TV: The Grand Tour

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They still haven't hit their stride and that's disappointing. They desperately need an entire show dedicated to a special road trip.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The dialogue during the challenge had me rolling along with May's car continually falling apart.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I like conversation street. It's just the news segment from TG which is great. The problem is when they try to do staged funny things in the tent but that was an issue with TG also.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Much improved episode 4 in my opinion. Nothing of the guys pretending to be soldiers or dumb **** like that. It was just them being the idiots we all know and love. I had some serious laughs at the cars they built - crossing the river, etc.

On the negative side, the chubby American is still testing cars.

How does anyone, let alone the creative minds behind the old series and the new one think that is funny? It is in my opinion the least funny segment ever presented on the entirety of the Top Gear/Grand Tour run. Actually that is wrong. Saying "least funny" implies there is at least something minimally funny about it, when it is actually devoid of funny. The guy has all the charisma of a neck beard who's risen through life to the lofty position of bowling alley attendant. It would serve them well to kill him off. For the next test drive have him go to a McDonald's Drive-thru and choke to death on a Quarter Pounder. That would be the first funny segment he appears in.

Anyways, other than the American driver, I was happy with episode 4. I enjoyed it the most so far - aside from the epic opening of episode one.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Much improved episode 4 in my opinion. Nothing of the guys pretending to be soldiers or dumb **** like that. It was just them being the idiots we all know and love. I had some serious laughs at the cars they built - crossing the river, etc.

On the negative side, the chubby American is still testing cars.

How does anyone, let alone the creative minds behind the old series and the new one think that is funny? It is in my opinion the least funny segment ever presented on the entirety of the Top Gear/Grand Tour run. Actually that is wrong. Saying "least funny" implies there is at least something minimally funny about it, when it is actually devoid of funny. The guy has all the charisma of a neck beard who's risen through life to the lofty position of bowling alley attendant. It would serve them well to kill him off. For the next test drive have him go to a McDonald's Drive-thru and choke to death on a Quarter Pounder. That would be the first funny segment he appears in.

Anyways, other than the American driver, I was happy with episode 4. I enjoyed it the most so far - aside from the epic opening of episode one.

I actually liked the American this time. They kept his speaking relatively minimal, while Jeremy talked over him. I cracked up when he made the joke about the turbo.

Overall I've loved every episode

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I think they might be using the American to prove the point that once made them invent the Stig, that racing drivers are utterly boring and can't possibly say anything meaningful or interesting.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think they might be using the American to prove the point that once made them invent the Stig, that racing drivers are utterly boring and can't possibly say anything meaningful or interesting.

Nah, It's just impossible to recapture the feel of the Stig. Just don't have the guy talk and call him whatever. Unless you got Hamilton or Schumacher to do it.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Nah, It's just impossible to recapture the feel of the Stig. Just don't have the guy talk and call him whatever. Unless you got Hamilton or Schumacher to do it.

I was reading something about how BBC has forced their hand. Their driver can't have his face covered or not speak.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was reading something about how BBC has forced their hand. Their driver can't have his face covered or not speak.

How can they stipulate that. People have been testing cars with face shields on for eons. Still, it seems like they are going out of the way to make it different.

I think the only issue is if they call him the Stig. Otherwise it's just a test driver. Heck, they have a test track, lap time board, ect.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Didn't they say in episode one that Amazon wanted a driver from this side of the pond? And that's why they chose the American.

Maybe to appeal to U.S. The Stig and maybe there were several is most likely a former F1 driver. You felt like you had an elite driver testing these cars. I don't know how The American fits in some of these cars...:laugh:

It still cracks me up when the Stig was running better times at night during the 24 hour comp with the black visor on. Great episode.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They could pick an ex F1 driver that actually talks about how the car feels rather than the idiotic American bit.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
They could pick an ex F1 driver that actually talks about how the car feels rather than the idiotic American bit.

This is what they should have done. The major problem with the Stig, even for those who loved that whole bit, is that we weren't getting any actual information about the cars from a professional driver. This should have been the window to put in someone with a little bit of charisma and a ton of knowledge but they did neither.

They have a ridiculous budget and the test track is still in England. They should just offer Hamilton a few million for the job. Kimi Raikkonen would be hilarious in that role also. It'd be awesome to have an F1 driver tell us his thoughts on the McLaren P1 v. Porsche 918.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Newest episode was the best one yet. They avoided a lot of the awkwardness in the studio segments and cut out the American. It actually felt like a car show instead of a show about blowing things up.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I got the feeling during episode 5 that Hammond on Grand Tour is basically the same as he was on TG and that it's May and Clarkson who seem out of sorts. Maybe all the America-centric stuff is working in Hammond's favor but May has been a nonentity outside of some good spots in episode 4 and Clarkson all of a sudden just seems awkward.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
James May needs to have his own show.
That GT40/Ferrari bit was almost like a Car of the People episode level of greatness.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This is what they should have done. The major problem with the Stig, even for those who loved that whole bit, is that we weren't getting any actual information about the cars from a professional driver. This should have been the window to put in someone with a little bit of charisma and a ton of knowledge but they did neither.

They have a ridiculous budget and the test track is still in England. They should just offer Hamilton a few million for the job. Kimi Raikkonen would be hilarious in that role also. It'd be awesome to have an F1 driver tell us his thoughts on the McLaren P1 v. Porsche 918.

Hamilton would be great! He was hilarious when he was on Top Gear.

Then stop watching?

As someone who only recently got into Top Gear and watched the last six seasons and clips of those previous on youtube, this show has been everything I expected.

I hate when that's a response. People were pretty pumped up for their return and so far it's been disappointing. I haven't caught the most recent episode.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Hamilton would be great! He was hilarious when he was on Top Gear.

I hate when that's a response. People were pretty pumped up for their return and so far it's been disappointing. I haven't caught the most recent episode.

I don't know what some of you were expecting, it's almost the exact same as the last few seasons of Top Gear.

People got way too excited and thought it was going to be something it was never going to be. It's a fine answer, if you don't like it fine but don't keep telling those that love it that it's terrible.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't know what some of you were expecting, it's almost the exact same as the last few seasons of Top Gear.

People got way too excited and thought it was going to be something it was never going to be. It's a fine answer, if you don't like it fine but don't keep telling those that love it that it's terrible.

Point of the forum is to discuss it and many on here have issues with the content. Something it's never going to be?? The show is not that complex but not it seems over produced. That was the lure of Top Gear, the corny cheap bits but not eh... seems like they are trying to hard.

The studio and related stuff is pretty bad. Really liked May's last segment on the most recent episode with Le mans, Ferrari vs. Ford.

Too bad The American was back. I still thing they are missing out by not utilizing the countries they're in for the segments. Seems strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad