The Greatest Photos in the History of Hockey

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
tumblr_mvqzb6Ii7P1spx4u4o1_400.jpg

Gump Worsley knocked unconscious by a Bob Plager shot

Hate to say it, but Gump looked comical, even when hurting! Sorta like a beached whale.

I still recall an early 1970s playoff game, Montreal at Chicago that I saw on the closed-circuit TV in a theater.

Worsley got KO'd by a shot, laid flat on his face in the crease. Rogie Vachon replaced him, but had to take his warmup shots in the corner, while they slid Worsley off the ice without turning him over (fearing a neck injury). He survived, but Montreal lost, missing a chance to sweep that series, which they eventually won.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
1web.jpg

Guy Lafleur salutes the fans after getting his 1000th point in a 9-3 win over Winnipeg in March 1981. Behind Lafleur in the dark suit jacket is a 15 year old Mario Lemieux.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Great shot here

BoSEaV7CIAAhIpp.jpg

Maybe someone can explain this to me because it's been on my mind for many years. How is it old colour pictures like this are so sharp and clear like HD? But then you look at pictures from the 70s and 80s and they are all blurry and the quality seems so much worse?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maybe someone can explain this to me because it's been on my mind for many years. How is it old colour pictures like this are so sharp and clear like HD? But then you look at pictures from the 70s and 80s and they are all blurry and the quality seems so much worse?
Life Magazine and Time had the best photography, National Geographic quality, and that photo looks like it's from one of their cameras. You average newspaper journalist couldn't afford such technology.

Here's Plante from Time Magazine:

131210-life-jacques-plante-1959-mask.jpg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
From the 1924 Olympics. Man, what I'd give to see an NHL outdoor game in such surroundings! (I'd pay $500 a ticket for a once in a lifetime opportunity!)

Old-Winter-Olympics-Ice-Hockey.jpg

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB

I love those photos too they take me back to being a little boy.

I am no photo exert and DID not stay in a holiday express last night but ..... bright flash more contrast maybe ?

Vintage photo buff explaining it would be nice anyone ?

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
From the 1924 Olympics. Man, what I'd give to see an NHL outdoor game in such surroundings! (I'd pay $500 a ticket for a once in a lifetime opportunity!)

Just to set the record straight. It's from the 1948 Olympics in St.Moritz.
But I agree with you, it would be worth $500 to see it in such surroundings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad