OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm reading Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King

1699889319397.png

I Don't Care About Your Band by Julie Klausner

1699889441841.png

Late Wife by Claudia Emerson

1699889542935.png

I'm enjoying all three, but also have my eye on some new books I'd like to start reading soon...

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Keeping up with what's happening on the news, I ordered and received two weeks ago five books.

I've almost finished "The Invention of the Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand. An excellent book.

The other four books are:
The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine - Ilan Pappe
Gaza - An Inquest into Its Martyrdom - Norman Finkelstein
The Hundred Years' War on Palestine - Rashid Khalidi
The Invention of Ancient Israel - Keith W. Whitelam

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
All The Presidents Men.png

Have enjoyed the film several times over the years, wanted to read the book first this time. What a compelling story with all of the detective work by the two journalists. Such a great film, enjoyed it even more after reading the book.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Keeping up with what's happening on the news, I ordered and received two weeks ago five books.

I've almost finished "The Invention of the Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand. An excellent book.

The other four books are:
The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine - Ilan Pappe
Gaza - An Inquest into Its Martyrdom - Norman Finkelstein
The Hundred Years' War on Palestine - Rashid Khalidi
The Invention of Ancient Israel - Keith W. Whitelam
I've heard so much about Jews and Palastine lately I couldn't stand to hear anymore

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We're staying with one of my siblings and went through their library and picked this one up. Knew about it and the outcome through the media and interviews with the author but it was still an interesting read.

book.jpg

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
Well, it's not like I was assigning to this forum those books as homework over the holidays.

You mean i don' t have to read those?! ;P

I took a bit of a break (about a month or so) and am now reading this...i'm about 60% into it and so far so good.

1701887991149.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You mean i don' t have to read those?! ;P

I took a bit of a break (about a month or so) and am now reading this...i'm about 60% into it and so far so good.

View attachment 778666

Never read him but always enjoyed his views on the process of writing:

“When asked about his writing process, Coben said he writes in streaks. "Takes me about nine months to write a book, let's say, and at the end I'm writing more than at the beginning," he said. "(The) last 30 pages of (my latest book) I finished in one day. It's not a pretty day.”
Mar 22, 2012

He comes across as honest and practical. He’s a no-nonsense guy who just gets things done.

Reactions: Zorro and Chili

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
I just finished reading draft day by maclean...this reads more like an autobiography than insider info on the draft. Most of the draft/trade stories that he shares are already well known, however, there are a few interesting nuggets. i give it a 3/5.

1705019368652.png

I'm currently reading the 2nd book - The Brass Verdict - in the Lincoln Lawyer series by Connelly. I very much enjoyed the first installment and so far this one doesn't disappoint. The Lincoln Lawyer show (season 1) on Netflix, is actually based on this book and i've already seen the show so i can make the comparisons.

1705019870099.png

Reactions: Runner77 and Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Mandela.png

One man's incredible determination to change his world. He was a brilliant man, a well educated lawyer who paid a very heavy price to bring about that change. I wanted to watch the film, so read the book first. The film is well done, hits on the main points of the story though the book is 656 pages. Guess Idris Elba (not surprisingly) couldn't do the finger pushups. While imprisoned, Mandela kept himself in great shape. Great book, very moving story.

Crime and Punishment.png

Don't read much fiction but want to read some of the classics. What a story, the characters whose lives intersect after the initial crime. It's painful and profound to read at times, meticulous and moving. Also wanted to watch a film version starring the great Peter Lorre. The 1935 film is a much simpler telling of the story without several of the characters plus some changes which lighten the mood. Incredible book, film was ok, I see there are other film versions which I may check out.

Edit: The 1970 film version of C & P closely follows the book, very well cast too.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Will read this when the mrs gets done with it. Kind of wished her friend didn't give it to her as it puts her in a rather unpleasant mood. Nothing better than a pissed off onna-bugeisha to make your day hunky dory, looks like she's plotting something too, scary. Probably shouldn't have taken her to a US military installation so close to such a historical occasion.:badidea:
81BAZq7-W8L._SY385_.jpg

Found this in the library great movie but never read the book until now.

6vont1.gif

b38f572b4247cd83736d84c80a6a792e.jpg

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Just finished this one:
1705075295160.png

I highly recommend it. Very impressive.

I'm now reading this one that won the GG award:
1705075405594.png

We'll see. I only just started. I don't think I'll love it.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Going through the whole Game of Thrones series, Song of Ice and Fire, on Audible. Book 1 almost done. A few seasons ahead watching on television. It's fun to hear the difference in how characters are portrayed. I often project the actors into the plot.

Someone on Twitter X mentioned The Religion, so I also have book 1 on deck.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Going through the whole Game of Thrones series, Song of Ice and Fire, on Audible. Book 1 almost done. A few seasons ahead watching on television. It's fun to hear the difference in how characters are portrayed. I often project the actors into the plot.

Someone on Twitter X mentioned The Religion, so I also have book 1 on deck.
The books are so insanely better it’s not even reasonable
Unfortunately they’ll never be finished so keep that in mind as you invest 150 hours in your project

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad