The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well now Eklund has put Clarksons name out there............ The good thing Clarkson is being put on IR so any deal announced soon would not include him but if time gos buy might want to get your throw up bags ready.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Where did you see that Eklhnd mentioned Clarkson? I went back & read all 7 pages of comments on the hockey buzz article & never saw him mention it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Where did you see that Eklhnd mentioned Clarkson? I went back & read all 7 pages of comments on the hockey buzz article & never saw him mention it.

is a big rumor involving the Predators and the Columbus Blue Jacket’s Ryan Johansen. Eklund at HockeyBuzz.com reported the following:

Predators “Seriously In†on Ryan Johansen. (e4)

Hearing a few names including a top flight defenseman and a veteran forward could be soon heading to Columbus for Ryan Johansen…..

There are still other teams casing Johansen…(many more than are currently chasing Drouin for what it is worth….) but the Preds look to be the most far along and they possess the best possible package.

Don’t at all be shocked if a veteran player with a big salary number is included by Columbus in this Johansen deal. There are some contracts to be moved by Columbus for sure…

more to come.

Ryan Johansen is certainly one of the players that Preds fans are excited about. He is only 23-years old and very talented. Over the past two seasons, he had 59 total goals and 134 points. He has been off a little this season with only six goals and 26 assists but that 26 pts would still put him in a tie for first among Predators forwards. He is definitely a number one center and would have a domino effect on the rest of the lineup for the Preds.

More from Predlines
Nashville Predators – All-Star Game 2016 Predictions1d ago
Nashville Predators: Jonathan Drouin a Fit?1d ago
Nashville Predators 16 Predictions for 20165d ago
Nashville Predators: Great Win, On to St. Louis6d ago
Nashville Predators Mike Fisher Back in Lineup1w ago

There have been a ton of discussions as to which defenseman the Predators would offer for an elite center. I tend to believe it would be Ryan Ellis or Matias Ekholm along with more. In this case, a “veteran forward†could very well be Colin Wilson who has been mentioned in trade possibilities.

As for a veteran player with a big salary number coming back, there are two players that fit that mold that the Blue Jackets would probably like to part with. They are right up against the cap with less than $2 million to play with. The two players are David Clarkson and Scott Hartnell. Both are over 30-years old and have salaries at or near $5 million per

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
is a big rumor involving the Predators and the Columbus Blue Jacket’s Ryan Johansen. Eklund at HockeyBuzz.com reported the following:

Predators “Seriously In” on Ryan Johansen. (e4)

Hearing a few names including a top flight defenseman and a veteran forward could be soon heading to Columbus for Ryan Johansen…..

There are still other teams casing Johansen…(many more than are currently chasing Drouin for what it is worth….) but the Preds look to be the most far along and they possess the best possible package.

Don’t at all be shocked if a veteran player with a big salary number is included by Columbus in this Johansen deal. There are some contracts to be moved by Columbus for sure…

more to come.

Ryan Johansen is certainly one of the players that Preds fans are excited about. He is only 23-years old and very talented. Over the past two seasons, he had 59 total goals and 134 points. He has been off a little this season with only six goals and 26 assists but that 26 pts would still put him in a tie for first among Predators forwards. He is definitely a number one center and would have a domino effect on the rest of the lineup for the Preds.

More from Predlines
Nashville Predators – All-Star Game 2016 Predictions1d ago
Nashville Predators: Jonathan Drouin a Fit?1d ago
Nashville Predators 16 Predictions for 20165d ago
Nashville Predators: Great Win, On to St. Louis6d ago
Nashville Predators Mike Fisher Back in Lineup1w ago

There have been a ton of discussions as to which defenseman the Predators would offer for an elite center. I tend to believe it would be Ryan Ellis or Matias Ekholm along with more. In this case, a “veteran forward” could very well be Colin Wilson who has been mentioned in trade possibilities.

As for a veteran player with a big salary number coming back, there are two players that fit that mold that the Blue Jackets would probably like to part with. They are right up against the cap with less than $2 million to play with. The two players are David Clarkson and Scott Hartnell. Both are over 30-years old and have salaries at or near $5 million per

Call me crazy but I would be totally ok with taking on Clarkson in the RyJo deal if its Ellis or Ekholm going the other way and we get to keep Jones

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Predators “Seriously In” on Ryan Johansen. (e4)

more to come.

Yes that's why we started speculating about Hartnell....because Clarkson would be so stupid that it wasn't worth wasting our time. Of course, Poile isn't above making a stupid trade so it's still concerning.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
That post starts by saying Eklund reported the following then quoting his story. Then at the end whoever re-posted the Eklund story says that the BJs only have two high paid vet forwards they'd want to move. That could be anyone posting that, but it clearly isn't Ek. In fact, Eklund hinted very, very strongly that it was Hartnell. Post the actual link...

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'll believe something actually happens here when it happens. I've seen too many instances where we thought we might be in on player a but ended up with player z. Tired of getting my hopes up that we will actually land a #1C.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Call me crazy but I would be totally ok with taking on Clarkson in the RyJo deal if its Ellis or Ekholm going the other way and we get to keep Jones

You do realize that Clarksons cap hit and contract would be as bad as Webers recapture only more drawn out. Right.

Not to mention you still have Jones and FF without a contract and Neal and Johanson needing one after next year right.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Seriously Poile should be banned from Bridgestone arena if Clarkson is involved. There are no words for that contract.

If that's the only way we can get Joey then I'd rather just go grab Nugent Hopkins.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The "that's not happening" quote from Poile is classic GM-speak. What he likely really meant is that a trade was not in the works when he was asked. He literally meant "that is not happening"... i.e. present tense. That doesn't mean that it won't possibly happen some time in the future. It allows him to be truthful about the present state of affairs while allowing the fans to believe that he meant more than he really did.

Every player has a price and any good GM would listen if that price were offered, and, especially, if an overpayment were offered. It makes absolutely no sense to close the door on the possibility of a trade occurring if your price is actually met. It makes absolute sense, however, to make it sound to your fanbase (the ones who buy the tickets and the jerseys) that you're not trading their beloved player. Thus, you get these word games where the GM picks his words to appease the fans while being able to say later on, after (and if) he makes the trade, that he didn't actually say anything that was technically untrue.

BTW, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Paul McCann mentioned the following item in his blog post this morning:

"- The rumor mill was cranking pretty heavy yesterday as I heard from multiple folks about trade discussions between Nashville and Columbus over the past 24 hours."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...ville---O-Consistency-Where-Art-Thou/24/73744

I'm sure that one of those folks was Eklund, since he works with him, after all, but the fact that he heard from "multiple" folks would seem to lead credence to the rumor.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You do realize that Clarksons cap hit and contract would be as bad as Webers recapture only more drawn out. Right.

Not to mention you still have Jones and FF without a contract and Neal and Johanson needing one after next year right.
I don't know if you mean "bad" as in sheer dollars or value of the deal, but

Clarkson has a cap hit of 5.25 mil for this season and 4 years after it.

Clarkson's salary:
15-16: 5.5
16-17: 7.0
17-18: 7.0
18-19: 4.75
19-20: 3.25

Weber's cap hits are $7,857,143 from now until 2022.

Weber's salary until 2020:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't know if you mean "bad" as in sheer dollars or value of the deal, but

Clarkson has a cap hit of 5.25 mil for this season and 4 years after it.

Clarkson's salary:
15-16: 5.5
16-17: 7.0
17-18: 7.0
18-19: 4.75
19-20: 3.25

Weber's cap hits are $7,857,143 from now until 2022.

Weber's salary until 2020:

Cap hits, actual salary and recapture penalty are all three different things.

If we were to trade Weber after his $12 million seasons, the recapture penalty would be $33 million split over how many seasons he had left on his deal at the time he retired. I think that's what he's eluding to more than anything. Moving Weber before July 1 would put us around a $24 million recapture penalty divided by the years remaining on his contract at the time he retired.

The only time to move or to have moved Weber was before his second bonus was due or after year 13 on his deal. Those recapture penalties would be in the $6 million dollar range. One year at that hit isn't great but it isn't awful and if we had moved him after the first year it would've been a little over $6 million split over the years remaining on his contract at the time of retirement which would've meant at worst case scenario around $6 million for one year or $3 million for 2 years etc.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada

With Nystrom Fisher Ribeiro gone then its not so bad. Also IF (big possibility) the the cap raises a few million. Sign Jones and FF to bridge deals that take you to the end of the Clarkson deal and its manageable.

I know that contract is beyond horrible but its still manageable. I think Ellis and Wilson/Smith (you should love this) are good prices to pay if we get to get RyJo and have to take on Clarkson.

I would be extremely surprised if its Clarkson and not Hartnell.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

We would never fit under the cap if we re-sign Forsberg and Jones while taking on clarksons contract with ryjo

1stLineCottonCandy

Apr 7, 2013
Chattanooga
It's kind of scary that everyone is hanging on the word of Eklund. The same guy that put on "E5" on us trading for Ovi a couple of years ago. I put an E10 on that he's full of ****

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
We would never fit under the cap if we re-sign Forsberg and Jones while taking on clarksons contract with ryjo

Well if its Hartnell or Clarkson we still need to clear some space. That's why I think if its Clarkson than Nystrom is going the other way.

But like I mentioned before, its most likely a Jones+Wilson deal for RyJo and Hartnell. It makes sense and it would fit under the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany