the story. He would always draw more interest than the team. And I don't want a coach who thinks he's bigger than the team or the media thinks he's bigger than the team.

As for coaching, did Babcock ever get stuck with a truly bad team? Is he considered a good coach because he is a good coach or did he just luck out and end up coaching a real good Detroit team? And as far as coaching team Canada, my gold fish could have coached team Canada.

And if the rest of the NHL thought he was worthy of coaching again, he would be. Enough coaches have been fired since Babcock got fired that he would have been hired by someone. He hasn't because he's damaged goods.
Gold Fish for coach!!

Reactions: kanadalainen

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
take all of the bad traits of torterella and maurice... combine them into one and you have babcock.
jets should offer islanders a draft pick for trotz

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Should set up a poll on this thread.

Do you want Babcock as coach:

98% No
2% Yes

Lol

If a thread like this had been made about Darryl Sutter last year here it would have gotten a similar response but look at Sutter now. The reality is that these established coaches like Sutter/Boudreau/Babcock/Julien know what they are doing regardless of the fan dislike towards them. If we hire Babcock we are a much better team and people are wondering why they were so against the idea last year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If a thread like this had been made about Darryl Sutter last year here it would have gotten a similar response but look at Sutter now. The reality is that these established coaches like Sutter/Boudreau/Babcock/Julien know what they are doing regardless of the fan dislike towards them. If we hire Babcock we are a much better team and people are wondering why they were so against the idea last year.

The dislike of Babcock isn't the same as Sutter though. He might be a better option than Lowry, sure, but I think we can do a bit better

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lots of angst in Vcr about poor practice habits and not starting the game on time. No guarantees Boudreau will be coach next season.
Is there alot of angst with 22-11-6? And various key players improving their play/production :dunno:. He also did sign a two year deal.
take all of the bad traits of torterella and maurice... combine them into one and you have babcock.
jets should offer islanders a draft pick for trotz
I actually don't mind Torts most of the time. However with PLD here I doubt it happens. He's a hard ass and definitely has a shorter expiry date to most coaches however I think the lazy play, notably in the dzone from some key players, would not slide from Torts.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Is there alot of angst with 22-11-6? And various key players improving their play/production :dunno:. He also did sign a two year deal.

I actually don't mind Torts most of the time. However with PLD here I doubt it happens. He's a hard ass and definitely has a shorter expiry date to most coaches however I think the lazy play, notably in the dzone from some key players, would not slide from Torts.
Yep. The new GM specifically quoted poor practice habits and the team not starting on time (they have been shellacked a few times lately). And he didnt hire Boudreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad