Speculation: The Jets need Mike Babcock

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It is becoming increasingly clear that Lowry is not the answer to our long term coaching position. Now, I don't agree with everything Babcock has done but it's about time this team gets a hardass like him to whip them back into being a decent team. The Jets need a proven NHL head coach, they can't afford to take chance on another unproven coach like Lowry. The Jets need a proven commodity, similar to what the Flames did with Sutter. I understand Babcock is a controversial figure but as far as I know his main crime is just being an as*hole, he doesn't have worse skeletons in his closet that we know of. I am sure Babcock has changed his ways and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a coach that pushes their buttons a bit.

He is coaching in Saskatoon right now so he won't have any issues coaching in Winnipeg, additionally his coaching career is in such a precarious situation that he will accept basically any NHL coaching job he can get, let alone with one with some talent like the Jets.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
1647908370108.jpeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What gives anyone hope that Chevy will knock the next coaching hire(s) out the park?

With 53 games left he deemed Lowry as the best coach to turn our season around. Held on to Maurice for to long where Maurice had to eventually fire himself, and let's not forget Huddy's tenure.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
What gives anyone hope that Chevy will knock the next coaching hire(s) out the park?

With 53 games left he deemed Lowry as the best coach to turn our season around. Held on to Maurice for to long where Maurice had to eventually fire himself, and let's not forget Huddy's tenure.
who should he have hired at that point? I doubt many of the free agent coaches wanted to come here on an interim bases.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Well hiring Babcock would at least be the opposite of knocking it out of the park.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
who should he have hired at that point? I doubt many of the free agent coaches wanted to come here on an interim bases.
I don't know. I don't know which FA coaches are available. However what we do know is with 65% of the season left for a "win now" team, Lowry was appointed as the guy to lead the team. I don't think many on here would say he's done a good job. And that's on the GM.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well hiring Babcock would at least be the opposite of knocking it out of the park.
OK. But I'm asking what gives you confidence that he will? His dealing with coaches through his GMing of the Jets has been pretty underwhelming (how many years is it now ppl complain about systems, coaching, team defense etc)
Perhaps this is the style or composition of personnel that Chevy wants us playing :dunno:

Reactions: hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't know. I don't know which FA coaches are available. However what we do know is with 65% of the season left for a "win now" team, Lowry was appointed as the guy to lead the team. I don't think many on here would say he's done a good job. And that's on the GM.
yes, he was appointed head coach instead of hiring a full time coach, how many people would be happy here if we hired a full time coach and someone good that we wanted became available, waiting for the summer was the right choice no matter how poor lowry has done

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yes, he was appointed head coach instead of hiring a full time coach, how many people would be happy here if we hired a full time coach and someone good that we wanted became available, waiting for the summer was the right choice no matter how poor lowry has done
And I'm saying Lowry has been bad by many accounts, and with lots of season left there was still time to make a run, and perhaps a better coach we could've. That's a knock on Chevy. Vancouver seemed to have found a full time coach that has gone 22-11-6 a week earlier. Ask their fan base how happy they are with their new hire.

Reactions: JetsUK

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
And I'm saying Lowry has been bad by many accounts, and with lots of season left there was still time to make a run, and perhaps a better coach we could've. That's a knock on Chevy. Vancouver seemed to have found a full time coach that has gone 22-11-6 a week earlier. Ask their fan base how happy they are with their new hire.
yes, in hindsight lowry has done very bad... but were we suppose to know this before we named him interim head coach? cool, I'm very happy for vancouver fans! berube was in the same situation as lowry and was named interim head coach and they won a cup should I tell you to ask them how they like him? hiring the coach should be a summer decision if anything we learned lowry isn't the right person for the job

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
OK. But I'm asking what gives you confidence that he will? His dealing with coaches through his GMing of the Jets has been pretty underwhelming (how many years is it now ppl complain about systems, coaching, team defense etc)
Perhaps this is the style or composition of personnel that Chevy wants us playing :dunno:

I guess my honest thought would be that I'm not confident he'll get it right but I'm also not confident he'll get it wrong either. I think he was forced into naming Lowry because they were taken a bit by surprise by Maurice resigning, and this team should be in the playoffs based on the roster. I also would lean towards waiting until the summer to expand the candidate pool which further puts me toward the camp that he'll make a good choice.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I'm all in for any qualified coach who will break the 11th Commandment.

1-7. Surely you remember them.
8. Thou shall not steal.
9. Thou shall not bear false witness.
10. Thou shall not covet.
11. Thou shall not break up Scheifele and Wheeler.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad