The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
oh I love Duchene as a player, just not for a 21 year old Forsberg and a 19 year old fiala

Exactly.

And also what's to say that in a couple of years when his contract is up, that he doesn't sign here anyways. Everyone saw how much he loves this place.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This is a bit off topic from our current in-season discussion but I really hope that the ASG weekend gave a lot of players the chance to see this city from a new perspective. One of the reasons we feel the FA market is tough on us is that players just don't want to move to Nashville. If that has indeed been a barrier in the past then hopefully it has either been shattered or severely diminished.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Let's go get John Scott. The dude is a citizen of Smashville now

I'd give Nystrom and a conditional 6th for him. Seriously, the guy is better than Nystrom and cheaper. I truly believe Scott would be an amazing addition to our locker room after seeing how he handled himself this weekend and how much the fans love him.

It would be a great story.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Actually, Scott showed me something about slower players, specifically guys who have played defenseman and forward.

I'd love to have him. Mostly for sentiment

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
What if we go crazy and try to get Stamkos to sign here? Could he work on the wing with Joey or would that be wasting center talent? If he could get his game back together we'd have a really nice offensive core with Joey, Stamkos, Forsberg. Then we'd just need to get rid of Smiths and Wilsons contracts to fit him.....

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
What if we go crazy and try to get Stamkos to sign here? Could he work on the wing with Joey or would that be wasting center talent? If he could get his game back together we'd have a really nice offensive core with Joey, Stamkos, Forsberg. Then we'd just need to get rid of Smiths and Wilsons contracts to fit him.....

I'd love to see Stamkos on the team but make no mistake, he is going to get paid.

PAID.

Like, $9-10m a year or even more.

So I'm not really sure it's feasible. Johansen will need a new deal soon. Forsberg will be getting a pretty substantial raise. Frankly I'm not sure any team can really afford to pay a player that much over the next few years and still surround them with talent. The cap hasn't risen the way it was expected to when the Toews and Kane contracts were signed.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'd love to see Stamkos on the team but make no mistake, he is going to get paid.

PAID.

So I'm not really sure it's feasible. Johansen will need a new deal soon. Forsberg will be getting a pretty substantial raise. Frankly I'm not sure any team can really afford to pay a player that much over the next few years and still surround them with talent. The cap hasn't risen the way it was expected to when the Toews and Kane contracts were signed.

Exactly. Those two contracts are going to be hurting that team in the very near future.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015

PAID.

Well, if signing Stamkos and creating a core of Johansen, Stamkos, Forsberg it would probably mean we would have to get rid of 2 out of Neal, Smith and Wilson and replace them with ELC types of players. The question would be, what is better, a top 6 consisting of 3 great players 1 good player and 2 rotation players or a top 6 of 2 great players and 4 good players?

Rookie (1m) - Johansen (7m) - Neal (6m)
Forsberg (5m) - Stamkos (10m) - Rookie (1m)

Total: 30m

or

Wilson (4m) - Johansen (7m) - Neal (6m)
Forsberg (5m) - Ribeiro (4m) - Smith (4m)

Total: 30m

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Exactly. Those two contracts are going to be hurting that team in the very near future.

You have to think that it will and they have had to move some good players out each year but somehow they find players in there system to put up huge numbers.
Panarin 18g 29a for 47, Teravainen 9g 13a as there 3C. It seems to happen for them year end and year out. Other than FF9 we have not had that happen. But you have to think somehow some way the huge contracts will have to bring them down.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eventually it will catch up with them. They keep filling the roster with very good young players, but then when it comes contract time you have started to see them lose them. I don't care how good your scouting crew is, luck plays a part of it as well. They have been lucky enough that players have developed or they have found them at a rate faster than the contracts strip them away. Eventually you are going to miss on a couple of guys or they won't develop as quickly and you will find yourself in trouble. As low as they pick in the first round every year you gotta think eventually one or two of those aren't going to work out.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think we should be sellers. lose 2 of the next 3 and I think we will be out of the race. I don't see this team putting a streak together. too many areas that are inconsistent. I support trading smith. just to free up the money alone.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
As long as Scotty Bowman is alive, Chicago will remain good. That man is a genius. He may be a "consultant" but make no mistake he is definitely involved.

We need a new scouting group for sure. Too many misses over too long a period of time.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
i think we should be sellers. lose 2 of the next 3 and I think we will be out of the race. I don't see this team putting a streak together. too many areas that are inconsistent. I support trading smith. just to free up the money alone.

I could have sworn we just came off a 4 game win streak. Maybe I am imagining that. Games are running out, yes, but we are not in a terrible spot. (Last I checked #8 seed made the playoffs)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I could have sworn we just came off a 4 game win streak. Maybe I am imagining that. Games are running out, yes, but we are not in a terrible spot. (Last I checked #8 seed made the playoffs)

In fairness, that was against crappy Canadian teams.

Last time I checked though, we two points behind Colorado with two games in hand. This is far from over everyone.

56359401d25bffc5846ca8d3a243039e4b957a262f2dfbed1f9ad50420a199fb.jpg

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Not defending our team in any way, but I'd love to hear your explanation on how we can be out of the race? The answer is you can't.

We are still in the playoffs right now- we are not out of the race even if we lose 10-0 in the next 3 games.

People act like we are competing against LA, Dallas and Chicago for a playoff spot. We aren't- we are competing against teams like Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona, Vancouver, etc. Teams that are just as flawed, if not more so, than we are.......

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

This is actually pretty accurate. the team now has a .461 winning ratio and a point ratio of .538. To get to 90 points they will need 17 wins out of the last 30 to have a shot. If they lose 2 of the next 3 they will need 16 wins out of the last 27 or play .590 hockey. WHile mathematically possible the team has not met that level of success in an entire year over a 20 game stretch in regular season.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
This is actually pretty accurate. the team now has a .461 winning ratio and a point ratio of .538. To get to 90 points they will need 17 wins out of the last 30 to have a shot. If they lose 2 of the next 3 they will need 16 wins out of the last 27 or play .590 hockey. WHile mathematically possible the team has not met that level of success in an entire year over a 20 game stretch in regular season.

No- it is not accurate.

If you want to say "its going to be tough to make the playoffs" or even "I don't think we are going to make it"- I won't argue that at all- completely agree.

But saying that "we are going to be out of the race if we lose 2 of the next 3"- no, absolutely not true. It cannot even be debated.

Again, we are competing for that last playoff spot against teams that are just as flawed and have just as many problems as we have.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
No- it is not accurate.

If you want to say "its going to be tough to make the playoffs" or even "I don't think we are going to make it"- I won't argue that at all- completely agree.

But saying that "we are going to be out of the race if we lose 2 of the next 3"- no, absolutely not true. It cannot even be debated.

Again, we are competing for that last playoff spot against teams that are just as flawed and have just as many problems as we have.

Drw your remarks are purely emotional. The numbers I provided are accurate. With no roster changes you can not expect better results over time. But what you say is true as well not one team in the league is mathematically out of the playoffs yet but there are 7 teams with 47 points that would require divine intervention to make it in.

Yesterday the Preds Vegas odds of making the post season was over 50% with last nights loss they dropped to 41% add two more losses and it is in the 20% range. And yes the team could mathematically have a chance with two weeks to go there play since the ASG last year does not support it . Just as we have to admit theres still a chance you have to admit the possibilities diminish with every loss now. And 2 more of the next three may well make the decision as sellers at the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad