The Hockey News (Old Issues)

member 83027

Does anyone have any updates on the availability of the digitized editions of the Hockey News?

Unfortunately there is no update to provide.

SIHR has/had been working with THN to make them available online for their membership. At the general meeting for SIHR last weekend there was no progress to update.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
1960,s and upwards..lots with orr in his early days...probable own at least 500 issues or so

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

decma

Feb 6, 2013
It's in the works but no set timeline yet.

Are you serious?

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought the editorial announcing the archive availability made it seem like it would be imminent. My kids upgraded their subscription to gold to get access, and we were looking forward to having access.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Are you serious?

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought the editorial announcing the archive availability made it seem like it would be imminent. My kids upgraded their subscription to gold to get access, and we were looking forward to having access.
Yes, serious. Two months ago I was told, "I'm hoping it will get done in the coming months."

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Yes, serious. Two months ago I was told, "I'm hoping it will get done in the coming months."

Thanks. Please keep up updated if you hear any news re their progress.

FWIW, I found the archive announcement that I noted above. It was in the Publisher's Note (page 7) in the Yearbook issue. Roustan wrote that the archive "is being digitized and will become available later this season."

Reactions: Bhrangerfan0809

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks. Please keep up updated if you hear any news re their progress.

FWIW, I found the archive announcement that I noted above. It was in the Publisher's Note (page 7) in the Yearbook issue. Roustan wrote that the archive "is being digitized and will become available later this season."

OK, so that's good. They are still technically on that schedule and haven't broken that promise yet!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Man, as a collector I really have mixed feelings about the digital archives being made available. I’m obviously happy for everyone who will now have access to this wonderful resource, especially researchers and those who truly appreciate the history of hockey. On the other hand, I worked my ass off for years accumulating my large collection by locating and purchasing big lots, single issues, volumes etc..and now I wonder if it was worth it at all considering I could have spent zero dollars on collecting during those years and just waited for these digital archives. I’ll always choose physical over digital, but it’s still the fact that everyone else will now have access to that same exact material that I worked my ass off collecting. So yeah, it’s a bit bitter sweet for me. I’m sure @seventieslord gets where I’m coming from.

I’ll enjoy having access to the digital issues as well though considering it will be so much easier to research or to locate a specific issue or article rather than having to dig through hundreds of issues in bins and tubs like I have to do now.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Man, as a collector I really have mixed feelings about the digital archives being made available. I’m obviously happy for everyone who will now have access to this wonderful resource, especially researchers and those who truly appreciate the history of hockey. On the other hand, I worked my ass off for years accumulating my large collection by locating and purchasing big lots, single issues, volumes etc..and now I wonder if it was worth it at all considering I could have spent zero dollars on collecting during those years and just waited for these digital archives. I’ll always choose physical over digital, but it’s still the fact that everyone else will now have access to that same exact material that I worked my ass off collecting. So yeah, it’s a bit bitter sweet for me. I’m sure @seventieslord gets where I’m coming from.

I’ll enjoy having access to the digital issues as well though considering it will be so much easier to research or to locate a specific issue or article rather than having to dig through hundreds of issues in bins and tubs like I have to do now.

I know what you mean, and I feel the same way, but ultimately, the fact that everyone now has the ability to create awesome player bios takes a huge burden off of me.

Gambitman

Jan 30, 2019
Speaking of cartoons does anyone remember a cartoon of Gretzky and Mcnall together with Gretzky playing the accordion. I don’t know why but my mother of all people laughed and laughed at this. I would love to get her a copy as a gag gift, but haven’t been able to find anywhere.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Speaking of cartoons does anyone remember a cartoon of Gretzky and Mcnall together with Gretzky playing the accordion. I don’t know why but my mother of all people laughed and laughed at this. I would love to get her a copy as a gag gift, but haven’t been able to find anywhere.

Have you checked in the Elston books? This sounds like it was almost certainly in the Elston era. I don't know if those books represent a full compilation of his THN-published cartoons, or only a best-of, but there are a couple hundred in there.

member 83027

This is the reason I went digital. Now all I have to do is plug in my portable drive and do a search. Prior to digitizing I would go look for something & have to dig it out. In doing so I would usually come across something else and end up down another worm hole and never get to what I was actually looking for. Also consider the space the publications take up (wife is much happier & I can have more), the brittleness of some and that damn musty smell that can never be removed once it is there.

That being said I will say there is nothing that can replace the feel I had as a kid when browsing through a paper publication. I just had to pick one of the two. For my purpose it was digital.

The THN archives will come. Trust me when I say if they would have made them available already you would be disappointed with the quality of some. I think the extra time waiting will be made in the upgrade of the quality. I am sure it's frustrating to some but waiting a little longer shouldn't kill anyone. Members of SIHR have thought this was coming 5+ years ago.

Reactions: Habsfan18

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Sadly, I don't have anything left from my subscriptions in the 70's and 90's. I did buy a few back issues on Ebay a few years back just to relive the experience, even have a 50's issue in which I reviewed it here in a thread I'd have to go searching to find. I would pay for access to digital archives in a heartbeat...

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York

As a fellow collector of rare videotapes, magazines, etc., I completely relate to this. It's good that archival collections are digitized and preserved for posterity, but, if access to them is too easy and costless, then folks will take them for granted and not fully appreciate how much work went into the process.

conor94

Dec 23, 2019
Mass
I had a bunch of issues and held on to them for a long time, but they must not have survived he post-college move. The digital archive would be great. I was just talking about something the other week and I remember an old article or photo of Paul Mara (don’t ask) from the 97 draft issue with Thornton and Samsonov cheezing on the front. I think it was back cover inside. If anyone is willing/easily able to access it, I would be grateful.

Last edited:

member 83027

I had a bunch of issues and held on to them for a long time, but they must not have survived he post-college move. The digital archive would be great. I was just talking about something the other week and I remember an old article or photo of Paul Mara (don’t ask) from the 97 draft issue with Thornton and Samsonov cheezing on the front. I think it was back cover inside. If anyone is willing/easily able to access it, I would be grateful.

Pic 1: The draft preview just had his draft profile.
Pic 2: Cover of season in review issue with Thornton & Samsanov
Pic 3: From that issue

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

conor94

Dec 23, 2019
Mass

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site

I would have to say that it was well worth your time and effort. The digital copies are great as a searchable reference and for preservation. There is tons of amazing content in these, but having the original physical copy has value. Incredibly they are not too expensive, I have around 1200 issues from 1957 forward and I still buy them in groups or off Etsy once in a while.

I pick out my favorites and put them in frames on the walls of my sports room. I currently have up the issues from when Hull broke the single season goal record, Bill Masterson passing away, Terry Sawchuk taking over the all-time shutout record, and the issue from when Gordie Howe took over the all time scoring lead. Once in a while I switch out to have new content. The guys love reading them and they look great. It isn't the same hanging a digital copy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->