OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
I've never been a reader, just never had the patience and/or attention span. That being said, I’ve always loved the idea of a reading a fiction. My wife on the other hand has been avid reader her entire life and i always admire the way she devours book after book. Throughout the years, she's gifted me books and I’ve purchased books, only to read a chapter or 2. She always told me to 'find what i like'...fast forward to last June and i found this novel, written by a Canadian author, Terry Fallis, the story is based in Ottawa and is about politics. The book is called 'The best laid plans' and is part of a trilogy...seems interesting, but so have 100s of other books and i never finished them or even got halfway through for that matter.

I started reading the book and to my surprise, it captivated me, and i found myself finishing it. I was so proud of myself that i immediately started reading the sequel and just like that finished it as well, and not only did i finish it but relatively quickly (for my standards lol). Then, just for the heck of it, i decided to go for the audio version of the final book...and I LOVED IT. Listening to the book, really helped me immerse myself in the story. I finished the audio-book within a week and i was hungry for more.

So then i decided to read a short novel by non other than Stephen King - The Shawshank redemption. I must say that i didn't love it, but i finished it, and that was the important part for me. For my next book, i really wanted to challenge myself (length wise), hoping that this wasn't a fluke, so i chose, Angels and Demons, and so far so good. The book is just over 700 pages, and i'm about a third of the way into it and loving it.

I turned 40 this year and i feel like a "new world" has been opened to me.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've never been a reader, just never had the patience and/or attention span. That being said, I’ve always loved the idea of a reading a fiction. My wife on the other hand has been avid reader her entire life and i always admire the way she devours book after book. Throughout the years, she's gifted me books and I’ve purchased books, only to read a chapter or 2. She always told me to 'find what i like'...fast forward to last June and i found this novel, written by a Canadian author, Terry Fallis, the story is based in Ottawa and is about politics. The book is called 'The best laid plans' and is part of a trilogy...seems interesting, but so have 100s of other books and i never finished them or even got halfway through for that matter.

I started reading the book and to my surprise, it captivated me, and i found myself finishing it. I was so proud of myself that i immediately started reading the sequel and just like that finished it as well, and not only did i finish it but relatively quickly (for my standards lol). Then, just for the heck of it, i decided to go for the audio version of the final book...and I LOVED IT. Listening to the book, really helped me immerse myself in the story. I finished the audio-book within a week and i was hungry for more.

So then i decided to read a short novel by non other than Stephen King - The Shawshank redemption. I must say that i didn't love it, but i finished it, and that was the important part for me. For my next book, i really wanted to challenge myself (length wise), hoping that this wasn't a fluke, so i chose, Angels and Demons, and so far so good. The book is just over 700 pages, and i'm about a third of the way into it and loving it.

Same Shawshank Redemption as the movie? I never knew King wrote that.

Reactions: Runner77

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hey all
Pierre Gervais 1st book good?
Looking for it in English

Yeah it's worth the read.

That's cool man. Entertainment wise, books are close to the best bang for buck. You get hours for 10-20-30$. Only video games are better, and you have to have a PC/console, so that adds on the price.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Amazon delivered Walter Isaacson book on Elon Musk today. Just read couple chapters so far but it's good book. He talked a chapter for governments to be more libertarian. Musk addicted to the game Polytopia. You guys ever play that? First I heard of it. We were almost at nuclear war with Russian in September '22. Ukraine was using Starlink for pearl harbor type attack to capture Crimea. He said Russia would do anything to keep Crimes. An attack would drive Russia to use nuclear weapons resulting likely a world war. Musk said not worth the risk of massive deaths for Ukraine to retake Crimes. He gave Ukraine 150 million of Starlink equipment originally to use for defense. But they starting using it to devise attacks on Russia. So, he turned it off 100 miles near Crimes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He was a super heavy smoker even for the time, in the 4 packs a day range. It did his heart and arteries no good, obviously.

If you stay awake 16 hours per day, 4 packs amounts to around one smoke every ten minutes. Basically, that's daylong chain-smoking.

Although, this hinges on whether you're speaking of 20 or 25 packs. Still, 4x20 is one smoke every 12 minutes. Make that one every 15 minutes if he slept around 6 hours.

That's still a staggering amount of cigarettes, of nicotine itself, which begs the question, did he grow-up in a very stressful environment? Because that is very typical of intense addictions. Or maybe it's PTSD from his work in the military? Or both?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If you stay awake 16 hours per day, 4 packs amounts to around one smoke every ten minutes. Basically, that's daylong chain-smoking.

Although, this hinges on whether you're speaking of 20 or 25 packs. Still, 4x20 is one smoke every 12 minutes. Make that one every 15 minutes if he slept around 6 hours.

That's still a staggering amount of cigarettes, of nicotine itself, which begs the question, did he grow-up in a very stressful environment? Because that is very typical of intense addictions. Or maybe it's PTSD from his work in the military? Or both?
Men smoked a lot back then, chain smoking in itself was very much seen as a manly, masculine thing. Just watch any classic film noir from that era ( I just rewatch out of the past with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas the other day), it's pretty much non stop smoking.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

my folks were both chain smokers 3-3.5 packs a day, When they say 4 packs, its not really 4, most of the cigs burn out on the ashtray or in their hand, they probably smoke 3 packs and waste another 15 cigs a day. My parents would wake up in the night to smoke, it was unreal. Mom could even have a dart going while washing dishes lol

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Ken Dryden was on with Ken Conners this morning, he has a new book out called The Class. In grade eight he and others from 4 schools in Etobicoke wrote a test and a select group of about 35 students was formed that spent their 5 years of high school together. He contacted the group and they shared their memories and how their lives unfolded. I've read three of his books, like his writing style. This new book sounds interesting.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ken Dryden was on with Ken Conners this morning, he has a new book out called The Class. In grade eight he and others from 4 schools in Etobicoke wrote a test and a select group of about 35 students was formed that spent their 5 years of high school together. He contacted the group and they shared their memories and how their lives unfolded. I've read three of his books, like his writing style. This new book sounds interesting.
His books are so boring.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Those are some good advices. For any wannabe writers trying to get better at their craft, I'd suggest reading Chuck Palahniuk's book, Consider This!. He gives up a lot of his tricks and many devices from minimalistic writting.

71-M8-ZHh-Cfi-L-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille