OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not sure how you come to this conclusion at all. But one never knows with Aussie guitarists I suppose. :skeptic:

I don't text while driving, nor do I advocate it. I turn on an Audible novel, then I drive to work. Take me through your thinking step by step. If I use a smart phone for communications, does that also imply that I condone students texting in class?

That's all I'm going to say about this, since I have a strict Twain-like policy about getting drawn into nonsensical arguments.

Yup! I'm on the same page as you obviously don't understand,and you're a professor:rolleyes:
Anyways,drive safely:crossfing

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
View attachment 582382
Can't forget that name!. Must have been Galavin I heard calling his name. How was Sheldon,looks like a pleasant man.

View attachment 582383
Alec Guinness, nice. One of the best. Hard to remember much. Was trying to remember teachers I had in school the other day, not many. I do remember the skills they taught us at hockey camp which were spot on, like as dmen focusing on the getting the body or the puck from the opponent or it's a scoring chance. Shea Weber was a textbook example of the way I learned how to play d. I remember Jim Watson more then Kannegiesser because he signed autographs for all of us. They were all helpful. Think what I recall the clearest was how cold the water was for our 5am swims in the lake. brrrr.

Last edited:

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Alec Guinness, nice. One of the best. Hard to remember much. Was trying to remember teachers I had in school the other day, not many. I do remember the skills they taught us at hockey camp which were spot on, like as dmen focusing on the getting the body or the puck from the opponent or it's a scoring chance. Shea Weber was a textbook example of the way I learned how to play d. I remember Jim Watson more then Kannegiesser because he signed autographs for all of us. They were all helpful. Think what I recall the clearest was how cold the water was for our 5am swims in the lake. brrrr.
Somehow a quick glamce at Guiness,John Mahoney or Peter Sellers,and they have facial similaraties.
I remeber a Watson,Flyers D? toughguy?
Kanegiesser for me is easy to remeber for some reason,uniquiness perhaps,don't know what team or postion though:dunce:
5 am swims? Didn't know the Amish swim:dunno:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Just received a Schuyler Bible. Regardless of your faith or issues with me using the word “Bible”? This book is f***ing magnificent in binding and materials used to construct the book. Seriously!

Last edited:
Reactions: bopeep and Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm half in the Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Excellent like other novels by MC. It's interresting to read a crime story view by the optic of a defense lawyer. MC must have done a lot of job getting infos from lawyers to write this novel.

I saw the different books for sale on internet and on the covers the Lincoln car is different years model depending on the books. That means we can imagine any Lincoln car year and it's probable. Funny.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
for those leaving in Quebec, i recommend to read or even re-read the book "The Highway Safety Code" from the SAAQ

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
for those leaving in Quebec, i recommend to read or even re-read the book "The Highway Safety Code" from the SAAQ
Is this where we can read :" Hèye tsé ta frette tu dois la tenir d'la main drette quand tu chauffe ton char pis fas attention aux beux qui s'cachent en dessour des viaducs"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I just finished The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. I really enjoyed it. I'm also inching my way through One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
A few books I've read in my hiatus from this place

Re-read Evolution in Four Dimensions by Eva Jablonka

Re-read Magic Trees of the Mind by Marian Diamond

Read Lamarck's Revenge by Peter Ward

Read Breaking Rockefeller by some fellow who i can't be bothered to remember his name. It's a history of Royal Dutch Shell and its battle with Standard.

Read part 1 of Whitney Webb's One Nation Under Blackmail. Am reading part 2 right now.

Re-read Peter Joseph's The New Human Rights Movement.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
It's been a while since I read anything in French so I decided to re-read Gustave Flaubert's "Salammbo". It's a terrific story in any language. I find it amazing that no one in Hollywood has been interested in making this into a movie. It has all the key attributes. Philippe Druillet created a graphic version of Flaubert's story in the 80s that could easily used as a model.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's been a while since I read anything in French so I decided to re-read Gustave Flaubert's "Salammbo". It's a terrific story in any language. I find it amazing that no one in Hollywood has been interested in making this into a movie. It has all the key attributes. Philippe Druillet created a graphic version of Flaubert's story in the 80s that could easily used as a model.
It was turned into 3 silent films from 1914-1925.

And then, made into a regular film in early 1960:

MV5BZTU5ODQ2NDQtZmMzMS00ZDBlLWI2NDEtOGI4OGFlNzExZGJkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0NzcxMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Complete film is on YouTube:

It became several musical productions and even a video game, a play and comic series but you are correct, no Hollywood adaptations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili and kyne

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
It was turned into 3 silent films from 1914-1925.

And then, made into a regular film in early 1960:

MV5BZTU5ODQ2NDQtZmMzMS00ZDBlLWI2NDEtOGI4OGFlNzExZGJkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0NzcxMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Complete film is on YouTube:

It became several musical productions and even a video game, a play and comic series but you are correct, no Hollywood adaptations.

I was aware there was an Italian "sword and sandal" version done in 1960 . I've never seen it but I am under the impression it is heavily censored to the point of altering the story e.g. a happy ending. I think Hollywood could make it today with all of Flaubert's story more or less intact. Chapter 13 alone would elicit extremely strong reactions. It certainly does when you read it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was aware there was an Italian "sword and sandal" version done in 1960 . I've never seen it but I am under the impression it is heavily censored to the point of altering the story e.g. a happy ending. I think Hollywood could make it today with all of Flaubert's story more or less intact. Chapter 13 alone would elicit extremely strong reactions. It certainly does when you read it.
The whole idea of « sword and sandal » sounds incompatible and somewhat odd. You’d figure they’d use better footwear when brandishing swords.

Watched that film yesterday and the music alone is enough to drive you nuts. It’s invasive, overbearing and ever present and yes, the ending is happy. It has its moments but it has low production value — not something I would recommend watching. It’s a chore to take in, hence a new film adaptation could really shine.

Reactions: kyne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad