The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, I think Poile learned his lesson with the whole Forsberg thing. Luckily that didn't hurt us too bad but I don't see him making the same mistake with Staal.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I love Staal. He would be a great fit for this team. Great. Fit.

The problem is giving up so much for a short term asset when we have an organizational need both present and in the future. We need him locked in for 3-4 years, not just rest of season.

As an organization, I am not sure why we devote so many resources to rentals rather than longer term solutions. How many first round picks have we wasted on bit players? Ugh.

agreed.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I love Staal. He would be a great fit for this team. Great. Fit.

The problem is giving up so much for a short term asset when we have an organizational need both present and in the future. We need him locked in for 3-4 years, not just rest of season.

As an organization, I am not sure why we devote so many resources to rentals rather than longer term solutions. How many first round picks have we wasted on bit players? Ugh.

THe problem again is, production wise, he's no guarantee to out-produce Ribeiro. He's basically a 50-60 point player. Even worse, after digging around, I discovered that he's essentially been a LW rather than a C for nearly 3 years, and the instances in which he moved back to C his production disappeared.

I just don't think the payoff would justify the cost, and I think a lot of us overestimate the payoff and underestimate the cost.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't see this.

We have possibly the best defensive group in the league locked in. We have several top prospects. We have a stud young defender and forward.

This team doesn't need to go scorched earth.

It needs to make calculated moves to take it to the next level.

Neither of us indicated the need for a scorched earth at this point I merely pointed out that the team is on the same path. It will not happen this year but the window for Weber and Rinne we discussed before is still there. Particularly Rinne.

And for those who keep clammering about this backend being the best in the league I would point out the team is 15th in the league in GA and 23rd on the PK and other situational stats not much better. Now if you just refer to defensive scoring that's another thing.

The thing I think closer and I agree on is that the next two years are the best chance this roster would have to make some noise. After that There is no reason that will hold this group together. Poile started the rebuild brining in another coach they have attempted to keep the roster in tact and see how far Lavi could take it. And for the first half or lil better of last season it was real promising. The skid this team hit after the allstar break has really not been interrupted. Sure sure they have a good standing in points right now. But they game on the ice for the last two weeks or more has been pretty bad. It will take more than a few tweeks to get this team competitive with the central division leaders. There are no players in Milwaukee ready to step in and play in the top 6 and when it comes to the nut cutting that's where the problem is. And depending on potential has got them in this mess. Fish and Ribs could have potentially sufficed as the top centers for two years sign them. Smith and Wilson had limited success so sign them long term. Forsberg has that soph slump we all wondered about. Neal was hot as could be the first 10 games but has since cooled down and the backend scoring has slowed to an average pace. The one goal games Rinne was winning the first 10 or so games has stopped.

If the talent in the system is really good that is all part of any rebuild. What Buffalo did was move there corp out for younger prospects and picks. And did it pretty well landed all but a couple pieces they will need to get back to the playoffs as early as next season. Landed a generational player as well. Honestly we have little to none of that we have a lot of hopes about potential right now in the roster and on the farm. SO don't be too sure this will not happen here. It has never really happened in Nashville but it will it does in every market. Sure we had the Liarpold selloff but that was more about destructing a team rather than a rebuild. That happened afterward.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Trading for Staal doesn't do us any good, in my opinion. Unless we somehow win a cup (I don't think we win one with Staal), we're sitting here next October saying how badly we need a #1C, and this time we're minus whatever assets it took to get him.

Duchene, Nuge, Johansen...those are guys I can get behind.

FWIW, I'd be willing to at least gauge interest in Rinne around the league. We have a good enough D corps to win with a mediocre goalie. If someone is willing to pay something stupid for him (Calgary giving Bennett, for instance), I'm on board. Trade a mediocre piece for a mediocre goalie and see what happens.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Oh, you mean the one based on a comment by Larry Brooks (a known Tortorella hater and agitator) that turned out to be partially untrue based on Torts' and Joey's own comments later? That Joey wasn't keeping up because he's got energy issues (known to the organization for quite some time - since last offseason, even), not fitness issues? That got blown out of proportion because it follows the dramatic "Tortorella destroys teams" narrative and also fits in for all those folks who were so very, very disappointed that they couldn't poach Joey for cheap during the contract negotiation? That one?

Going by that degree of accuracy in reporting and information management, Shea Weber's going to the Flyers any day now. See previous statement re: ability to stay properly informed.

all I read was he was out of shape. energy issues? give him a snickers. it is an excuse.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Am I the only one that wants no part of Staal? He's been on a steady decline and is basically a good second line center at this point. For the assets he will cost, I would rather look elsewhere.

If he can be had as a cheap rental, fine...but not if it's going to cost a top prospect\high picks, and I DEFINITELY don't want to see him signed to a contract.

I don't have a problem with Staal. have a problem with the fact he is a wing now. And he reminds me of Mike Fisher when we got him. Still a good player, but on not elite. It is why I say a b prospect and a pic gets him, not a nhl roster player

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I heard he was hospitalized for tests because of his energy issues. Maybe Viqsi can clear up if that happened and/or what came of it.
He was in fact hospitalized last offseason, although we didn't find out about it until quite recently. Heart tests, primarily, but we haven't been privy to any results beyond "this wasn't a problem with his heart". JD had referred to it as "another curveball", and that's been taken to justify every conspiracy theory in the book and a few new inventive ones on the side.

There's a hell of a lot of unknowns, and a whole lot of folks jumping to conclusions because unknowns don't make for a satisfying narrative. And really, what is sports fandom beyond finding the satisfying narrative? ;)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Trading for Staal doesn't do us any good, in my opinion. Unless we somehow win a cup (I don't think we win one with Staal), we're sitting here next October saying how badly we need a #1C, and this time we're minus whatever assets it took to get him.

Duchene, Nuge, Johansen...those are guys I can get behind.

FWIW, I'd be willing to at least gauge interest in Rinne around the league. We have a good enough D corps to win with a mediocre goalie. If someone is willing to pay something stupid for him (Calgary giving Bennett, for instance), I'm on board. Trade a mediocre piece for a mediocre goalie and see what happens.

That's fair (regarding Staal). My point is, you could probably get Staal plus another top 6 for the same price as one of the guys you mentioned.

A rental Staal is not going to cost Jones and maybe not even Ellis. Any of the guys you mentioned will be Jones or a huge pool of players.

I can see the other point, I just feel like if we get the scoring touch we need this year, we are dangerous. The issue isn't the team isn't playing well, the issue is, none of our forwards are scoring. I am worried about Rinne beyond the next two years, which is when you think our window is.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's fair (regarding Staal). My point is, you could probably get Staal plus another top 6 for the same price as one of the guys you mentioned.

A rental Staal is not going to cost Jones and maybe not even Ellis. Any of the guys you mentioned will be Jones or a huge pool of players.

I can see the other point, I just feel like if we get the scoring touch we need this year, we are dangerous. The issue isn't the team isn't playing well, the issue is, none of our forwards are scoring. I am worried about Rinne beyond the next two years, which is when you think our window is.
All it takes is one team to grossly overpay for him and then suddenly yes it does. Not saying that will definitely happen, but don't underestimate the desperation/stupidity of some teams.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Just read that the Canadiens, Islanders and Flyers are talking to Edmonton about possible trade scenarios. :huh:

Hopefully we can jump in on that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad