THE HOME STRETCH: "DAT WILD CARD" - Our Last 15 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
95 points ought to do it. That's a 10- 5-0 record down the stretch. 10-5 is doable, but tough. Basically, we've got five more games to lose. If we lose even a couple early, this thing is going to get away from us really fast.

Currently Boston is on. 98 point pace

And Washington 97.5 pace
We need 1 point more than Boston they have more ROW
If we go 10-5 then Boston must go 7-8

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
95 points ought to do it. That's a 10- 5-0 record down the stretch. 10-5 is doable, but tough. Basically, we've got five more games to lose. If we lose even a couple early, this thing is going to get away from us really fast.

Seems like we'll need a bit more than that. As per sports club stats, a 10-5 record gives us about 45% chance to make it. We'd need 2 or 3 of those losses as OT/SO losses.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
My philosophy, which I almost certainly will not adhere to, is to not get too stressed about what the other teams are doing and whether our chance of making it is getting better or worse.

Instead, I'm going to just enjoy watching Sens games that mean something.

Proud to be a Sens fan right now.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

And Washington 97.5 pace

They play each other twice. Wash has a very tough schedule. Boston too - with 4 b2b's and 10 road games out of 15.

One of those two teams will average 1 point per game or less. If its Wash that still means 95 points - and we'll lose the tie breaker so we need 21 points.

10-4-1
9-3-3

Either of those or better gets us in. Either of those is doable.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
This was mentioned before in the PGT.. Who are we pulling for in those two head to head games between Boston and Washington?

It seems like Boston is picking up their form and Washington is on the ropes.

Exactly. Based on their track record I think we better cheer for Boston beating Washington tomorrow in regulation. Based on the team's track record I think Washington is more likely to falter.

Here's really hoping tomorrow's Washington/Boston game does not go to overtime.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The odds are still stacked against us but regardless,... I would rather beating on the door to the playoffs instead of sucking the hind teet of the tank squadron.

Exactly. The streak is way more interesting than finding out if we will have 10% chance of a first overall pick rather than a 5% chance.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
They play each other twice. Wash has a very tough schedule. Boston too - with 4 b2b's and 10 road games out of 15.

One of those two teams will average 1 point per game or less. If its Wash that still means 95 points - and we'll lose the tie breaker so we need 21 points.

10-4-1
9-3-3

Either of those or better gets us in. Either of those is doable.

So... just keep winning, check!

BigBush*

We play the Leafs 3 more times. Hopefully with their struggles this year they don't have our number still.

Doubtful. They are on a level so bad that it's rare to see in professional sports. They are very much committed to the tank. Those should be an easy 3 games for Ottawa

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If we bump out Washington we will meet PIT/NYR/NYI in the first round.
I would rather DET/MTL/TB
But yeah, either way is fine as long as there are no 3-point games.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

And Washington 97.5 pace

A 97 or 98 point cutoff seems too high based on recent history. Not impossible, but I doubt it. For now I'll stick to my 95 benchmark.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I agree with this.

I should point out though that more teams than usual are tanking because of the McDavid thing, which pushes up the points earned by teams actually looking to win.

The extra team in the Eastern Conference isn't helping either.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

It doesn't matter who you bump out. If we finish 8th we face the division winner with more points regardless of whether Boston or Washington finishes 7th

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who would have even thought we would be in this position. When Lehner went down, everyone here pretty much had us pegged to be a bottom 5 team.

In fact, i was nervous about what was going to happen during the west coast trip.

But look what happened. The hamburglar came in and stole the show.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yep, this run has salvaged an otherwise forgettable season. Win or lose, we got something to get excited about next season.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I feel like if we make the playoffs any matchup will be ok, and any of those teams will be scared ****less to meet us in the first round.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
It doesn't matter who you bump out. If we finish 8th we face the division winner with more points regardless of whether Boston or Washington finishes 7th

No they changed the rules after the 1st year of the new divisions so that if possible you always stay inside your division.

Ex: If WSH finished 7th and we finish 8th, but NYR finishes 1st in the east and 1st in the metro, MTL finishes 1st in ATL, 2nd in east then we would play MTL and WSH would play NYR.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I feel like if we make the playoffs any matchup will be ok, and any of those teams will be scared ****less to meet us in the first round.
Agreed.

Ending a season on a nice streak with the team in good health means we can carry that positive momentum into the playoffs.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
No they changed the rules after the 1st year of the new divisions so that if possible you always stay inside your division.

Ex: If WSH finished 7th and we finish 8th, but NYR finishes 1st in the east and 1st in the metro, MTL finishes 1st in ATL, 2nd in east then we would play MTL and WSH would play NYR.

Source?

I like the change if it is true. I just never saw anything saying it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad