The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not to me. If Loui is indeed off and you can get something for him...you might as well listen and do your homework. Doesn't mean they'll actually move him though.

Homework...sure. But Loui is a big part of their top-6 could be huge in the playoffs. He just turns into a rental for the B's.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I would do wilson for Eriksson at this point. Wilson has a bad habit of getting injured and moving his contract would free up some space to resign eriksson potentially.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Eriksson also has a problem staying healthy, and producing consistently.

Last 4 seasons

2012-2013 STARS 48 12 17 29 -9
2013-2014 BRUINS 61 10 27 37 1
2014-2015 BRUINS 81 22 25 47
2015-2016 BRUINS 49 15 24 39
239 gp 152 p

Wilson's
2012-2013 PREDATORS 25 7 12 19
2013-2014 PREDATORS 81 11 22 33
2014-2015 PREDATORS 77 20 22 42
2015-2016 PREDATORS 36 4 12 16

219 gp 110 p

Eriksson has been slighty more healthy and scored at a slightly better range, but outside of this season, it's been close. He's also going to cost a great deal more and is 30 years old looking for a long term deal.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015

Last 4 seasons

239 gp 152 p

Wilson's

219 gp 110 p

Eriksson has been slighty more healthy and scored at a slightly better range, but outside of this season, it's been close. He's also going to cost a great deal more and is 30 years old looking for a long term deal.

Eriksson suffered 2 concussions in 2013. Im not sure that classifies as having health issues. After renovering from those he missed 1 game last year and has played them all this year.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Agree. Prospects and picks for rentals. You never 'should' give up quality roster players for one.

I still don't think Poile should go the rental route this season. I am not convinced the team is a single piece away from really challenging for the Cup.

While I agree theres little reason for a rental there is just no founding that the team is one player away from a deep run.

Right now this is a one line team. We have no combinations that that can make a threatening 2nd line. He can piece together a shutdown line for either 3rd or 4th but theres just no way to limit 2 lines shortening the bench and do anything playoff wise. Poile has got to eliminate the redundant bottom 6. I have my doubts he can bring hisself to do that. As bad as many despise Goose I fully expect Poile will sign the guy for another year maybe two.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Last 4 seasons

239 gp 152 p

Wilson's

219 gp 110 p

When you say slightly better, you mean significantly better right?

Eriksson .635
Wilson .502

That's not really a slight margin. Neither is 20 game difference in the number of games played. That's a fourth of a season. I understand that the 2012-2013 season was Wilson's best, cut short by injury, but even if you assume he would've kept that pace (36.5 points) and not missed a game, Wilson would be netting .525 points a game.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I don't think Poile would want to move Wilson for Erikson to begin with. If we move a roster player he'd probably be looking to trade smith+

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I think Vrbata would be a good addition. I think some may cost too much-Ladd, for example. Perfect 3rd liner for us Jets will want a first, or an almost-ready top-six prospect. Closest for a rental I would give is Aberg.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think Vrbata would be a good addition. I think some may cost too much-Ladd, for example. Perfect 3rd liner for us Jets will want a first, or an almost-ready top-six prospect. Closest for a rental I would give is Aberg.

Im with you on Vrbata I have like the guys game since he was on the line with Steminak in Phoenix. The bad thing though he has to have a playmaker with him but hes a heck of a sniper. Reminds me a lot of Sully. The Ladd thing will be a non starter IMO if we had a NHL ready prospect we would not need to be adding so I doubt they have interest.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
When you say slightly better, you mean significantly better right?

Eriksson .635
Wilson .502

That's not really a slight margin. Neither is 20 game difference in the number of games played. That's a fourth of a season. I understand that the 2012-2013 season was Wilson's best, cut short by injury, but even if you assume he would've kept that pace (36.5 points) and not missed a game, Wilson would be netting .525 points a game.
Now do the same math outside of this season, so the previous 3..
LE
190 gp
CW
183 gp
and now that same thing with the points.
LE p/pg 0.59
CW p/pg .51

.08 p/pg over a season is 6.56 points. So is 6.56 points worth 2-3M more a season?

I don't know, LE's defense is elite but his consistancy is that making the difference? What about the 4 year age gap?

LE is having a great start to the season, but let's see how he finishes, I'm guessing it's not going to be in the mid 60's like he's pacing now.

If you buy LE now, you're buying at his top value and selling CW at his lowest.......

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
Homework...sure. But Loui is a big part of their top-6 could be huge in the playoffs. He just turns into a rental for the B's.

I understand that. You listen...that doesn't mean you act. Everyone has a price, but I thought Polie should have entertained options for Suter as soon as he didn't sign and definitely after the All-Star break that year. Ultimately, that was a bit unrealistic given the direction/high hopes of the team that year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Last 4 seasons

239 gp 152 p

Wilson's

219 gp 110 p

Injuries in 1 season makes him have troubles with staying healthy?
And Eriksson is a 1st line winger, 20 minute winger with elite defense/possession, one of the best 2way wingers in the game, can you say the same for Wilson?

And Wilson is not something Sweeney would be after, it would be picks/prospects from Nashville.

You should also look at our best scorer last year had 55 points and Lou was the 2nd best producer as he has been this year also.

Last edited:

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

I've wanted Vrbata here for a while now. Wanted to sign him when he was a UFA and went to VAN. I'd like the pick up but I'm not sure what I want to give up. I'd like a one or two year deal with him too.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Now do the same math outside of this season, so the previous 3..
LE
190 gp
CW
183 gp
and now that same thing with the points.
LE p/pg 0.59
CW p/pg .51

.08 p/pg over a season is 6.56 points. So is 6.56 points worth 2-3M more a season?

I don't know, LE's defense is elite but his consistancy is that making the difference? What about the 4 year age gap?

LE is having a great start to the season, but let's see how he finishes, I'm guessing it's not going to be in the mid 60's like he's pacing now.

If you buy LE now, you're buying at his top value and selling CW at his lowest.......

So lemme get this straight, I am getting a better offensive player AND an elite defensive player and all I (in theory) have to give up is a career third liner who hasn't broken 50 points in his career?

Yeah, I'd make that trade and not even bat an eyelash. LE isn't at the peak of his value, he is UFA. If he was under contract, he would be worth more. Now, I doubt Boston does Wilson straight up, but I think moving Wilson isn't that bad of an idea. We've seen more of this year's Wilson than last year's Wilson. I just don't think he is going to be more than a 3rd liner on a competitive team.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So lemme get this straight, I am getting a better offensive player AND an elite defensive player and all I (in theory) have to give up is a career third liner who hasn't broken 50 points in his career?

Yeah, I'd make that trade and not even bat an eyelash. LE isn't at the peak of his value, he is UFA. If he was under contract, he would be worth more. Now, I doubt Boston does Wilson straight up, but I think moving Wilson isn't that bad of an idea. We've seen more of this year's Wilson than last year's Wilson. I just don't think he is going to be more than a 3rd liner on a competitive team.

Eriksson is a rental who we can't resign, if we resign him it has to be for 1 year otherwise we can't resign Johansen. Not worth it.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
The difficulty of a Wilson for Eriksson move is we have seen what Wilson is capable of, even though we're all frustrated with the inconsistency. He's a pretty good asset to give for a guy that equates to a rental, regardless of whether you think you can sign him or not. Not often you see a quality rostered player traded for a rental.

and for all the folks who say it'd be good to get out from under the contract, I'd like to remind everyone who GMDPs signings have been the last 3 off-seasons, whether FA or our own, and think about what you are going to have when he can't re-sign LE. To me, that's a big issue - whether it's Poile, or Nashville, or the club, or some combination of that, it has been difficult for us to sign FAs we pursue; they generally have to be folks that seek us out (PK, JA) or needing a last chance (Ribs).

In the end - do you think this team, the way it's playing today, is an LE away from a cup run? I don't, so I don't think you make that deal. Now, we come back, continue our little streak, and see a little more life from Smith and Flip, and see Ribs and Fish continue to pick it up a bit - then maybe, cause you're gonna' need most of that to make a run, even if you add LE.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Eriksson is a rental who we can't resign, if we resign him it has to be for 1 year otherwise we can't resign Johansen. Not worth it.

Ummm... why? You have Fish, Ribs, Nystrom and Jackman all coming off the books. If you can't figure out how to get Johansen and a couple more players under the cap we are screwed.

Playing devils advocate, here is what the team looks like that year with no one

Forwards
Neal
Smith
Wilson
Fiala
Kamenev
Trenin

Defense
Weber
Josi
Ekholm
Ellis

Goalie
Rinne
Saros

All of this amounts to... 35M and change in cap leaving us almost 36M left to play around with. Now, that isn't including Forsberg, that isn't including Johansen, but let's go ahead and add 5.5M for Forsberg and 7M for RyJo. That still leaves us 23M in cap space to fill a bottom pairing D man and six forwards. Average of 3M per player to fill out those positions.

Plenty of space to have Eriksson in there.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The difficulty of a Wilson for Eriksson move is we have seen what Wilson is capable of, even though we're all frustrated with the inconsistency. He's a pretty good asset to give for a guy that equates to a rental, regardless of whether you think you can sign him or not. Not often you see a quality rostered player traded for a rental.

and for all the folks who say it'd be good to get out from under the contract, I'd like to remind everyone who GMDPs signings have been the last 3 off-seasons, whether FA or our own, and think about what you are going to have when he can't re-sign LE. To me, that's a big issue - whether it's Poile, or Nashville, or the club, or some combination of that, it has been difficult for us to sign FAs we pursue; they generally have to be folks that seek us out (PK, JA) or needing a last chance (Ribs).

In the end - do you think this team, the way it's playing today, is an LE away from a cup run? I don't, so I don't think you make that deal. Now, we come back, continue our little streak, and see a little more life from Smith and Flip, and see Ribs and Fish continue to pick it up a bit - then maybe, cause you're gonna' need most of that to make a run, even if you add LE.

You are probably right, Wilson probably won't be moved (though I would argue he should be for cap interests). It will probably be for picks and prospects.

As someone who watches Boston on a regular basis (my favorite East team) Eriksson is exactly the kind of player we are pissing. Elite defensive talents for a forward and great guy around the net, the two qualities we are missing in our forward group. I think a lot of people on here are selling him short...

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ummm... why? You have Fish, Ribs, Nystrom and Jackman all coming off the books. If you can't figure out how to get Johansen and a couple more players under the cap we are screwed.

You also have to find replacements for said players coming off the books and as you know, salaries are not getting any cheaper and you are not factoring in Forsberg's raise. If Eriksson is asking for more than $6M in Boston, what is he going to ask for here?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
You also have to find replacements for said players coming off the books and as you know, salaries are not getting any cheaper and you are not factoring in Forsberg's raise. If Eriksson is asking for more than $6M in Boston, what is he going to ask for here?

What a player asks for and what they get are two different things. Because of the current uncertainity about the cap, I don't think Loui gets 6M. Somewhere between 5 and 6.

As you will note, I did account for Forsberg raise estimated 5.5M.

We still would have a ton of cap space to replace our bottom 6 forwards and one D man.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
What a player asks for and what they get are two different things. Because of the current uncertainity about the cap, I don't think Loui gets 6M. Somewhere between 5 and 6.

We still would have a ton of cap space to replace our bottom 6 forwards and one D man.

Asking too much would be the only reason why Boston would trade him. He is not going to lower his asking price just because he is traded and therefore I don't see Poile adding the needed cash to resign him. This makes this trade of wasted assets much like last year.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN

What if Loui gets $6M from another team, but not from the Predators? Now the Predators would have to fill a significant hole with not a lot of options.

If Poile trades a signed Wilson (+) for a signed Loui, I understand that risk. If a signed Wilson is traded for a pending-UFA Loui, then I personally feel the risk is too high.

But, I'm not in charge of making any trades. :)

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Fish, Ribs, Nystrom and Jackman. You have to think/feel/hope/expect that some of those are built in. Johansen replaces one of those two in the top 6. We just have to find another. Whether Jarnkrok grows into it, Kamenev is ready after next season,etc. Fisher moving down to the bottom six makes him more replaceable as Sissons/Watson those types are replacing him, same for Nystrom and Gaustad.

The only one of those that will take 2 million place to replace is going to be Jackman. And there are plenty od serviceable bottom pair dmen out there.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Fish, Ribs, Nystrom and Jackman. You have to think/feel/hope/expect that some of those are built in. Johansen replaces one of those two in the top 6. We just have to find another. Whether Jarnkrok grows into it, Kamenev is ready after next season,etc. Fisher moving down to the bottom six makes him more replaceable as Sissons/Watson those types are replacing him, same for Nystrom and Gaustad.

The only one of those that will take 2 million place to replace is going to be Jackman. And there are plenty od serviceable bottom pair dmen out there.

Not to mention we can hope for the continued cap growth. Gaustad will be replaced by Sissons. Fisher will be replaced by one of kamenev, jarnkrok, or Trenin. The second line C i think will be harder to replace from within. Unless Kamenev or Trenin come in and steal the show i think we'd be smart to find an acceptable 2 C for an extra year or two. Maybe ribeiro is still performing in two years and agrees to another year or two. Maybe we pick one up in free agency. One thing we can always do is if we sign Erikkson is trade one of Smith or Wilson in the offseason.... Especially if Vesey signs here.

As far as a jackman replacement. I'm not terribly concerned about that. Jackman may even still be serviceable in two years if not 5/6 dmen are pretty simple to find and cheap as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad