OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces. It's a good light read. Not exactly the kind you'd want to re-read several times but entertaining the first time around nonetheless.
I think I'll mostly stick the classics, there's more substance in them.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
For the dystopian sci-fi/anticipation fans out there, I just finished reading the Wool trilogy of books by Hugh Howey. I was pretty much hooked from the get go, the world building is well done and the premise is quite interesting . I could have done without a few of the narrative cliches here and there but they never bothered me enough to take me out of the story. The rights have been bought by Fox for a possible movie adaptation so you might hear about it a lot more at some point in the near future. I'd give it a pretty solid recommendation, even more so if you're a fan of the Fallout games since it's a similar universe in a lot of ways.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished A Confederacy of Dunces. It's a good light read. Not exactly the kind you'd want to re-read several times but entertaining the first time around nonetheless.

I have the book but never got around to it. I was intrigued by it on account of how it came to be. Fascinating story all its own.

From Goodreads:

Toole's novels remained unpublished during his lifetime. Some years after his death by suicide, Toole's mother brought the manuscript of A Confederacy of Dunces to the attention of the novelist Walker Percy, who ushered the book into print. In 1981 Toole was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Ozy,

I have the same snobbery regarding audiobooks. People talk about how great they are for long drives. I’m so set in my ways I don’t think I’ll ever cross the line. I do enjoy podcasts, so I’m not a complete Luddite (I have never owned a gas barbecue, I get pretty traditional about things).

I read Liar’s Poker and This Boy’s Life on a recent holiday. Liar’s is a good look at 80s Wall Street, and TBL was an easy read. It’s a solid movie with Deniro, Ellen Barkin and a young Leo.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ozy,

I have the same snobbery regarding audiobooks. People talk about how great they are for long drives. I’m so set in my ways I don’t think I’ll ever cross the line. I do enjoy podcasts, so I’m not a complete Luddite (I have never owned a gas barbecue, I get pretty traditional about things).

I read Liar’s Poker and This Boy’s Life on a recent holiday. Liar’s is a good look at 80s Wall Street, and TBL was an easy read. It’s a solid movie with Deniro, Ellen Barkin and a young Leo.

You can tag people by using the "@" in front of a user's complete name. The user will get a tag notification.

Reactions: Runner77

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
A book I enjoyed a few years ago was 'Brothers:The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years' by David Talbot. Alot of interesting stuff including about Nov 22, 1963 and the fallout.

Currently reading 'The Men Who Tried to Kill Hitler' by Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel. All about Valkyrie from the beginnings.

Is the Hitler one any good? I'm also reading one called "The man who flew the Memphis Belle" by Robert Morgan (the pilot). I love any stories involving B-17s or WW2 in general actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili and Runner77

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
It started as a self development teenager/young adult journey, now it became more of a broad interest in psychology, a seek to understand our human nature. If you guys would like some recommendations in that regard, here are the books I read in recent years. I am pretty big on evolutionary psychology right now.
Matgagne’s 'read' books on Goodreads (65 books)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have the book but never got around to it. I was intrigued by it on account of how it came to be. Fascinating story all its own.

From Goodreads:

I bought it when it was published, never got through it. Maybe it's time to give it another chance, this time the English edition.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
It started as a self development teenager/young adult journey, now it became more of a broad interest in psychology, a seek to understand our human nature. If you guys would like some recommendations in that regard, here are the books I read in recent years. I am pretty big on evolutionary psychology right now.
Matgagne’s 'read' books on Goodreads (65 books)

There's a book out called Lost Connections along your lines that I've yet to read. It sounds fascinating from a happy/sad perspective. If Chomksy recommends it then it should be worthwhile.

I've always been a huge fan of 19th century fiction, but I'm currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I loved the movie but had never read it.
Fun fact: The book is told from the perspective of the Big Chief.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Oh it's definitely worth many re-reads. One of the funnier books ever written. I mean yeah it's not Dostoevsky but it's hardly a pulp novel. Pretty cerebral in parts.

Dark and corrupt times call for a re-read of 1984.

Fun fact: Bergevin started his NHL career in 1984, coincidence? :sarcasm:

Just started reading it!

From Goodreads:

Yeah it's a real shame. I think he's an absolute fantastic writer. I haven't read a ton of humorous books but to me it's up there with Catch-22. It's smart but accessible. One of the few books I've re-read more than once. Can't recommend it enough

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

From Goodreads:
Yeah, that's what attracted me to it in the first place as well. You won't regret reading it.

Oh it's definitely worth many re-reads. One of the funnier books ever written. I mean yeah it's not Dostoevsky but it's hardly a pulp novel. Pretty cerebral in parts.
It is funny and witty no doubt about it. Perhaps reading it soon after finishing a Dostoevsky novel influenced my take on it, but like I said, in general I'm more partial to the classics.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I’m on a bit of a Band of Brothers and Pacific kick right now. I’ve watched the series about a dozen times each but never picked up the books, so I hit up amazon and picked up.

With the old breed, band of brothers and I’m currently reading David Websters Parachute infantry: an American paratroopers memoir of d-day, so far it’s great. Since it just follows one man you get a far more in depth look at what soldiers went through.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There's a book out called Lost Connections along your lines that I've yet to read. It sounds fascinating from a happy/sad perspective. If Chomksy recommends it then it should be worthwhile.

I've always been a huge fan of 19th century fiction, but I'm currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I loved the movie but had never read it.
Fun fact: The book is told from the perspective of the Big Chief.

I love these boards, where you can go from drafting U18 players to Chomsky!

:thumbu:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Is the Hitler one any good? I'm also reading one called "The man who flew the Memphis Belle" by Robert Morgan (the pilot). I love any stories involving B-17s or WW2 in general actually.
Good book so far. It was written in the 1960's when the authors had access to eye witnesses, including some of the few survivors. The NYTimes called it 'engrossingly dramatic'. I don't know what book the movie is based on but they must have at least consulted this one.

It's my second book on Valkyrie, the first was written by one of the few survivors Philipp Von Boeselager. He supplied the explosives to Claus Von Stauffenberg. At one point he had been chosen to shoot Hitler but that plan was aborted. Book is called 'Valkyrie: The plot to Kill Hitler'.

I have read quite a few books on WWI and II. Best ones I find are the 'voices of' types that have first hand accounts by diary, letter or interview.

There is so much to learn I find, how many folks are aware that Hermann Goring had a brother Albert who saved Jews and dissidents during the war, similiar to Oskar Schindler. Hermann must have stuck his neck out more then once to shield what his brother was doing (from the book `The Warlord and the Renegade`).

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Patrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad