The Hockey News (Old Issues)

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Does anyone else save there hockey news?
what is the oldest issue you have

I had saved all the magazine from 87 till current but in 96 my dad threw then out on me

so now i only have from 96 on.

I Think it would be great if the hockey news had all there issues on a dvd
If anyone at the hockey news wants to repay me for the great idea
send me a free disc
my email is [email protected] :D

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I have every Hockey News since 1963 and issues as far back as 1948. All editions of the Hockey News are available on microfiche at the Central Library in Toronto. The Hockey Hall of Fame's Resource Centre has every edition on microfiche for easy viewing.

We spoke to the people at the Hockey News a few years ago about putting their entire run on DVDs but they didn't feel that it was economically viable. Their own writers thought it was a great idea though. We'll try again to convince them.

Leaf Lander said:
Does anyone else save there hockey news?
what is the oldest issue you have

I had saved all the magazine from 87 till current but in 96 my dad threw then out on me

so now i only have from 96 on.

I Think it would be great if the hockey news had all there issues on a dvd
If anyone at the hockey news wants to repay me for the great idea
send me a free disc
my email is [email protected] :D

Reactions: johan f

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
That would be a great idea if they did that, or even if they put scans of the pages on a site like the Toronto Star does with Pages Of The Past. I would gladly subscribe to something like that. It would make researching things like our thread about past award voting a lot easier, or even just reading old columns from when we were all kids.

I stopped subscribing around the time they stopped printing game summaries, as the writing had gone downhill in recent years and with no summaries there seemed no reason to buy. I imagine it`s tough for them with the internet competing with them, but some of their ideas seem a little dull. Ranking the top 100 people of influence might be good as a one-time issue, but doing it every year when the list is usually the same is a little redundant.

I used to save every newspaper and magazine I regularly bought until my closet resembled a fire hazard, so I got rid of all but the noteworthy issues. I do still have every Stanley Cup issue from `81- `04.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
There are other copies of Microfiche in libraries across Canada.

To put the entire run on DVD would take time and be very costly. I think that instead of scanning the actual paper, the microfiche would somehow be transferred into the proper format for DVD.

It can probably be done by anyone with the technical ability but the Hockey News owns copyright.

Leaf Lander said:
interesting since I live in cape breton going to toronto isnt easy:)

so how would you go about putting them on dvd?

would it be costly or just time consuming

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
You are so right. Hockey research made a huge breakthrough when we were able to search out any game story on various newspapers right from our computers.

We are now instantly able to check on events and find out how they really happened.

reckoning said:
That would be a great idea if they did that, or even if they put scans of the pages on a site like the Toronto Star does with Pages Of The Past. I would gladly subscribe to something like that. It would make researching things like our thread about past award voting a lot easier, or even just reading old columns from when we were all kids.

I stopped subscribing around the time they stopped printing game summaries, as the writing had gone downhill in recent years and with no summaries there seemed no reason to buy. I imagine it`s tough for them with the internet competing with them, but some of their ideas seem a little dull. Ranking the top 100 people of influence might be good as a one-time issue, but doing it every year when the list is usually the same is a little redundant.

I used to save every newspaper and magazine I regularly bought until my closet resembled a fire hazard, so I got rid of all but the noteworthy issues. I do still have every Stanley Cup issue from `81- `04.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
We spoke to the people at the Hockey News a few years ago about putting their entire run on DVDs but they didn't feel that it was economically viable. Their own writers thought it was a great idea though. We'll try again to convince them.

I remember that - we were talking about it on the Hockey History mailing list, yes?

It's a shame it didn't happen, but I'm still hoping.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Yes, it was discussed on that list. One of the researches in our SIHR group was leading the charge.

And, yes, the technology is available to do it.

Doctor No said:
I remember that - we were talking about it on the Hockey History mailing list, yes?

It's a shame it didn't happen, but I'm still hoping.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Yes, that's how it might work. We can get the microfilm but the cost and the 'rights' are stopping us.

Leaf Lander said:
so irs a matter of taking the micro film and getting that on dvd?
is that possible

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Steven Harper is a member of our research organization SIHR. And he has interacted with some of our members. I met him at the HHOF when he was researching old hockey.

For those in the states that don't know, Steven Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada.

Leaf Lander said:
I would approach big hockey fans

steven harper mike myers etc

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
ClassicHockey said:
I have every Hockey News since 1963 and issues as far back as 1948.
WOW! Someone worse them me. I have selected issues from 1972 to the present. Draft issues, season previews, and end of the year reviews. I also have baseball annuals since 1966, and hockey annuals since 1973.

My mother threw away my comic book collection while I was in college. It would have been worth a small fortune today.

Reactions: johan f

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I have every THN Yearbook since 1988. (Although the ones from 1988 to 1995 are at my parent's place in B.C.) I also have kept noteworthy issues since 1995: Draft Preview, Future Watch, Stanley Cup issues, tribute issues, etc.

As usual, ClassicHockey has a great idea. I'd love the DVD with THN back issues. 60 years of hockey history.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
September 1967. It was my Dad's. I wish I had April-Oct '67 as the 1967 expansion draft is an area of interest for me.

SIHR is a tremendous source of info, I've only been a member for a few months but find it to be exceptional.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
ClassicHockey said:
Steven Harper is a member of our research organization SIHR. And he has interacted with some of our members. I met him at the HHOF when he was researching old hockey.

For those in the states that don't know, Steven Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada.

there is alot of writers in this group.

Love the books. British hockey history interests me as my grand uncle was named the best hockey player in britain from 1900 to 1950.

I'll probably join your group once I go back to work.

Thn on CD or dvd would be awsome and if any members who live in cities where there were in leagues ( nhl nha pcha ) or stanley cup champs or finalist . Well these members could go to there local libaries or local newspapers to go through the old issues. Wham we could have another 55 yrs of hockey history, The project imo could be complet in 2 to 5 yrs at the mosty depending on how many voulnteers.

http://www.sihrhockey.org/public_books_new.cfm

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Got an expert opinion:

LeeIs writes:

I read through that thread, and they're about right. It will be costly because the microfiche will have to be scanned in and converted to (probably) PDF format or any kind of "image only" format for viewing on the computer. This step alone will need some suffisticated tech to achieve this because every microfiche has many pages, it's different than a slide where one can just scan through their desk top scanner in that sense.

Now if one wants to make the "image" into text, then that will take another step of some kind of recognition program that recognizes text and converts it to actual type.

on top of all that you got the copyright, so The Hockey News will have to give you permission to take those microfiche to a place where this can be done. And since this is their only archive (I presume) you'll have to be a million more times cautious because if you (misplace/lose/burn/etc), those then you would have single handedly destroyed the Hockey News archives

Not something you wanna do when you're trying to share the archives, and I doubt they'll let anyone handle them, unless given an offer they can't refuse!

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Well, the oldest one I could dig out of the attic that still had a cover that was not mangled beyond recognition was this one.

I have a bunch that are older, but they are so worn and torn.....

Reading how many older copies everyone else has makes me wish I used to take better care of my belongings. But I am the sort who dog ears to save pages, eats while reading and drops food into what I am reading, and reads on the toilet and generally throws them in the coffee table until they pile up and she gets mad and shoves them somewhere, so anything short of hardcover books usually look bad after a year if I read them often enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->