Speculation: The Jets need Mike Babcock

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
It is becoming increasingly clear that Lowry is not the answer to our long term coaching position. Now, I don't agree with everything Babcock has done but it's about time this team gets a hardass like him to whip them back into being a decent team. The Jets need a proven NHL head coach, they can't afford to take chance on another unproven coach like Lowry. The Jets need a proven commodity, similar to what the Flames did with Sutter. I understand Babcock is a controversial figure but as far as I know his main crime is just being an as*hole, he doesn't have worse skeletons in his closet that we know of. I am sure Babcock has changed his ways and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a coach that pushes their buttons a bit.

He is coaching in Saskatoon right now so he won't have any issues coaching in Winnipeg, additionally his coaching career is in such a precarious situation that he will accept basically any NHL coaching job he can get, let alone with one with some talent like the Jets.
That would be insanity.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
yes, in hindsight lowry has done very bad... but were we suppose to know this before we named him interim head coach?

Yes, it was pretty well known. Lowry is from Maurice's coaching staff and it would be more of the same system with minimal changes. They looked a bit different for a bit but that was short lived and have stagnated mostly. Had to give the guy a chance though I suppose because Cheveldayoff didn't have a plethora of choices for a replacement lined up.

All of this is caused by the culture the organization created where they don't want to treat it as a business and want it treated more like a family.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It is becoming increasingly clear that Lowry is not the answer to our long term coaching position. Now, I don't agree with everything Babcock has done but it's about time this team gets a hardass like him to whip them back into being a decent team. The Jets need a proven NHL head coach, they can't afford to take chance on another unproven coach like Lowry. The Jets need a proven commodity, similar to what the Flames did with Sutter. I understand Babcock is a controversial figure but as far as I know his main crime is just being an as*hole, he doesn't have worse skeletons in his closet that we know of. I am sure Babcock has changed his ways and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a coach that pushes their buttons a bit.

He is coaching in Saskatoon right now so he won't have any issues coaching in Winnipeg, additionally his coaching career is in such a precarious situation that he will accept basically any NHL coaching job he can get, let alone with one with some talent like the Jets.
I'm 100% behind getting any coach that is likely to kick some ScheifMe butt. :thumbu:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I see lots of people saying "no" but not saying why. I wondering how many are influenced by the Toronto media running Babs into the ground like they do with everyone that leaves them.

Babcock will get this team playing the right way. You wanna see 55 playing D, have him play under Babcock and he'll have him playing the right way quick. Now is not the time to experiment gimme a Babcock, Boudreau, Sutter type who has a winning record.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yes, in hindsight lowry has done very bad... but were we suppose to know this before we named him interim head coach? cool, I'm very happy for vancouver fans! berube was in the same situation as lowry and was named interim head coach and they won a cup should I tell you to ask them how they like him? hiring the coach should be a summer decision if anything we learned lowry isn't the right person for the job
Well how do you judge a gm's moves without some sort of results? The results of Lowry is very bad as you say, in a season that was far from lost. Yup blues did well too props to their Gm on actually firing yeo promptly and appointing Berube and them winning a cup, and a top team in the west again. Chevy on the other hand might have went backwards.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Well how do you judge a gm's moves without some sort of results? The results of Lowry is very bad as you say, in a season that was far from lost. Yup blues did well too props to their Gm on actually firing yeo promptly and appointing Berube and them winning a cup, and a top team in the west again. Chevy on the other hand might have went backwards.
I think the consensus here is he gets 1 more coach and if it doesn't work you clean house. Idk what you were expecting.. rushing to hire a coach would have been the worst thing to do

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hell to the no.

bishop-bull-winkle-hell-naw.gif

4XQr.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK. But I'm asking what gives you confidence that he will? His dealing with coaches through his GMing of the Jets has been pretty underwhelming (how many years is it now ppl complain about systems, coaching, team defense etc)
Perhaps this is the style or composition of personnel that Chevy wants us playing :dunno:

Well let's be fair here. Was Maurice the wrong choice when we hired him? To me he did a lot to help move this franchise forward when he was brought in. He instilled better fitness requirements and brought our standards way up. He also advanced the team quite well until 2019. His systems were great 17-18 and played to the team's strengths.

The problem wasn't bringing in Maurice the issue was keeping him around a couple of years too long.

Noel is on ownership and Lowry has been a flop as an interim coach.

I guess I am cautiously optimistic that he will bring in the right coach for where this team is at now.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Rather not have the Jets be the guinea pig to test if Babcock has changed his ways.

Also Jets somewhat dodged a bullet with Chevy when it comes to being associated with "bad culture". They will not press their luck with the optics of this hiring.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well let's be fair here. Was Maurice the wrong choice when we hired him? To me he did a lot to help move this franchise forward when he was brought in. He instilled better fitness requirements and brought our standards way up. He also advanced the team quite well until 2019. His systems were great 17-18 and played to the team's strengths.

The problem wasn't bringing in Maurice the issue was keeping him around a couple of years too long.

Noel is on ownership and Lowry has been a flop as an interim coach.

I guess I am cautiously optimistic that he will bring in the right coach for where this team is at now.
I don't know if he was the wrong /right choice. I don't have the qualifications of the coaches to say who's truly good or bad. I'm just basing it off results + how long these coaches stayed hired. If they were to beleive to have been doing a bad job in Chevys eyes they would be fired. Yet we have Maurice for 7+ years and Huddy for eternity, and complaints about systems, team d constantly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know if he was the wrong /right choice. I don't have the qualifications of the coaches to say who's truly good or bad. I'm just basing it off results + how long these coaches stayed hired. If they were to beleive to have been doing a bad job in Chevys eyes they would be fired. Yet we have Maurice for 7+ years and Huddy for eternity, and complaints about systems, team d constantly.

I'm curious if Maurice kept Huddy around or if management insisted. He's the only assistant other then the goaltending coach still here.

He absolutely needs to go though.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Jets need Darryl Sutter.
Yes but too bad he's not available. Babcock is the next best thing.

Rather not have the Jets be the guinea pig to test if Babcock has changed his ways.

Also Jets somewhat dodged a bullet with Chevy when it comes to being associated with "bad culture". They will not press their luck with the optics of this hiring.

Are there any other skeletons in Babcock's closet other than being an asshole? If there was some really nasty stuff in his closet like racism/homophobia/condoning miscondunct it would surely have come out by now when all the NHL coaches including Babcock were being exposed. I don't think they have to worry about any other stuff coming out, he has been vetted by now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I see lots of people saying "no" but not saying why. I wondering how many are influenced by the Toronto media running Babs into the ground like they do with everyone that leaves them.

Babcock will get this team playing the right way. You wanna see 55 playing D, have him play under Babcock and he'll have him playing the right way quick. Now is not the time to experiment gimme a Babcock, Boudreau, Sutter type who has a winning record.

I'm not sure I'd classify him as a defensive coach. His defensive metrics in Toronto weren't very good. Infact Keith's metrics blow Babcocks out of the water. His team's in Toronto tended to outscore their deficiencies. If he were to come here I'd expect a similar system as what he ran with the Leafs and that was more offensive minded.

When he got to Detroit he had a bunch of elite two-way players already in house, I don't think he did anything to make his stars play defense. That was already ingrained in them prior to him getting there. So no I don't think he would make Scheifele play defense if his Toronto stint is any indication.

Why I don't see him here is not because of his coaching ability but due his style directly clashing with TNSE founding principles. It's hard to foster an organization culture based on loyalty and in a setting were employees and players are treated with respect when you bring in a coach who doesn't exhibit those traits. This is a coach that held Modano out of his 1000's game, held Spezza out after he invited all his family to a game in TO. He is a coach that manipulated one of his players Marner, a coach that allegedly verbally abused one of his players that caused a mental health meltdown in Franzen. As an organization that values their employees well being do you think this is the type of person you see TNSE hiring?

You can be a hard coach that demands accountability while not being a giant asshole. I don't want a coach that players have thought is a horrible person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad