The Hockey News (Old Issues)

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
i'm looking for an article that Terry O'reilly wrote in the Hockey news around the year 2000/2001, and defenitely no later than 2002. It was about "what it took to be successful in the playoffs".

if anyone here has the issues in and around those years, it would be awesome if someone could get in touch with me.

tks!

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Saved some pages of issues with the minor league logo rankings.
Recently started scanning some of these pages.

1st annual
hockeynews_1stannual_Panorama_zps8lubf0tl.jpg

I'll have to see if I have the 2nd annual somewhere.

3rd annual
hockeynews_3rdannual_Panorama_zpsvf98pbj7.jpg

4th annual
hockeynews_4thannual_Panorama_zpsmgplwknx.jpg

5th annual
hockeynews_5thannual_Panorama_zpshihjaj4e.jpg

6th annual
hockeynews_6thannual_Panorama_zpsbizpt226.jpg

7th annual
hockeynews_7thannual_Panorama_zpsmwnab0vs.jpg

8th annual
hockeynews_8thannual_Panorama_zpsrkc3yyqr.jpg

9th annual
hockeynews_9thannual_Panorama_zpszwfubynb.jpg

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Without digging them out and examining them, I think they had different people judging each year. They also instating a rule about how many positions a logo from a previous year could move up or down.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'm putting this here because the issue I want to keep forever just came in, and I was overjoyed. I'm a Sabres fan and this one has Eichel and McDavid in their respective jerseys for the first time on the cover. My excitement quickly dissipated when I got the mail inside and realized that this was what I got:

11824101_538703156279577_1782549234_n.jpg

...bleh. Great.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I checked with The hockey News and they have digitalized all their old issues but they are only using it internally at present. They say they do plan on making them available to the public sometime in the future.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's great, but it's even more important that they make the archives searchable. The index books done by Dan diamond of the HHOF only go until 1987 and, well, it's been almost 30 years since then. Over half of what the magazine has printed in its lifetime is buried in those post-87 issues, nearly impossible to find. I have found it practically impossible to use those years for research purposes.

Regardless of what shape it takes, this will probably be a subscription based service whose cost is so prohibitive that only people who need it for work or for whom it is a legitimate job aid (hockey media personnel) will use it. I'm not optimistic. But then, I should count my lucky stars because I need this less than anyone else (save for habsfan18).

member 83027

I checked with The hockey News and they have digitalized all their old issues but they are only using it internally at present. They say they do plan on making them available to the public sometime in the future.

Well; since they let the cat out of the bag.....

That's great, but it's even more important that they make the archives searchable. The index books done by Dan diamond of the HHOF only go until 1987 and, well, it's been almost 30 years since then. Over half of what the magazine has printed in its lifetime is buried in those post-87 issues, nearly impossible to find. I have found it practically impossible to use those years for research purposes.

They will be searchable when they are made available. Once they are in digital format it's fairly easy to do.

Regardless of what shape it takes, this will probably be a subscription based service whose cost is so prohibitive that only people who need it for work or for whom it is a legitimate job aid (hockey media personnel) will use it. I'm not optimistic. But then, I should count my lucky stars because I need this less than anyone else (save for habsfan18).

You will be pleasantly surprised when they are made available. I am not going to speak as to what the plan is but it will not be prohibitive as you think.

Are you familiar with how The Sporting News archives are available? If so; think about THN being done in a very similar way.

Hockey World, Hockey Pictorial & Inside Hockey (minus 1 issues) have also been digitized and provided to THN. I know the guy who did them pretty well ;) Not sure if the plan is to make them available as well. I think some discussion would need to be had in regards to those. The THN yearbooks have also been digitized as well.

This same person who digitized Pictorial & World has also done Hockey Illustrated, Hockey Digest, Action Sports Hockey, Blueline and many other magazines. The goal is to make them available but without the help of someone and the concern of copyright issues not sure if it will happen or not. I just know this person I speak of ;) has put a lot of time & effort in digitizing over 2,000 magazines. They have now moved on to Hockey Guides and are currently working on them.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well; since they let the cat out of the bag.....

They will be searchable when they are made available. Once they are in digital format it's fairly easy to do.

You will be pleasantly surprised when they are made available. I am not going to speak as to what the plan is but it will not be prohibitive as you think.

Are you familiar with how The Sporting News archives are available? If so; think about THN being done in a very similar way.

Hockey World, Hockey Pictorial & Inside Hockey (minus 1 issues) have also been digitized and provided to THN. I know the guy who did them pretty well ;) Not sure if the plan is to make them available as well. I think some discussion would need to be had in regards to those. The THN yearbooks have also been digitized as well.

This same person who digitized Pictorial & World has also done Hockey Illustrated, Hockey Digest, Action Sports Hockey, Blueline and many other magazines. The goal is to make them available but without the help of someone and the concern of copyright issues not sure if it will happen or not. I just know this person I speak of ;) has put a lot of time & effort in digitizing over 2,000 magazines. They have now moved on to Hockey Guides and are currently working on them.

That is encouraging news. Any idea about an approximate timeline for the THN digitizing being open to end users?

Copmuter*

Does anyone remember/have the comic of Grant Fuhr using his stick to divide the snow in his crease into equal lines?

It was a poke at his cocaine use...

I think it was in the Hockey News around the same time that Ricci and Lindros were stars in the minors

Last edited by a moderator:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Does anyone remember/have the comic of Grant Fuhr using his stick to divide up the snow in his crease into equal lines?

It was a poke at his cocaine use...

I think it was in the Hockey News around the same time that Ricci and Lindros were stars in the minors

LOL, I really doubt that would have been in THN, though I'm not doubting you saw it somewhere.

can someone tell me exactly when the coke use became public knowledge? I will check all the Elston cartoons immediately following that date.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
i'm looking for an article that Terry O'reilly wrote in the Hockey news around the year 2000/2001, and defenitely no later than 2002. It was about "what it took to be successful in the playoffs".

if anyone here has the issues in and around those years, it would be awesome if someone could get in touch with me.

tks!

I'll check.

adam777

Dec 18, 2011
I was wondering if anyone with some back issues from 1990 can do a quick check on a story for me? On March 24th 1990 The North Stars beat the Bruins 7-6 and the Broten brothers scored 5/7 North Star goals. A story about that game may have shown up in the March 30th 1990 edition, But most likely would have been in either the April 6th or April 13th editions.
I'm wanting to buy a copy if there is a story featured and all of those editions are on Ebay, But I can't justify the purchase of 4-5 editions at $15.00 a piece just to see if there is a story, so if anyone can have a look for me I'd greatly appreciate it! thanks

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was wondering if anyone with some back issues from 1990 can do a quick check on a story for me? On March 24th 1990 The North Stars beat the Bruins 7-6 and the Broten brothers scored 5/7 North Star goals. A story about that game may have shown up in the March 30th 1990 edition, But most likely would have been in either the April 6th or April 13th editions.
I'm wanting to buy a copy if there is a story featured and all of those editions are on Ebay, But I can't justify the purchase of 4-5 editions at $15.00 a piece just to see if there is a story, so if anyone can have a look for me I'd greatly appreciate it! thanks

I've checked the first three issues of April 1990. Nothing found.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'm salivating at the thought of having digital access to old Hockey News issues. And the magazines, too!! Probably find some of my old Letters to the Editor I wrote as a lad.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
A few years ago, I went to a big sports memorabilia show at the Civic Centre here in my locale in Ottawa. One fellow had on display at his stall a complete Wayne Gretzky on the THN cover collection from about 1978 through to about 2000. Very impressive and he told me that someone had just dropped a nice chunk of money for that collection. I too liked Hockey Digest as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->