OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If it was on Audible, was it really a « read »? :sarcasm:

Must say that the idea of a narrated book seems appealing.
I use "read" in quotations a lot in this thread. I cannot find time for novels without this method. My work is far from 9-5. It's made a difference in my command of the language, as a lecturer and academic writer. I feel that the practice has turbocharged my abilities.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I use "read" in quotations a lot in this thread. I cannot find time for novels without this method. My work is far from 9-5. It's made a difference in my command of the language, as a lecturer and academic writer. I feel that the practice has turbocharged my abilities.
Can’t knock it until I try it so you may have signaled a great suggestion. I’ll start a new job soon, one that will involve some long commutes. When that happens, an audible book might just be the go-to thing for me.

Thanks for having reminded me of it.

Are there any choices of plans available or is it just one flat, standard fee giving you access to all of their library?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Can’t knock it until I try it so you may have signaled a great suggestion. I’ll start a new job soon, one that will involve some long commutes. When that happens, an audible book might just be the go-to thing for me.

Are there any choices of plans available or is it just one flat, standard fee giving you access to all of their library?
As low as $8 a month, which comes with one credit towards a book each month.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

You can also get audiobooks for free from your local library, if you are in a city. It works the same way as renting a digital book.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
1689811832394.png

:D

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. It took me a long time but was a really fun read. I'm now reading Babel: An Arcane History for a bookclub - it doesn't seem very good. When I get back to town maybe I'll switch for something more interesting.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. It took me a long time but was a really fun read. I'm now reading Babel: An Arcane History for a bookclub - it doesn't seem very good. When I get back to town maybe I'll switch for something more interesting.
Great book. I read it a long time ago up until the last 100 pages then finished those last 100 like 10-15 years after lol. I should re-read it.

I’m reading last temptation of Christ right now which kind of reminds me of it. It seems close to that ‘magic realism’ style if it isn’t wholly.

But so far it’s pretty incredible. Beautifully written and so dense yet very engaging and readable. I don’t quite know where prose ends and poetry begins but it’s very high end writing and considering it was translated into English makes it all the more impressive

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Great book. I read it a long time ago up until the last 100 pages then finished those last 100 like 10-15 years after lol. I should re-read it.

I’m reading last temptation of Christ right now which kind of reminds me of it. It seems close to that ‘magic realism’ style if it isn’t wholly.

But so far it’s pretty incredible. Beautifully written and so dense yet very engaging and readable. I don’t quite know where prose ends and poetry begins but it’s very high end writing and considering it was translated into English makes it all the more impressive
Last Temptation of Christ has an underrated soundtrack, by Peter Gabriel. Hypnotic movie.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Can you pls list which Audible books you found particularly enjoyable and whether they were narrated by the author or a voice actor?
It's almost never the author, which adds to the theatricality (it's a very different skillset than writing a compelling novel). In fact, I cannot think of any narrated by the author. Most of the time, it's a male narrator who can also do female voices, but on occasion, I've run into a female narrator who can do male voices - such as Never by Ken Follett. I like novels where I travel in time, as well as geographically, especially if there is a military aspect involved. I'm a sucker for a medieval shield wall. The whole Pillars of the Earth series from Ken Follett was mesmerizing. A fifth novel is coming out in September btw. I enjoyed The Winter King (on the legend of Arthur) and the others that came afterward, by Bernard Cornwell, as well as the first two from Last Kingdom (Uhtred, the foundation of the Netflix series). I tend to look for websites that recommend novels with a historical backdrop. I'm gearing up for Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (well reviewed & I liked the movie), as soon as I finish Agincourt by Cornwell.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It's almost never the author, which adds to the theatricality (it's a very different skillset than writing a compelling novel). In fact, I cannot think of any narrated by the author. Most of the time, it's a male narrator who can also do female voices, but on occasion, I've run into a female narrator who can do male voices - such as Never by Ken Follett. I like novels where I travel in time, as well as geographically, especially if there is a military aspect involved. I'm a sucker for a medieval shield wall. The whole Pillars of the Earth series from Ken Follett was mesmerizing. A fifth novel is coming out in September btw. I enjoyed The Winter King (on the legend of Arthur) and the others that came afterward, by Bernard Cornwell, as well as the first two from Last Kingdom (Uhtred, the foundation of the Netflix series). I tend to look for websites that recommend novels with a historical backdrop. I'm gearing up for Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (well reviewed & I liked the movie), as soon as I finish Agincourt by Cornwell.
There are a few famous examples, especially Neil Gaiman doing some of his own books. Also Stephen King did a few.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Had not read is in a few years, use to read it once a year or so, so I picked up my copy of Neuromancer

View attachment 730158

20230724-070715.jpg

Damn you. Because of you I'm starting my vacay mornings with this. Have only read it in french, a long time ago and have never read another Gibson book, so I might just get into that.

It feels like a different read in English.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
20230724-070715.jpg

Damn you. Because of you I'm starting my vacay mornings with this. Have only read it in french, a long time ago and have never read another Gibson book, so I might just get into that.

It feels like a different read in English.
Well he coined a number of terms that are still being used today in english like cyberpace comes from him back in 1982. Same with the word Matrix as was later used in the Matrix movie i,e, A graphic representation of data and computer networks. A “consensual hallucination” also known as cyberspace.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well he coined a number of terms that are still being used today in english like cyberpace comes from him back in 1982. Same with the word Matrix as was later used in the Matrix movie i,e, A graphic representation of data and computer networks. A “consensual hallucination” also known as cyberspace.

The page i photographed was exactly where the Wachowskys (i guess) took inspiration for the famous view of the coded matrix. The reference to protein strains.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The page i photographed was exactly where the Wachowskys (i guess) took inspiration for the famous view of the coded matrix. The reference to protein strains.
Ya see it now went over to my personal laptop. Was on my work laptop before and work security/firewall cuts pictures depending where they come from, what site they are saved at etc.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad