The Hockey News (Old Issues)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've subscribed since 1995 and have every issue. When I let my subscription lapse for a few weeks in 1998, I still ordered those issues after the fact to maintain continuity. I'm proud to say I've read every word of every issue.... well, not all the ads too.

I have spent a year now amassing a ridiculous collection of hockey books. But my next big project is to get all the old THN issues. I've looked around ebay and it won't be cheap to get all those old issues. I'm likely to buy the 1947-1990 microfiche for about $1000 and then get the index books for about $500. A microfiche reader is less than $100 so for about $1600 I would have the ability to look up anything I want, assuming the index is really that comprehensive.

Based on this scan, I would say it's pretty comprehensive.

hockeynewsindexpage.jpg

As for 1990-1995... at that point I would likely go find them all on ebay just for continuity purposes.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I started subscribing around 1971 through to 1979 or so. Then also throughout the 90's.

I don't have any of those issues anymore.:cry:

Recently I've bought some random old issues on Ebay.

I would pay a good price for a DVD containing scans of old issues.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've been subscribing to "The Hockey News" since 1990 but have never kept the older issues, to bad as it always good to look back on those older issues.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
How many issues of "The Hockey News" did they produce for each volume.

I'm just trying to complete my collection from 88-94.

I'm excluding yearbooks.

Volume 42 (88-89) - 42 issues
Volume 43 (89-90) - 42 issues
Volume 44 (90-91) - 42 issues
Volume 45 (91-92) - 41 issues
Volume 46 (92-93) - 41 issues
Volume 47 (93-94) - 41 issues
Volume 48 (94-95) - 41 issues

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
My dad got me a subscription when i was kid, 88 or 89, i still have all issues to the present. I have about 6 or 7 covers auto'd and framed. Never put them up on the wall though for some reason.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Hockey News

How many issues of "The Hockey News" did they produce for each volume.

I'm just trying to complete my collection from 88-94.

Going back to 1959. Have read most of them. Never subscribed but they were always around - school library, around the association offices, work / business, etc. Early volumes were in the mid 30 issue range since the season was much shorter. In the seventies they started adding issues as the season lengthened and pre-season events became newsworthy.

Always enjoyed the junior and minor league segments plus the ads.

Also enjoyed the old Hockey Pictorial.Started reading them around 1960 - first one I read had a pond hockey cover.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I wish THN had the same system as the SI Vault. It's unbelievably cool to read entire Sports Illustrated issues from half a century ago, hell, it's the exact magazine, you can even see the original advertisements! Go check out the SI Vault if you have some free time, it literally gives you the ability to pick up a 50 year old issue as if it were brand new.

Edit: I'm looking through an issue right now. Completely original; basically the issue as it was on January 17, 1955, just in online form. There's an advertisement for a '55 Ford. Quite amazing, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Hockey News:

1951..1954..55,56, on up...With many gaps that i try fill when i can,,i.e. Availability,... Toronto Hall Of Fame visits,,,,,DVD conversion would be great...

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
1951..1954..55,56, on up...With many gaps that i try fill when i can,,i.e. availability,,DVD conversion would be great...
Boy, I would love too see some of those 50's ones you have. I have bought a few off Ebay myself, Had them all when I was a kid but Mom threw them out.

Awkward to scan them.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Hockey mags:

Yes, well prior to ebay, during the hockey card boom of the late 1980s, early 90s...I dealt with many good collectible dealers, mail order auctions, lists, early shows.. was able to replenish lost, damaged or complete issue collections i had in my childhood...Was not really a completist as a kid..The glossy colored cover monthly mags, Sports Revue, Hockey Pictorial, etc. were, are, easier to collect than a weekly journal...

Last edited:

member 83027

The Sporting News is available online. If you are a member of SABR you get free access to it.

It's fabulous. Wish THN was available the same way especially for folks like me down in the states and do not have access to the places where they are currently available.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Wow, those old ones must be really neat to look back on! Are they still in fairly good shape?
Yep. they are pretty neat. I just pulled out one dated Jan 12, 1957. On the front page is a picture of Ed Litzenberger scoring on gump worsely. Also an aricle on how hockey may undergo a boom because of USA Tv telecasts. Inside: a nice article on Pierre Pilote titled Bantam bouncer, Good little man in a big league. Another article "If gordie Howe's over the hill he hasn't been told yet" Beliveau was 8 points ahead in scoring race but was injured. Howe was the eventual winner. Glen hall was player of the week. on the AHL page, there was the comment that Bower was the best anywhere. As usual, Guyle fielder was leading the western League. Back page featured Ed Chadwick of the Leafs,.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
I wish THN had the same system as the SI Vault. It's unbelievably cool to read entire Sports Illustrated issues from half a century ago, hell, it's the exact magazine, you can even see the original advertisements! Go check out the SI Vault if you have some free time, it literally gives you the ability to pick up a 50 year old issue as if it were brand new.

Edit: I'm looking through an issue right now. Completely original; basically the issue as it was on January 17, 1955, just in online form. There's an advertisement for a '55 Ford. Quite amazing, honestly.

I'm right with you on that one. I love reading those old SI articles. Dad used to collect them back in the 60s and used to tell me about specific ones he liked. And now, I print them out and bring 'em over and we have a great father/son moments!

member 83027

I'm likely to buy the 1947-1990 microfiche for about $1000 and then get the index books for about $500. A microfiche reader is less than $100 so for about $1600 I would have the ability to look up anything I want, assuming the index is really that comprehensive.

Just curious.

Where can you but the microfiche coipys and the index from?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just curious.

Where can you but the microfiche coipys and the index from?

I actually had a place where I could get both but they were unable to procure it for me... I have long given up on getting microfiche; I will just buy the whole run somewhere when I get the money and it turns up.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is there any public library around Mississauga which has old verions of the hockey news or hockey pictorial in microfiche?

I know the Hall of Fame resource centre library in Etobicoke has them but that place isn't really public, you even have to make appointments to go see it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bump, Zinio has a $5 free gift offer for anyone who has an account. You can purchase two old issues of THN going back to 2006 for $1.99 each including the draft preview/future watch issue.

You should be able to find any THN magazine from 2009 or later online for download but anyone who wanted one from 06-09, there you go. Unfortunately zinio sucks, you can't save it as a PDF but they do have an app now.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I have every issue from 1978 to 1990 (I went to university and my parents wouldn't pay for it after that).

I don't throw anything away. I still have a pristine copy of "Hockey Today" (I think it was a freebie given to kids in minor hockey across Canada) that has the heading "Gretzky: Can the Kid Excel in the NHL?"

Yep. I think so. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad