Player Discussion The Henrik & Daniel Sedin Discussion - Part IV | Encore for 2019?

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
The people thinking the Sedins will sign for $2-3.5M are in for a surprise when the Sedins re-sign for $5M+

If we dont sign the Sedins, dont you think our idiot gm will try and replace them with huge contracts to trash players like Kane or whoever?

I dont know what our cap is but if re signing the Sedins at 5M for 1 year stops JB from signing a stupid long term contract then I wouldnt care.. give them 7m on 1 year deal for all I care

then hopefully hes fired during next season and someone more qualified can use the cap space

edit. others brought this up too, shoulda kept reading past your post

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I am a big Sedin fan. But if they get north of $4M I will be annoyed. They have been great for the Canucks, but they are now very wealthy gentlemen. 1 or 2 years, NMC, and $2.5 - 3M max.

And there is no way that Pettersson should ever play with Sedins 5 on 5. This would be the softest line in the history of the Canucks. I actually wouldn't mind signing E. Kane 7 x $4.5 - 5 M. Tell him he plays with either the Sedins, or with Pettersson.

Baerts Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Pettersson Kane
Sedin sedin Virtanen

the rest of the junk .... re-sign Vanek if he takes the same deal.
I think signing Kane for 7 years (wont be that cheap either) is worse than one year of a weak slow powerplay special Swedish line

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
signing kane at all is a travesty and i hope he ****s off

You're all for re-signing the twins, then, right? If what kind of person you are > what kind of player you are, they should be on the team as long as they feel like it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You're all for re-signing the twins, then, right? If what kind of person you are > what kind of player you are, they should be on the team as long as they feel like it.

I don't think that is a reasonable interpretation of what he said.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
this is a weird kind of gotcha since i’m on the record in multiple places as wanting to re-sign them at basically any price

Not a gotcha, I was pretty sure you were on that side of the fence. I don't care enough to go looking for it, though, so I asked.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I am against signing either the Sedins or Kane and if you are going to claim some kind of incongruency there then you are either being intentionally disingenuous or you are a child.

Would rather sign the Sedins though.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I am against signing either the Sedins or Kane and if you are going to claim some kind of incongruency there then you are either being intentionally disingenuous or you are a child.

Would rather sign the Sedins though.

I'm probably just not smart enough to understand the nuances of your immense intellect. Is there a bell curve that better explains how "character" matters more for some than others? I do better with pictures.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm probably just not smart enough to understand the nuances of your immense intellect. Is there a bell curve that better explains how "character" matters more for some than others? I do better with pictures.

We can agree on one thing at least.

It does not require a tremendous amount of intellect to understand why "I don't want to sign a scumbag criminal" is not the same position as "we should sign a bad player as long as he has good character."

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I love the Sedins, but they are just really not good players at this point and we need to move in another direction. Too, I would like to see them on a contender.

But the idea that not re-signing them could mean Benning goes after Kane, just ugh.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I love the Sedins, but they are just really not good players at this point and we need to move in another direction. Too, I would like to see them on a contender.

But the idea that not re-signing them could mean Benning goes after Kane, just ugh.
Signing them to cheaper one year deals could possibly lead to them being coerced into a trade to a contender at the TDL. A limited ntc or full nmc since the ball would be in their court

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

under normal circumstances, i agree, but for me to have any investment at all in this train wreck i think they need to stay. also it’s big boy contract insurance

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If we dont sign the Sedins, dont you think our idiot gm will try and replace them with huge contracts to trash players like Kane or whoever?

I dont know what our cap is but if re signing the Sedins at 5M for 1 year stops JB from signing a stupid long term contract then I wouldnt care.. give them 7m on 1 year deal for all I care

then hopefully hes fired during next season and someone more qualified can use the cap space

edit. others brought this up too, shoulda kept reading past your post

Honestly though, part of me would love to see an $8M/7 year deal to someone like Kane, with NMC (not that it would need one). Anyone who supported Benning deserves something like that. And with reports that they were going to target Backlund (which would have required a similar contract as Eriksson) I believe this would happen too.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
to clarify ...

sign Kane if he will take a major discount for 7 years. We could use a bunch of the crap he brings. Do not sign him if no major discount.

Sign the Sedins if they too will take a serious discount.

Under these conditions only. Period. Do any of you people know how to play poker? Tell both groups you are all in. discount. or go.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kane will never sign in Vancouver. He can play.

Sedins are relics needing sheltered minutes. Canucks do not need them. In fact, they will block useful players. Benning will offer (I predict) three seasons at five per. Aquilini and his guys are geniuses.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks were a better team, I'd be all for bringing the Sedins back for one more 'farewell season'......but given where this team is at right now, it really makes more sense for them to retire and play out their careers in Sweden......Jimbo will be courting Kane in the off-season, you can guarantee it... also, if the Canucks were to free up the Sedins cap-space and trade Tanev, could they be all in on the Tavares sweepstakes?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Daniel hasn't lost his scoring touch..What worries me is Henrik,he seems to be regressing a little quicker than his brother.

Some nights.he's really labouring out there.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Daniel hasn't lost his scoring touch..What worries me is Henrik,he seems to be regressing a little quicker than his brother.

Some nights.he's really labouring out there.
Something changed in Daniel this month. He looks inspired.

Henrik, on the other hand, has lost his ability to shoot the puck. He scored 15 last season, but this year the fact that he is not a threat to score at all makes the duo so much more predictable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kane will never sign in Vancouver. He can play.

Sedins are relics needing sheltered minutes. Canucks do not need them. In fact, they will block useful players. Benning will offer (I predict) three seasons at five per. Aquilini and his guys are geniuses.

I'm not sure if Kane is a better player than either of them even now. He's everything people hate about Sutter in terms of not using his linemates and killing possession with poor offensive IQ, he just happens to be physically talented enough to score at a 2nd line rate despite that and look good in his possession numbers because he shoots from everywhere. But he kills the production of skilled players around him and is best suited to drive his own third line scoring line, which would be ok except you don't pay someone what he's going to ask for to play that role

Reactions: MS

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
People do realize the Sedins signed their new contracts in 2013/2014 after they lead the Western conference in scoring for 3 straight year and had an excellent start the season playing on a line with Kesler.

They’ll definitely be willing to take less than 5 million in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad