Speculation: The Jets need Mike Babcock

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nope. Not right guy.

Need a new voice that is experienced and successful enough to not have his decisions questioned by players, but new school enough to bring innovation and new thinking to the team.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
if Babcock gets to bring his own style and own assistants and completely revamp the structure then I’m all for it.

We all know chevy is going to bring someone in to implement the same vision and systems that have been here for 10 years so this thread isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: rkp

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
who should he have hired at that point? I doubt many of the free agent coaches wanted to come here on an interim bases.
He should have hired BB when Maurice said he wanted to quit during the summer, like a normal GM would do..

Reactions: Mbraunm

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No matter where Babcock ended up coaching if he was to join the NHL again, he would be the story. He would always draw more interest than the team. And I don't want a coach who thinks he's bigger than the team or the media thinks he's bigger than the team.

As for coaching, did Babcock ever get stuck with a truly bad team? Is he considered a good coach because he is a good coach or did he just luck out and end up coaching a real good Detroit team? And as far as coaching team Canada, my gold fish could have coached team Canada.

And if the rest of the NHL thought he was worthy of coaching again, he would be. Enough coaches have been fired since Babcock got fired that he would have been hired by someone. He hasn't because he's damaged goods.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Good lord, if Chevy hired Babcock or Torts or Randy C, I literally might have to cheer for a different team. I couldn’t imagine worse coach choices then those three guys.

Three coaches that won the Stanley Cup. Huh.

Who are the top 3 available coaches on your wish list that we can realistically hire?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Three coaches that won the Stanley Cup. Huh.

Who are the top 3 available coaches on your wish list that we can realistically hire?

Won the cup how many years ago? Plus a good team wins the cup, not a good coach by himself. Are you saying you would endorse hiring Randy? Really?

Babcock? Torts?

Pass on all three, I literally would hire anyone other then those three guys. Zero respect for Torts or Babcock and Randy had the game pass him years ago.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Won the cup how many years ago? Plus a good team wins the cup, not a good coach by himself. Are you saying you would endorse hiring Randy? Really?

Babcock? Torts?

Pass on all three, I literally would hire anyone other then those three guys. Zero respect for Torts or Babcock and Randy had the game pass him years ago.

You would hire “anyone” over those three? Alright, let’s bring on Iron Mike!

BTW, seems like Darryl Sutter is doing quite well. Everyone seems to be afraid of older coaches with a history of success.

Still curious who your top 3 realistic choices are to understand your mindset of what is needed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What gives anyone hope that Chevy will knock the next coaching hire(s) out the park?

With 53 games left he deemed Lowry as the best coach to turn our season around. Held on to Maurice for to long where Maurice had to eventually fire himself, and let's not forget Huddy's tenure.
I'd agree with Huddy and Maurice to some extent but considering the situation I think Chevy made the right call with Lowry.

If Chevy doesn't clean house this offseason, he should be gone too, however.

I'd say no to Babcock. His style doesn't work today. I'd be looking off continent.

Reactions: kanadalainen

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I see lots of people saying "no" but not saying why. I wondering how many are influenced by the Toronto media running Babs into the ground like they do with everyone that leaves them.

Babcock will get this team playing the right way. You wanna see 55 playing D, have him play under Babcock and he'll have him playing the right way quick. Now is not the time to experiment gimme a Babcock, Boudreau, Sutter type who has a winning record.
I'll tell you why.

10 years in Detroit with one of the best teams in the league and only one Cup and getting out coached in the playoffs. By that I mean his ability to get up 3-1 in a series and the other coach makes an adjustment and Babcock chokes it away. Babcock does what Babcock does, there is no plan B.

The Leafs got their media to hype up Babcock over some Gold Medals you or I could have won as head coach. We aren't playing for stupid Gold Medals. What was worse was when the Leafs had their media shit all over this guy for things everyone knew about BEFORE he was a Leaf so they can blame all their problems on Babcock. That is what that trash organization does, they choke and find that single scapegoat to blame it all on; Babock, Anderssen, Kadri, Marner... its always ONE guy they sewer to blame all their problems on. Garbage people in a garbage organization.

Babcock is a rebuilding coach. He can make a bad team decent and a decent team good but he can't make a contending team a winner.

Reactions: Pongs21

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm not sure I'd classify him as a defensive coach. His defensive metrics in Toronto weren't very good. Infact Keith's metrics blow Babcocks out of the water. His team's in Toronto tended to outscore their deficiencies. If he were to come here I'd expect a similar system as what he ran with the Leafs and that was more offensive minded.

When he got to Detroit he had a bunch of elite two-way players already in house, I don't think he did anything to make his stars play defense. That was already ingrained in them prior to him getting there. So no I don't think he would make Scheifele play defense if his Toronto stint is any indication.

Why I don't see him here is not because of his coaching ability but due his style directly clashing with TNSE founding principles. It's hard to foster an organization culture based on loyalty and in a setting were employees and players are treated with respect when you bring in a coach who doesn't exhibit those traits. This is a coach that held Modano out of his 1000's game, held Spezza out after he invited all his family to a game in TO. He is a coach that manipulated one of his players Marner, a coach that allegedly verbally abused one of his players that caused a mental health meltdown in Franzen. As an organization that values their employees well being do you think this is the type of person you see TNSE hiring?

You can be a hard coach that demands accountability while not being a giant asshole. I don't want a coach that players have thought is a horrible person.
Fantastic post.

The Jets can't afford to have a coach that players hate, we have a tough enough time getting players to play here. Our big draw has always been how well the players are treated by the organization.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You would hire “anyone” over those three? Alright, let’s bring on Iron Mike!

BTW, seems like Darryl Sutter is doing quite well. Everyone seems to be afraid of older coaches with a history of success.

Still curious who your top 3 realistic choices are to understand your mindset of what is needed.

I have no issues with Sutter, you will never find a single post from me saying anything negative about Sutter. Don't assume what others think or say also applies to me. Not sure why you would assume I don't like Sutter.

You can't even pick a coaching list until the summer until you find out who gets fired/hired.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'll tell you why.

10 years in Detroit with one of the best teams in the league and only one Cup and getting out coached in the playoffs. By that I mean his ability to get up 3-1 in a series and the other coach makes an adjustment and Babcock chokes it away. Babcock does what Babcock does, there is no plan B.

The Leafs got their media to hype up Babcock over some Gold Medals you or I could have won as head coach. We aren't playing for stupid Gold Medals. What was worse was when the Leafs had their media shit all over this guy for things everyone knew about BEFORE he was a Leaf so they can blame all their problems on Babcock. That is what that trash organization does, they choke and find that single scapegoat to blame it all on; Babock, Anderssen, Kadri, Marner... its always ONE guy they sewer to blame all their problems on. Garbage people in a garbage organization.

Babcock is a rebuilding coach. He can make a bad team decent and a decent team good but he can't make a contending team a winner.

Jets fans on here love to find a single scapegoat to blame it all on: Pavelec, Maurice, Wheeler, Scheifele.

Reactions: Guffman

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd be ok with Babcock, but don't assume that because he is "in Saskatoon" that he wants to come to Winnipeg. He will work in the NHL again and it will be for the highest bidder.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Jets fans on here love to find a single scapegoat to blame it all on: Pavelec, Maurice, Wheeler, Scheifele.
I am surprised that Wade Flaherty isn’t being trotted out for execution due to Helly’s bad season.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
No thanks. Sure he was a good coach, but he was more successful in an era where things were much different than they are now. An era where typical behavior would now be completely unacceptable. The league and society have changed. Players coming into the league are more skilled, have more of a me first attitude and are more sensitive. They aren't waiting for all the vets the eat first before getting in line. Having a coach who leads with fear tactics just going to cut it, guarantee an uptick in trade requests. We need someone who has strong communication skills, who is genuine and empathic, but also will do what's best for the organization and the team, not just the leadership group.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
He should have hired BB when Maurice said he wanted to quit during the summer, like a normal GM would do..
well that's not exactly what happened, chevy was questioning if maurice was the right person for the job in the summer and ultimately gave him the benefit of the doubt with the defense he had had.. you can say he should have just fired him in the summer but saying maurice wanted to quit during the summer is wrong

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you like Paul Maurice if the answer is yes then you will love Babcock. Except his players will hate his guts at least with Maurice they kind of liked the guy

We may need a coach the players hate - but not just a Maurice who is hated instead of loved.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What gives anyone hope that Chevy will knock the next coaching hire(s) out the park?

With 53 games left he deemed Lowry as the best coach to turn our season around. Held on to Maurice for to long where Maurice had to eventually fire himself, and let's not forget Huddy's tenure.

So ....... he is due.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see lots of people saying "no" but not saying why. I wondering how many are influenced by the Toronto media running Babs into the ground like they do with everyone that leaves them.

Babcock will get this team playing the right way. You wanna see 55 playing D, have him play under Babcock and he'll have him playing the right way quick. Now is not the time to experiment gimme a Babcock, Boudreau, Sutter type who has a winning record.

The why is straightforward. A few have stated it. The rest apparently assume it doesn't need to be stated.
All of Maurice's flaws with none of his advantages. Just a mean spirited version of Maurice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad