The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Not to mention we can hope for the continued cap growth. Gaustad will be replaced by Sissons. Fisher will be replaced by one of kamenev, jarnkrok, or Trenin. The second line C i think will be harder to replace from within. Unless Kamenev or Trenin come in and steal the show i think we'd be smart to find an acceptable 2 C for an extra year or two. Maybe ribeiro is still performing in two years and agrees to another year or two. Maybe we pick one up in free agency. One thing we can always do is if we sign Erikkson is trade one of Smith or Wilson in the offseason.... Especially if Vesey signs here.

As far as a jackman replacement. I'm not terribly concerned about that. Jackman may even still be serviceable in two years if not 5/6 dmen are pretty simple to find and cheap as well

Not with the CAD being an absolute **** show

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You also have to find replacements for said players coming off the books and as you know, salaries are not getting any cheaper and you are not factoring in Forsberg's raise. If Eriksson is asking for more than $6M in Boston, what is he going to ask for here?

You are correct right now if Poile adds cap he has to move some. I do not see any way Bettman can rescue a cap increase for next year and the following. It may remain flat for next season but the following year it is gonna take a drop. And even with some guys going to drop off in the next two year replacement for them is going to require cap. Forsberg gets a raise this summer, Johanson next summer and Neal the following summer. Going into Neals summer I expect the cap to be at 68 mil at best but there is a secenerio where it drops to 64. There are going to be pleanty of high dollar players out there looking for a home.

There are still those here that just blindly ignore this will be an issue. It is not as bad as Chicago, Philly, and a few others but Poile has cap challenges.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
This is one of my favorite cities in North America,†Duchene said of Nashville. “I love living in Denver, but to travel somewhere, anywhere I could go, it would be here. This is like a vacation for me. I really enjoy coming out here, and I love country music. I’m a country boy all the way through.â€

Duchene to Nashville E5

In all seriousness though, if he ever hits UFA, you have to think he'd at least consider Nashville as a potential destination

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I think the only way to Vesey is to guarantee him a spot as a Top 6 LW. He is probably good enough to fill that role suitably.

This leaves Fiala as the odd man out. Not suited to play bottom 6 minutes (Wilson shifts to 3rd Line LW) , we should package him and Smith for an upgrade at 2nd line RW.

Maybe like Smith, 2016 1st, Kevin Fiala for Jake Voracek, Mark Stone, or Phil Kessel

2016-2017 Nashville Predators

Vesey-Johansen-Neal
Forsberg-Ribeiro-Vorcek/Kessel/Stone
Wilson-Kamanev-Salomaki
Bourque-Fisher-Watson

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think the only way to Vesey is to guarantee him a spot as a Top 6 LW. He is probably good enough to fill that role suitably.

This leaves Fiala as the odd man out. Not suited to play bottom 6 minutes (Wilson shifts to 3rd Line LW) , we should package him and Smith for an upgrade at 2nd line RW.

Maybe like Smith, 2016 1st, Kevin Fiala for Jake Voracek, Mark Stone, or Phil Kessel

2016-2017 Nashville Predators

Vesey-Johansen-Neal
Forsberg-Ribeiro-Vorcek/Kessel/Stone
Wilson-Kamanev-Salomaki
Bourque-Fisher-Watson
1st-We'll be fortunate if Vesey is just capable of being a regular NHL player, dominating in college or not. A 1st liner would be a tremendous home run.

2nd-That deal is awful for Philly

3rd-Don't see a reasonable way we can afford Voracek and his $8.25M on top of Forsberg and Johansen getting increases.

Last edited:

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
1st-We'll be fortunate if Vesey is just capable of being a regular NHL player, dominating in college or not. A 1st liner would be a tremendous home run.

2nd-That deal is awful for Philly

3rd-Don't see a reasonable way we can afford Voracek and his $8.25M on top of Forsberg and Johansen getting increases.

Yeah and Voracek isnt a 2nd line RW, he'd be your 1RW, dont think you guys have enough to interest the Flyers for Voracek, Simmonds however could be done...

Simmonds + Lindblom for Fiala, 2016 1st, and rights to Vesey?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yeah and Voracek isnt a 2nd line RW, he'd be your 1RW, dont think you guys have enough to interest the Flyers for Voracek, Simmonds however could be done...

Simmonds + Lindblom for Fiala, 2016 1st, and rights to Vesey?

I think many Preds fans think Fiala has a good chance to be as productive as Simmonds eventually. Not sure I consider moving him in this deal regardless of additions on either side.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
I think many Preds fans think Fiala has a good chance to be as productive as Simmonds eventually. Not sure I consider moving him in this deal regardless of additions on either side.

If Nashville were contending it would be a good trade, its gonna take Fiala 3-4 years to be a stud player, which is 3-4 years lost in contending

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If Nashville were contending it would be a good trade, its gonna take Fiala 3-4 years to be a stud player, which is 3-4 years lost in contending

I don't see it. Simmonds doesn't help us get through Chicago/LA this season. That's a lot of prospect depth to sacrifice to maybe help us get through one round of the playoffs.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
I don't see it. Simmonds doesn't help us get through Chicago/LA this season. That's a lot of prospect depth to sacrifice to maybe help us get through one round of the playoffs.

Yeah i know, If they were a contending team you should pull the trigger on Fiala

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What players from the Flyers interest you?
Outside of the guys that won't get traded (Giroux, Voracek, Couts), Simmonds is basically it, but I would not trade a premium for him. Maybe a 1st, but then it would be a prospect not named Fiala, Saros, Kamenev, Vesey (unless we know he's not signing here), or else a lesser roster player.

Brayden Schenn for Vesey + 2016 2nd?
No interest in Schenn. He'd be another version of Wilson/Smith.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Looking long term I'm having a hard time seeing how we will be able to fit our current roster unless the max cap is inreased. Ive made some assumptions below with what our cap could look like given the inrease in salary of Johansen, Forsberg and Neal and if Fiala and Kamenev turns out to be the real deal aswell as finding a replacement for Ribs. I think its pretty fair to say that one of Smith and Wilson HAVE to go for it to work. Also keep in consideration that 7M for Johansen and 5M for Forsberg might be too low.

Forsberg Johansen Neal
5 7 6
Wilson #2 C Fiala
3,94 4 4
Smith Kamenev #3 RW
4,25 2,5 2
Bourque Salomaki Watson
1 1 1

#10 FW

Weber Josi
7,86 4
Ellis Ekholm
2,5 3,75
#5 D Granberg
1,5 1

#7 D

Rinne
Hutton

Total cap hit

Cap Max

Cap Space

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
You're forgetting some of these guys are on ELC's and will have to prove themselves to get any sort of raise to the numbers you're talking about. Fiala at $4 million? When is that going to happen? Kamenev at $2.5 million? Once again, when is that going to happen?

Here's the thing, you have to pay to keep talent and you give your best players, the core the money and you fill in the pieces via the system or free agency. Everyone freaked when Chicago traded Saad and Sharp this offseason. They looked at Teuravainen and knew they would be ok to some degree but took a huge leap of faith in Panarin and it paid off. Your scouts have to be great at what they do and know if a kids game will translate from any other league to the NHL's. They have their core and they are paid handsomely for it.

RyJo and Forsberg are the two up front we build around for the long term. I'd probably add Fiala to that mix if he shows he's up to the task. I'd love to keep Neal but he's on the other side of 20 already and while keeping him is important, depending on where he's at skill wise, he may or may not get a huge raise.

The one contract I worry about is when Josi becomes a free agent. Maybe he takes a home town discount like Duncan Keith did. Maybe he goes for the brass ring.

So many variables in things like this. The big thing is when Fiala and Kamenev are probably due big raises, Wilson and Smith will be coming off the books. The short term we're fine and honestly I think we're ok long term.

I'll give an example of how people get bent out of shape with salaries. Joey is due $6 million next year? He's going to get a raise and his cap hit is what, $4 million. Fisher's cap hit is $4.4 and Ribs is at $3.3. If Joey goes in to the $7 million range, which is think is realistic, his hit is already $4, add the $3.3 from Ribs and you're at $7.3 million. We still have Fisher's $4.4 to play with for either a #2 center or other pieces up front.

Gaustad comes off the books this summer at $3.25 and all of that will go to FF and then some. Thing is you replace Goose with either an ELC or a player under $1 million for the fourth line.

The trick with any salary cap situation is having guys coming off the books when players coming up through the system are due raises. We also have another $4.25 coming off the books in Nystrom and Jackman after next season. I think we'll be fine when all is said and done.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
You're forgetting some of these guys are on ELC's and will have to prove themselves to get any sort of raise to the numbers you're talking about. Fiala at $4 million? When is that going to happen? Kamenev at $2.5 million? Once again, when is that going to happen?

Here's the thing, you have to pay to keep talent and you give your best players, the core the money and you fill in the pieces via the system or free agency. Everyone freaked when Chicago traded Saad and Sharp this offseason. They looked at Teuravainen and knew they would be ok to some degree but took a huge leap of faith in Panarin and it paid off. Your scouts have to be great at what they do and know if a kids game will translate from any other league to the NHL's. They have their core and they are paid handsomely for it.

RyJo and Forsberg are the two up front we build around for the long term. I'd probably add Fiala to that mix if he shows he's up to the task. I'd love to keep Neal but he's on the other side of 20 already and while keeping him is important, depending on where he's at skill wise, he may or may not get a huge raise.

The one contract I worry about is when Josi becomes a free agent. Maybe he takes a home town discount like Duncan Keith did. Maybe he goes for the brass ring.

So many variables in things like this. The big thing is when Fiala and Kamenev are probably due big raises, Wilson and Smith will be coming off the books. The short term we're fine and honestly I think we're ok long term.

I'll give an example of how people get bent out of shape with salaries. Joey is due $6 million next year? He's going to get a raise and his cap hit is what, $4 million. Fisher's cap hit is $4.4 and Ribs is at $3.3. If Joey goes in to the $7 million range, which is think is realistic, his hit is already $4, add the $3.3 from Ribs and you're at $7.3 million. We still have Fisher's $4.4 to play with for either a #2 center or other pieces up front.

Gaustad comes off the books this summer at $3.25 and all of that will go to FF and then some. Thing is you replace Goose with either an ELC or a player under $1 million for the fourth line.

The trick with any salary cap situation is having guys coming off the books when players coming up through the system are due raises. We also have another $4.25 coming off the books in Nystrom and Jackman after next season. I think we'll be fine when all is said and done.

No, not really forgetting it but the thing is that if the names arent Fiala or Kamenev they are something else and having our #3 and #4 centers combined making 3,5 M and our #2 RW making 4 million isnt very unrealistic is it? You're also forgetting one thing, which is that our current roster isnt good enough which means that we have to add more skill which usually translates into more cap..

And yea, Josis contract will be a problem when he goes UFA but honestly so will Ellis the year before that. Chicago has the luxury of being the best team in the NHL why players may accept a salary decrease to stay there, sadly we dont have that luxury yet..

But you're ofcourse right about how to roll your assets cap wise and hopefully it will work. Hopefully Poiles excel-model to handle all that is coded in the right way..

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Glenn what you point out is true but the slots they play in is pretty accurate from a salary perspective. Wilson and Smith were signed at 4 mil to play 2nd line. For budgeting purposes this is what Pr0fet did. The names do not matter. Personally I do not think Fiala ever makes it to 2nd line but that wing spot is worth 4 mil. The 3rd line guys 2.5 to 3 mil.

Because Gaustad and Nystroms contracts drop off soon is not the saving grace as long as we have SMith and Wilson who are just as overpaid for the position they will fit on the roster. If you want to hold on to Smith and Wilson they are your 2nd line wings. And we look for 3rd line guys.

As much as everyone wants to rely on the farm to provide these ELC players that are capable of playing top 9 we are not there. Really not even close, Kamenev and Fiala are the closest there are. And that's a minimum of 2 years away. This tream does not get better unless Poile brings in 2nd line upgrades and Moves out Smith and Wilson for players that will align on the 3rd in terms of salary and talent. A team can not carry two 7 mil contracts and be saddled with contracts like Smith and Wilson who are not performing to there slot.

The cap is not going up in the foreseeable future, I think Poile sees this and is massaging how he is going to fill the needs and the roster players that are going to have to be moved to get this right. He has to find a 2c eventually and address the back-up. In a couple years Weber and Rinnes contract are going to impact this as well He will need a tender that can fill in for Pekka more and more and Weber in 4 years will be looking at retirement if he is still here. Poile can not sign players who are questionable to fill a position now. He does not have the flexability unless he keeps the reclamation player process going. He can also not rely on the farm to supply these guys that are needed now and have a competitive team.

We are a one line team right now. The other 9 forwards can be interchangeable talent wise.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Glenn what you point out is true but the slots they play in is pretty accurate from a salary perspective. Wilson and Smith were signed at 4 mil to play 2nd line. For budgeting purposes this is what Pr0fet did. The names do not matter. Personally I do not think Fiala ever makes it to 2nd line but that wing spot is worth 4 mil. The 3rd line guys 2.5 to 3 mil.

Then he is a bust and will never make it in the NHL. We might as well trade him yesterday if that is the case.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015

Because Gaustad and Nystroms contracts drop off soon is not the saving grace as long as we have SMith and Wilson who are just as overpaid for the position they will fit on the roster. If you want to hold on to Smith and Wilson they are your 2nd line wings. And we look for 3rd line guys.

As much as everyone wants to rely on the farm to provide these ELC players that are capable of playing top 9 we are not there. Really not even close, Kamenev and Fiala are the closest there are. And that's a minimum of 2 years away. This tream does not get better unless Poile brings in 2nd line upgrades and Moves out Smith and Wilson for players that will align on the 3rd in terms of salary and talent. A team can not carry two 7 mil contracts and be saddled with contracts like Smith and Wilson who are not performing to there slot.

The cap is not going up in the foreseeable future, I think Poile sees this and is massaging how he is going to fill the needs and the roster players that are going to have to be moved to get this right. He has to find a 2c eventually and address the back-up. In a couple years Weber and Rinnes contract are going to impact this as well He will need a tender that can fill in for Pekka more and more and Weber in 4 years will be looking at retirement if he is still here. Poile can not sign players who are questionable to fill a position now. He does not have the flexability unless he keeps the reclamation player process going. He can also not rely on the farm to supply these guys that are needed now and have a competitive team.

We are a one line team right now. The other 9 forwards can be interchangeable talent wise.

Exactly this. If i hadnt bothered to put Fialas and Kamenevs name there and instead #2 RW and #3 C there wouldnt have been any reactions of how the numbers were too high. The thing is that you should budget position wise and not name wise and if one position is above budget (#3 RW, G) you have to cut somewhere else, which is why I believe Smith really needs to go for this team to improve.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Then he is a bust and will never make it in the NHL. We might as well trade him yesterday if that is the case.

I did not say that you did. We need to see him another year in the AHL then bring him up for 20 games or so before hanging the bust on him. But right now hes as close to bust as he is a everyday NHL player. He has potential but is it NHL potential or AHL we have no idea.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I did not say that you did. We need to see him another year in the AHL then bring him up for 20 games or so before hanging the bust on him. But right now hes as close to bust as he is a everyday NHL player. He has potential but is it NHL potential or AHL we have no idea.

Can we at least wait until the kid has played a full season in the AHL before calling him a bust. Jeez.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Can we at least wait until the kid has played a full season in the AHL before calling him a bust. Jeez.

As usual you do not comprehend English. If you will reread Pred33's post he was the one that indicated he was a bust not me. Further read my post I supported giving the guy another year in the AHL minimum then 20 games in in the NHL before making any decision. But no you fail to read and make yourself look like an ass.

I have no idea what your personal vendetta is with me but in this instance your the one with egg on your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad