OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
25wc90.jpg

We've always brought up the idea of a book thread but never got around to it.

Was suddenly reminded when I saw this post in the GDT:

Good read.

"Gone South" by Robert Macammond. Also "A Boys Life" same author.

Oldies but a goodies.

Dont make a habit of recommending books but everyone I have suggested these two fiction novels to....... thanked me. They are that good.

And since we're conceivably going to have more time on our hands with the Habs becoming a footnote, let's get this rolling: what are you reading right now and why? And if you're not reading anything or are between books, what have you really enjoyed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am reading Karl Subban's book "How we did it". Worth reading. Tells his life story, from growing up in Jamaica to basketball player at Lakeland to Principal at Toronto junior high. Then talks about how to raise kids properly to make them successful. He says it is not in the genes. It's about hard work and correct decisions in life.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I am reading Karl Subban's book "How we did it". Worth reading. Tells his life story, from growing up in Jamaica to basketball player at Lakeland to Principal at Toronto junior high. Then talks about how to raise kids properly to make them successful. He says it is not in the genes. It's about hard work and correct decisions in life.

So... The Subbans have character?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Ha! Reading that same book now. My son got it with his Christmas money and now that he finished, I'm reading it. As a parent, I am relating to this book and having many of the same struggles as Karl.

I just finished Wonder. Going to watch the movie this weekend now with my daughter.

Along with Subban's book, I am now reading World War Z. Saw the movie a while back and the book is very different.

I used to be an avid comic book reader when I was a kid, and started reading some Marvel comics to learn more about the Infinity Stones they talk about in the MCU. I've read a number of Infinity related comics, but currently reading the comics around the "Infinity" story line (Hickman and Cheung). This is an excellent series and based on what I've seen in the Infinity War trailer, looks like they borrow some concepts from the comic story.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You guys will think I'm the biggest geek, but I've been on an historical-bio binge. Finished David McCullough's "The Wright Brothers", which was a fantastic read. That early-20th-century era is so rich with inventions, and the inventors themselves equally epic. Also love well-written historical-fiction. Favourite authors include Follett and Rutherfurd.

Currently reading this frikkin massive book on Ulysses S. Grant. Thing weighs a ton. My wife asked if I was reading the bible.

Otherwise, I go through a ton of mystery/thriller stuff and hard sci-fi.

Hockey related: Phil Esposito's bio, Thunder and Lightning, was lots of fun.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I just finished Bellevue Square By Michael Redhill. Darkly comic novel about mental illness. it was really good. Also reading I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong. Non-fiction about microbiomes that is super interesting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My favorite blogger, Keith Law (ESPN senior writer and ex-Blue Jays assistant GM), is a fascinating read. He's an intellectual, an analyst, an epicurean, a Harvard graduate, an MBA and well-traveled. And has compiled several lists of interest, including his top 102 novels of all time.

At the top of his list:

1. The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov. Full review. An absolute masterpiece, banned by the Soviets for decades for its subtle yet severe indictment of communism’s many, many failures. The Devil comes to Moscow and exposes its society for all its vapidity, running into the frustrated author The Master and his faithful girlfriend Margarita, a story intertwined with a dialogue between Pontius Pilate and Jesus, all stacked with allusions to the Bible and major works of 19th century Russian literature. It is a work of unbridled genius, of acrimonious dissent, and most of all, of hope and faith in humanity.

Rest of his top novels list: The Klaw 102: the top novels of all time, version 3.

All lists are subjective and flawed by definition so I definitely don't want to start a debate about his choices. I only brought this up for his top choice, which has a fascinating backstory to it -- it's not just the novel but how the Russians sought to suppress it. Anyone read it? Seeing on Amazon that this book has been cited as an inspiration for Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you are an advanced reader and you are a fan of psychological/suspense books read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

My favorite book of all time.

Have that at home, haven’t got around to it yet.

I’m currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I was a fan of The Road. He’s always a challenge to read, quite a unique style. It’s like seamless and disjointed at the same time. Not stream of consciousness, but yes. Love the originality.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Rereading Bourdain's Medium Raw. Just finished Trevanian's fine novel, Shibumi.

Up next, Umberto Eco, not yet certain which title.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rereading Bourdain's Medium Raw. Just finished Trevanian's fine novel, Shibumi.

Up next, Umberto Eco, not yet certain which title.

Thanks for chiming in. Can you share what inspired to read those and whether you recommend?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
When it comes to Bourdain, my interest has less to do with my culinary proclivities and much more to do with his perspective on the industry, and entertaining and irreverent style of writing. Medium Raw is more of the same, but is worth the price of admission solely for the chapter "Alan Richman is a D*bag". It's a beautifully cutting takedown and points out the bias and entitlement of a prominent restaurant critic. Hysterical stuff, really.

Trevanian is, among other things, a wonderful writer in the Thriller genre. He wrote the novel "The Eiger Sanction" which the Eastwood film was based on. I'd characterize his work as Ludlumesque, but with intelligence, literacy and imagination, qualities sorely absent in Ludlum.

Umberto Eco is one of the finest novelists today (died in 2016) in my reckoning. Everything I've read by him is brilliant, including "The Name of the Rose" (Connery film), "Foucault's Pendulum", and "Baudolino". Eco's works are translated from the original Italian and frequently inhabit historical settings.

Reactions: Roke and Runner77

Prometheus1

Oct 19, 2017
Canadaaa
Steven King IT for the spooks..lag's a little sometimes but compelling most of the time. Its a pretty big book (1200 pages) now nearing the end

Read a little of everything..all the harry potters recently

Game of thrones, lord of the rings, meditations marcus aurelius, the essential rumi, the exorcist, count of monte cristo

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When it comes to Bourdain, my interest has less to do with my culinary proclivities and much more to do with his perspective on the industry, and entertaining and irreverent style of writing. Medium Raw is more of the same, but is worth the price of admission solely for the chapter "Alan Richman is a D*bag". It's a beautifully cutting takedown and points out the bias and entitlement of a prominent restaurant critic. Hysterical stuff, really.

Trevanian is, among other things, a wonderful writer in the Thriller genre. He wrote the novel "The Eiger Sanction" which the Eastwood film was based on. I'd characterize his work as Ludlumesque, but with intelligence, literacy and imagination, qualities sorely absent in Ludlum.

Umberto Eco is one of the finest novelists today (died in 2016) in my reckoning. Everything I've read by him is brilliant, including "The Name of the Rose" (Connery film), "Foucault's Pendulum", and "Baudolino". Eco's works are translated from the original Italian and frequently inhabit historical settings.

Thanks for the feedback. I concur about Eco, have read The Name of the Rose years ago, only have a faint memory of it.

Bourdain I follow on TV but given how well-travelled he is, his perspective and as you rightly point out, his irreverence, is something I always admire -- call it the deviation that makes progress possible. :sarcasm: Was reading up on him and how his new girlfriend has influenced choices he made this season for his CNN show:

“We were shooting in Nigeria and I get a text [from Asia] saying, ‘Are you aware of the Nigeria psychedelic rock scene from the 1970s?’ and I’m like, ‘What? No!'” he says. “This was an enormously helpful, inspiring thing that altered the sound for the show and changed up a lot.”

Anthony Bourdain Opens Up About His Girlfriend Asia Argento: 'We're Both Circus Freaks'

I listened to cuts of Nigerian psychedelic rock of the 70s and came away impressed.

Back to your readings, Trevanian intrigues me. I hate dumbed-down, mass produced thrillers that aren't, so it's refreshing to see someone intelligently writing in this genre. Is Trevanian's Shibumi, your favorite from his collection?

Reactions: groovejuice

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Just finished reading Game Change by Ken Dryden. Like @PaulD already said, this is a tremendous read for any hockey fan. I was quite surprised at how addictive a read it was.

Speaking of addiction, lol, I'm almost through reading Scar Tissue, which is Anthony Kiedis' biography. Strong strong material too. It's amazing to me that this guy's still alive and kicking after all he's been through.

Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You guys will think I'm the biggest geek, but I've been on an historical-bio binge. Finished David McCullough's "The Wright Brothers", which was a fantastic read. That early-20th-century era is so rich with inventions, and the inventors themselves equally epic. Also love well-written historical-fiction. Favourite authors include Follett and Rutherfurd.

Currently reading this frikkin massive book on Ulysses S. Grant. Thing weighs a ton. My wife asked if I was reading the bible.

Otherwise, I go through a ton of mystery/thriller stuff and hard sci-fi.

Hockey related: Phil Esposito's bio, Thunder and Lightning, was lots of fun.

You look like a voracious reader. May I ask you how you manage to get through your bricks? What kind of time are you able to dedicate to your passion, say on a weekly basis? Just curious, I'm lagging on several books I've been meaning to get through over quite some time now.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks for the feedback. I concur about Eco, have read The Name of the Rose years ago, only have a faint memory of it.

Bourdain I follow on TV but given how well-travelled he is, his perspective and as you rightly point out, his irreverence, is something I always admire -- call it the deviation that makes progress possible. :sarcasm: Was reading up on him and how his new girlfriend has influenced choices he made this season for his CNN show:

Anthony Bourdain Opens Up About His Girlfriend Asia Argento: 'We're Both Circus Freaks'

I listened to cuts of Nigerian psychedelic rock of the 70s and came away impressed.

Back to your readings, Trevanian intrigues me. I hate dumbed-down, mass produced thrillers that aren't, so it's refreshing to see someone intelligently writing in this genre. Is Trevanian's Shibumi, your favorite from his collection?

The Eiger Sanction and Loo Sanction are both very good reads. IMO Shibumi (so far) eclipses them both and more.

I didn't realize that Bourdain was dating. I thought he became a solid family man with his previous, quite extraordinary wife. I guess time creates new wounds in the same fashion it heals old ones.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I read it a few times when I was in my teens. Not sure it translates well.

Apparently, there is more than one translation of The Master and Margarita and one of them is better rendered than the other(s).

Already I'm not a fan of translations so if it's not well-executed, that may remove the lustre associated with the original. Thanks for letting me know.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Eiger Sanction and Loo Sanction are both very good reads. IMO Shibumi (so far) eclipses them both and more.

I didn't realize that Bourdain was dating. I thought he became a solid family man with his previous, quite extraordinary wife. I guess time creates new wounds in the same fashion it heals old ones.

Bourdain is dating someone who lives an unconventional life and who has been an actress since her childhood. As you saw from the link, she was featured in his Rome Parts Unknown episode and I suspect, it's going to have an effect on what he writes next. Shibumi sounds like a book I'll keep on my radar, thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->