TV: The Grand Tour

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Can't seem to find a stream with proper audio for episode 2. Anyone else noticing the audio problems with the guys. You can hear the audience and music but not the hosts throughout the whole episode. Weird.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I wonder if part of the issue for some is the lack of a "home."

I loved when they *****ed and moaned about UK driving issues and because they were in front of a UK audience, it played well. That clearly isn't going to be the case for this season and possibly all of them.

Personally I liked the first episode and anticipate liking the rest.

If the last version of TG took a couple of seasons to get going than the same should be true for TGT.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Thought the second episode was terrible.

Don't like the American driver. I said it after the first episode but they need to move on from the America jokes. I'm not being an overly sensitive American either (I thought it was hilarious when they made fun of the US on Top Gear) but it just seems like they're forcing it here. It's not natural. Plus, I don't really know if having a NASCAR driver taking these amazing cars around a racetrack is really the best way to showcase them. They should have gotten a Formula One driver. Lewis Hamilton would have been great.

Once again, the track portions with Jeremy in the Vulcan were still the best. Also agree with the poster above me that we're missing out on something by not having them in the UK and not really talking about UK issues. Not surprised that the only funny portion out of the whole military segment was May talking to the "Queen" about modernizing royalty.

I'm sure it will be fine eventually but this episode seemed like they were just trying to burn as much money as possible.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The American is just obnoxious. I'd like more reviews incorporating silly tests.

It's still not as good as the Top Gear of old. Apparently they'll shift to more car centric bits next week, so looking forward to that.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Yeah it seems they're trying too hard but TBH I felt that way in the last couple seasons of TG as well. I think we'll see the magic again if they do a road trip or cheap car challenge.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
If I were to rank old TG segments I would probably generate my ideal TGT episode from the first 3 or 4.

Specials/Road trips
Races
Challenges
News
Car review (standalone and not part of challenge/race)
Celebrity Lap

Just don't know how much of that is really possible with the new format but I'm not gonna be too upset only a couple of episodes into a brand new series.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Second episode was at best 5/10. Loved it until they put the chubby American in the track car. It just isn't funny.

The main segment of episode 2 was the 2 part SAS thing they did. Again, not very funny although it had a couple of funny moments. But I don't want to see the guys pretending to be SAS members - I want to see them being themselves and interacting with each other.

Growing pains I hope. But for the love of God get rid of the chubby American driver.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
That war thing was painful to watch. I don't mind The American since it takes only a minute of the show but watching a 30min segment of that war stuff was almost unbearable. Also, hope they get rid of the celebrities dying thing cause that's getting old really fast.

That being said, still looking forward to every episode.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
2nd episode was really lame. What's the point in going to different locations if they just do forced, Hollywood-type garbage.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
That war thing was painful to watch. I don't mind The American since it takes only a minute of the show but watching a 30min segment of that war stuff was almost unbearable. Also, hope they get rid of the celebrities dying thing cause that's getting old really fast.

Agree with that except for the celebrities dying thing. I think that's alright so far but they could run out of ideas fast using that big window they use to watch them die.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Yeah it seems they're trying too hard but TBH I felt that way in the last couple seasons of TG as well. I think we'll see the magic again if they do a road trip or cheap car challenge.

Road trips/specials are just the best. US, Burma, South Africa, etc.

Car challenges are a close second, especially when they have to build something like the hovercraft or buy a cheap car.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's almost like they have this huge budget and are using it for shock appeal, but it goes against what made Top Gear good.

I think the American will be here all season because there is no feedback with a show like this.

Do a budget car challenge, review some nice cars and get on with it. They were in South Africa and then did 20 minutes in Jordan - am i missing something here.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I, on the other hand, have loved the first 2 episodes (haven't watched 3 yet). I don't watch for the cars as much as I do for the trio. The lack of celebrities has been great as that was the worst part of Top Gear, and I'll agree there's some kinks to work out but it will take a season or two to truly hit the groove I imagine. It's a great foundation I think.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I, on the other hand, have loved the first 2 episodes (haven't watched 3 yet). I don't watch for the cars as much as I do for the trio. The lack of celebrities has been great as that was the worst part of Top Gear, and I'll agree there's some kinks to work out but it will take a season or two to truly hit the groove I imagine. It's a great foundation I think.

First, Diamondium is better. Second, I totally agree. I've enjoyed TGT quite a bit.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Episode 3 - this show has been a chore to get through. Top Gear was always scripted to some degree but it's really bad in TGT. Timing seems off, bits are carried out for way too long.
I agree. The feeling of spontaneity is gone and the scripting is so noticeable. The guys disguising their cars was just stupid and them falling out of the boat was so predictable. They didn't have the chubby American driver this time so that was a plus. I'm still hoping this is them just working the bugs out.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Yep, not really enjoying The Grand Tour so far. The scripted stuff is very obvious and unfunny. I'm afraid Amazon just doesn't know what made Top Gear so good.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Amazon has no creative control. It seems like Wilman studied American TV habits and tweaked the formula, but that's not what people want.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
They haven't done any of their golden challenges so far, so that's one issue. Cheap cars, building things, going on adventures, that's where they excel. So far it's been... a motoring show.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
They haven't done any of their golden challenges so far, so that's one issue. Cheap cars, building things, going on adventures, that's where they excel. So far it's been... a motoring show.

Well kind of, did they even review and test a car last week. That's one of my favorite parts is the honest candid feedback. This season may be what it is until they get some critique and refine it for next year.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It seems like they're trying to dumb everything down. No actual car talk anymore, no challenges, a whole bunch of meaningless explosions. That final bit where they destroyed the house was another cringeworthy piece of work alongside the military stuff from last week. Don't know if I can remember anything as bad as those two attempts at humor on TG.

I really wanted these three to come out and just kill it but it's not happening. They need to forget they have a gazillion dollar budget and just try to make a funny car show again. We need an hour long challenge episode soon to give them some direction.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

2016 says hi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad