OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
No he was a two way player who liked going into traffic and liked to hit but a clean player (tho there is footage of him going for someone’s knees). Rules were different. He played the whole game and went end-to-end (and back) 20x a game. He was a very determined player. Relentless and unselfish. The whole team followed him. And he had a hard and accurate shot. Most people said he played like Rocket, but not just blue line in - he was a ferocious skater and backchecker. The old guys say he was better than Rocket. From what I’ve read he might have been the best Hab ever (compared to his own era) and Cyclone Taylor said he was the best player he’d ever seen (he said that in 1937) (Joliat thought he was better than Howe). He also won the fastest skating competition in 1927. He was voted best player of the first half century. He did it all.
I am going by the bios I`ve read which emphasized his superior speed, skill and as you said determination. That`s why I mentioned Lafleur. Morenz did play centre though and played in an era with smaller rosters so icetime for all was much higher. Believe rosters were around 11 or 12(?) during his career.

A quote from Toe Blake who was a rookie near the end of Morenz career..."He was an inspiration for all us, his skill was truly remarkable. Howie loved hockey and it was his whole life. He used to work and laugh wholeheartedly". (from The Montréal Canadiens : A Hockey Dynasty - Claude Mouton.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am going by the bios I`ve read which emphasized his superior speed, skill and as you said determination. That`s why I mentioned Lafleur. Morenz did play centre though and played in an era with smaller rosters so icetime for all was much higher. Believe rosters were around 11 or 12(?) during his career.

A quote from Toe Blake who was a rookie near the end of Morenz career..."He was an inspiration for all us, his skill was truly remarkable. Howie loved hockey and it was his whole life. He used to work and laugh wholeheartedly". (from The Montréal Canadiens : A Hockey Dynasty - Claude Mouton.

He was like Lafleur with his speed, shot, clutch play and skill but he was more - compared to his own era. Look at my post in the Dishing the Dirt thread.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Anyone read anything by Jerzy Kosiński? I have read 2 of his books, Being There and Cockpit. The latter is the most disturbing novel I have ever read. The main character is just evil. I had a hard time finishing it. He was accused of Plagiarism for Being There, the book was turned into a great movie with Peter Sellers's best performance in a film. I highly recommend the film. Kosiński played Trotsky in the film Reds. He committed suicide by ingesting alcohol and pills andwrapping his head in a plastic bag. His farewell note was: "I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity."
I read The Painted Bird a few years ago. The subject matter would be off-putting for some, but I enjoyed the book quite a bit. It's about a young boy wandering the country side in post WWII Eastern Europe and the cruelty that was inflicted upon him. He was accused of plagiarism for that one, too.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Any good?

Pretty good. He is British afterall and references alot of things that we may be unfamiliar with being in North America, but it is entertaining nonetheless. He doesn't go deep into to detail about his personal family life ( actually leaves that out completely), and doesn't cover his music career with Maiden in great detail, but he would need a much bigger book or a few of them to cover everything. Not the best musician autobiography I have read, but still entertaining. It was money well spent, but I am a huge Maiden fan so I may be biased.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Pretty good. He is British afterall and references alot of things that we may be unfamiliar with being in North America, but it is entertaining nonetheless. He doesn't go deep into to detail about his personal family life ( actually leaves that out completely), and doesn't cover his music career with Maiden in great detail, but he would need a much bigger book or a few of them to cover everything. Not the best musician autobiography I have read, but still entertaining. It was money well spent, but I am a huge Maiden fan so I may be biased.

That's an interesting question. Which is the best autobiography by a musician and also which is the best biography about a musician(s)?

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I read The Painted Bird a few years ago. The subject matter would be off-putting for some, but I enjoyed the book quite a bit. It's about a young boy wandering the country side in post WWII Eastern Europe and the cruelty that was inflicted upon him. He was accused of plagiarism for that one, too.

Cockpit was hard to read because of the main person (psychopath) and what he did but somehow I could not stop reading.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
That's an interesting question. Which is the best autobiography by a musician and also which is the best biography about a musician(s)?

One of the best I have read is Duff McKagans " Its So Easy and Other Lies." Another on the top of my list is "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart. His writing ability is just as intricate as his drumming.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I’m enjoying it. Especially his early life. Explains a lot. Very nice detail to it. I’d like to see an autobiography but he’s such a fibber I wonder if we’d get the real story.

I picked up lunch an hour ago and there is a Powells bookstore close by so I picked up the R. Plant book and I also picked up a biography of David Bowie, big fan. I even let my girlfriend paint me like the Aladdin Sane cover when I was really hammered.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This thread ain't dying, no way jose.

So, once upon a time I had this job where I worked 12 hour shifts and on most days, I had a lot of free time while working. I had my dearly beloved mini-kobo with about 400 books in it. Oh, I do my part and buy a lot of books for my library but in those days I went through 1 or 2 books per week, so all of those 400 books were, well, y'know. The stuff you can find on torrent sites, ooof, especially back then.

Anyway... nowadays I can't read at work, but I can listen to music on my phone or mp3 player. So there I was the other day while working, lamenting the old days when I read so much and right there and then the lightbulb went on. I had the most disgusting idea I've ever had in my entire reading life;

I could always listen to audio books

Now, I might come off as snobby, but I've always considered audiobooks to be, well, for those too lazy to read. To me, it's like using a wheelchair when you should be perfectly fine walking. Please don't take offense if audiobooks are your thing, you're already better than a majority of the population who are drunk on pityful mass marketed distractions (oh snobby again, sorry).

So I started downloading audiobooks from youtube. I'm a huge De Waal fan and hadn't bought his latest book yet. So I started off this new chapter in my reading life with Frans De Waal's Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are?

It's ****in weird. Hearing someone narrate a book.

I feel dirty and lazy.

But y'know, make hay while yaddi yaddi yadda

So there it is. I am now into audiobooks. May the book god have mercy upon me. Never thought I'd say this; audiobooks are a swell invention.

Oh and De Waal's book is good. A lot of old anectodes are in there from the previous books, but there's a lot of original content. A bigger difference between this one and the two previous ones, The Bonobo and the Atheist, and The Age of Empathy, which had a lot of similar content.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm a slow book reader. I'm still into Gladiator. I have so much other forms of entertainment to satisfy from streaming to stuff recorded on my TV plus the internet. It's a miracle I get to even read a line.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
This thread ain't dying, no way jose.

So, once upon a time I had this job where I worked 12 hour shifts and on most days, I had a lot of free time while working. I had my dearly beloved mini-kobo with about 400 books in it. Oh, I do my part and buy a lot of books for my library but in those days I went through 1 or 2 books per week, so all of those 400 books were, well, y'know. The stuff you can find on torrent sites, ooof, especially back then.

Anyway... nowadays I can't read at work, but I can listen to music on my phone or mp3 player. So there I was the other day while working, lamenting the old days when I read so much and right there and then the lightbulb went on. I had the most disgusting idea I've ever had in my entire reading life;

I could always listen to audio books

Now, I might come off as snobby, but I've always considered audiobooks to be, well, for those too lazy to read. To me, it's like using a wheelchair when you should be perfectly fine walking. Please don't take offense if audiobooks are your thing, you're already better than a majority of the population who are drunk on pityful mass marketed distractions (oh snobby again, sorry).

So I started downloading audiobooks from youtube. I'm a huge De Waal fan and hadn't bought his latest book yet. So I started off this new chapter in my reading life with Frans De Waal's Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are?

It's ****in weird. Hearing someone narrate a book.

I feel dirty and lazy.

But y'know, make hay while yaddi yaddi yadda

So there it is. I am now into audiobooks. May the book god have mercy upon me. Never thought I'd say this; audiobooks are a swell invention.

Oh and De Waal's book is good. A lot of old anectodes are in there from the previous books, but there's a lot of original content. A bigger difference between this one and the two previous ones, The Bonobo and the Atheist, and The Age of Empathy, which had a lot of similar content.

I got a free audio book from Google when I bought the Google Mini, I haven't listened to it yet. Don't know if I can get used to it? If I fall asleep when reading from a book or a tablet I usually can find where I was, what do you do if you fall asleep and the audio book keeps on narrating?

Sounds interesting, I have heard about the Bonobo book, sounds like something I'd like to read.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I got a free audio book from Google when I bought the Google Mini, I haven't listened to it yet. Don't know if I can get used to it? If I fall asleep when reading from a book or a tablet I usually can find where I was, what do you do if you fall asleep and the audio book keeps on narrating?

Sounds interesting, I have heard about the Bonobo book, sounds like something I'd like to read.

Well I only use ABs when working, but yeah, even at work, somebody comes up to me and I have to go back to where i was and sometimes I have to re-listen to a part of it to get back to where I was, especially since the audio file is 10+ hours long and just a milimeter on the progression bar represents around 10-15 minutes.

Although since it's scientific literature, i don't really mind.

As I mentioned before, I really like R. Sapolsky. A better writer than De Waal. Thing is, the latter's subjects are more engaging. Ethology is highly interesting. To me, anyway.

I really loved reading both Bonobos and Age of empathy. Read both books twice. I recommend all 3 to anyone interested in primatology, ethology and/or evolutionary biology.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Well I only use ABs when working, but yeah, even at work, somebody comes up to me and I have to go back to where i was and sometimes I have to re-listen to a part of it to get back to where I was, especially since the audio file is 10+ hours long and just a milimeter on the progression bar represents around 10-15 minutes.

Although since it's scientific literature, i don't really mind.

As I mentioned before, I really like R. Sapolsky. A better writer than De Waal. Thing is, the latter's subjects are more engaging. Ethology is highly interesting. To me, anyway.

I really loved reading both Bonobos and Age of empathy. Read both books twice. I recommend all 3 to anyone interested in primatology, ethology and/or evolutionary biology.

Thanks

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Oops wrong thread. Tried clicking retooling thread. Great post, I'm reading The Notebook. Great story and watching the movie after I read it

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'm fascinated by all things Kennedy, so I just finished 5 days in November, by Clint Hill. He was the secret service agent assigned to Jackie that day and is the agent you see hanging on to the presidential motorcade after the assassination. Fantastic book.
A book I enjoyed a few years ago was 'Brothers:The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years' by David Talbot. Alot of interesting stuff including about Nov 22, 1963 and the fallout.

Currently reading 'The Men Who Tried to Kill Hitler' by Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel. All about Valkyrie from the beginnings.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Anybody here is into French authors?

I'm not. Still there's this one guy, Michel Folco. Great writer. Read all his books.

If you are personally acquainted to French lawyers, you might've heard about him and his first book, Dieu et nous seuls pouvons, which many of them end-up reading in their college days. Not sure, but I think it might be part of the curriculum of some law teachers, especially law history, in Quebec.

Anyway, I used to meet a lot of lawyers in my IT days. This really hot babe of a lawyer suggested it to me a long time ago. It's a really great read, as are all of his other books, except the last one which is La jeunesse melancolique et tres desabusé d'Adolf Hitler.

The rest are must-read;

- Un Loup est un Loup
- En Avant comme Avant
- Même le Mal se Fait Bien

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
For a few minutes I furiously debated with myself if it would be wise to respond to your post.

What's next on your list? 50 shades of grey?
The book writer has an amazing novels and it helps you understand or read English perfectly well. And quit following me creep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad