GDT: The Free Agent Frenzy, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Jagr would be cool if we treated him like a pitcher and just put him out there every 5 games.

It's not a bad idea. Maybe he plays home games and away games within the division.
Any road trip out West, he stays home to keep him fresh/manage his minutes for the season.

It would obviously mean that his contract would be paying him half his true market value say $1.5m-$2m for one season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the people who wouldn’t take jagr for cheap- do you not know what injuries are? is this your first time watching hockey? do we really need to be taught that lesson again? contract permitting, always better to have too many than too few, especially when a top 6 player goes down and youre *****ing that we called up sestito to replace him. plus, more players=better competition. I want guys fighting for a spot, not handed one.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

If we could sign Jagr and ice this lineup, we'd be a force in the East... but unfortunatly, we'd have too many pieces to move to make that puzzle fit.

Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Jagr
Zubrus-Henrique-Ryder
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

* Waive Gionta and try and find a trade partner for Tedenby.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
the people who wouldn’t take jagr for cheap- do you not know what injuries are? is this your first time watching hockey? do we really need to be taught that lesson again? contract permitting, always better to have too many than too few, especially when a top 6 player goes down and youre *****ing that we called up sestito to replace him. plus, more players=better competition. I want guys fighting for a spot, not handed one.

The issue is, Jagr would NOT be fighting for a spot. He would definitely be given one, regardless of whether a better option was available.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I want Jagr. He's awesome and it would slot JJ down to fourth line centre. He'll produce more than JJ or Gionta.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
If we could sign Jagr and ice this lineup, we'd be a force in the East... but unfortunatly, we'd have too many pieces to move to make that puzzle fit.

Elias-Zajac-Jagr
Zubrus-Henrique-Ryder
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

I really like this. I like the idea of Ryder on the 2nd line though, I'm sure there would be adjustments.. Just having that depth is awesome.

Re-sign Zid short term or sign/trade for a OFD.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The issue is, Jagr would NOT be fighting for a spot. He would definitely be given one, regardless of whether a better option was available.

I disagree. I think he’d be used sparingly (not only for divisional games, that’s as ludicrous as it is awesome)…but I think he’d get 3rd line duties and play on the PP. if he wants in for 2.5ish, you do it. I don’t know how high the demand is for him now but it cant be that high..

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't think Jagr would be "stealing" anyone's job as a RW'er. We'd have 3 "locks" on the right side in Kovy, Jagr and Ryder. You can also make a case for Bernier as well. Kovy is our 1st option, we can rotate Jagr and Ryder from game to game (or when Jagr looks his age) and Bernier is a beast on our 4th line.

What it does is that it bumps everyone down a peg, giving us a real balanced and depth heavy lineup. On the other hand, we'd have to clear a couple of roster spots (Gionta + Tedenby) in order to make it work.

With that said, I'd rather invest in Zidlicky then Jagr cause we need some type of offence from our blueline more so then another forward.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't think Jagr would be "stealing" anyone's job as a RW'er. We'd have 3 "locks" on the right side in Kovy, Jagr and Ryder. You can also make a case for Bernier as well. Kovy is our 1st option, we can rotate Jagr and Ryder from game to game (or when Jagr looks his age) and Bernier is a beast on our 4th line.

What it does is that it bumps everyone down a peg, giving us a real balanced and depth heavy lineup. On the other hand, we'd have to clear a couple of roster spots (Gionta + Tedenby) in order to make it work.

With that said, I'd rather invest in Zidlicky then Jagr cause we need some type of offence from our blueline more so then another forward.

Agreed. I am much more satisfied with our forwards than I am with our defense.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Elias-Zajac-Jagr
Zubrus-Henrique-Ryder
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

I think somebody would take Gionta if he went on waivers although I wouldn't be shocked if he cleared. Realistically you could waive both Gio and Teddy and have them clear waivers to make this work. The only extra forward I see not passing through waivers is Josefson.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Is Jagr really an option for the Dev's right now? I figured we were done.

I think it's a BS rumor. We've already got a logjam up front. Just over $7M to sign Henrique and Josefson. I hope they combine for something like $3.5M against the cap. If you want to sign Zidlicky that will take you pretty close to the cap. I think Zidlicky would be a better use of money, but I would honestly rather not sign anyone than sign Jagr. He will probably ask for $3M+. I'd rather have that cap space as flexibility for the trade deadline.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I think it's a BS rumor. We've already got a logjam up front. Just over $7M to sign Henrique and Josefson. I hope they combine for something like $3.5M against the cap. If you want to sign Zidlicky that will take you pretty close to the cap. I think Zidlicky would be a better use of money, but I would honestly rather not sign anyone than sign Jagr. He will probably ask for $3M+. I'd rather have that cap space as flexibility for the trade deadline.

It would be risky but if Gionta and Tedenby clear waivers and we bury Olesz in the minors I think we could do it. The only other extra forward would be YaYo at that point...a center.

EDIT: We'd have to waive Olesz in that case too...but he could always start off in Albany. They do need forwards.

DevilChuk*

It would be risky but if Gionta and Tedenby clear waivers and we bury Olesz in the minors I think we could do it. The only other extra forward would be YaYo at that point...a center.

EDIT: We'd have to waive Olesz in that case too...but he could always start off in Albany. They do need forwards.

This past year carrying 8 defensemen is screwing with everyone lol

I think we'll carry 14 forwards and 7 defensemen.. so that's two healthy scratches.

With Jagr -> send two down
Without Jagr -> send one down

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it is all Shero knows how to do :laugh:

Yzerman too (Or king size mattress goalies) I can't believe they passed over Jones for Drouin. Their offense is fine, but the D sucks. I swear to god Steve Yzerman is the biggest flop of a GM that was an ex player in a long time. More than Nieuwendyk.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

At this point in his career, I don't think Jagr is worth risking three players on waivers. Especially considering that even if Olesz cleared, they would be paying him $1M to play in Albany.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 3m
Matt Corrente and Mark Flood both sign 1 year deals /two ways contracts with the Carolina Hurricanes. #TSN

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Another one bites the dust.

Corrente was an extreme sort off the board pick. What a waste of a pick really. We could've done so much better. But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad