The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
he's the wrong fit because as of right now, we are more than just an Eric Staal away from a stanley cup.

I'm not sacrificing Aberg, Arvidsson, Fiala, Salomaki, Kamenev, Trenin, etc...fora guy thats not going to be here after the season. I'd rather swap some of these assets for top notch 20 something year old guys. Johansen, RNH (for the right price), Duchene, Couture, Kuznetsov, Galchenyuk, Strome. You get my point.

And for God's sake if we're trading another 1st rounder it better be for a Johansen or Duchene...not Staal....AS A RENTAL.

Most of the guys you mentioned aren't even close to be considered on the trade block.. that's the problem. These guys rarely become available but when they do, they are going to cost you an arm and a leg.

If we are unprepared to separate with what it will take to get Staal, I don't think we are in a position to go after any of those guys either.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Most of the guys you mentioned aren't even close to be considered on the trade block.. that's the problem. These guys rarely become available but when they do, they are going to cost you an arm and a leg.

If we are unprepared to separate with what it will take to get Staal, I don't think we are in a position to go after any of those guys either.

We are not prepared to separate for Staal because after June we have nothing left but tons of holes in our team. Not because we are unwilling to trade the pieces.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

As for the bolded, if that's the case, you can pretty much summarize it with......"well, tough s***".

For the bottom part, that may be true but the risk seems a little more worth the reward if you're getting a young guy in his 20s in return.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
If it sets us back 5-6 years, we are not nearly as deep as we think. I can certainly understand the hesitation for a guy like Staal, but I just don't see it myself. It's one of those situations where I don't think the cost will be nearly as much as people are thinking it will be knowing that he is only a rental.

I also just don't see Nuge as the answer for this team and would be very unhappy if we traded Jones for him. If we trade Jones, I want Draisaitl if we have to trade with Edmonton.

I'm just unsure about anyone's willingness to move a young center. The Seguin deal should serve as a warning to everyone.

All my take of trading Jones for LD in the past doesn't seem so bad now does it.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
We are not prepared to separate for Staal because after June we have nothing left but tons of holes in our team. Not because we are unwilling to trade the pieces.

Thank you!

And let's be clear, just because a deal is made doesn't mean that the team has to make it public someone is on the block. If an interested team comes along and offers the right proposal, a deal is made.

As far as everyone I mentioned, RNH, Johansen, Duchene, hell even Giroux and Malkin have been rumored to be potential movers. You have to give up alot to get one of these guys....and I'm willing to do that...for the now and the future...and for one of THESE GUYS...not Eric Staal, which like mentioned will cause holes in the pipeline and roster after the season

Last edited:

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Also....wtf?

Stan Fischler of The Hockey News: Sidney Crosby remains untouchable in Pittsburgh. Evgeni Malkin is more likely to be their best trade chip.
The deal I can see — Malkin to Carolina for Eric Staal.

More on mynhltraderumors.com about Staal to NSH...nothing more than just saying we'd be a good fit. More of the same.

more....

Scouting the Leafs – Oilers …

David Pagnotta: 16 teams watching the Maple Leafs – Oilers last night: Blackhawks, Sabres, Stars, Hurricanes, Senators, Bruins, Coyotes, Avalanche, Blues (2), Jets, Devils, Rangers, Predators, Kings, Canucks and Blue Jackets.

On the Avalanche …

Adrian Dater: Nathan MacKinnon is the only untouchable: “Sakic said as much to me”

Last edited:

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I hope we are done with adding aged pieces at the deadline and it not getting us anywhere. We need a center who will be here for years to come.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville Needs help up front.
Edmonton on the back side.
Philadelphia on left wing.

Therefore,

To Edmonton:
Roman Josi

To Nashville:
RNH
Darnell Nurse
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Kevin Fiala
EDM 2017 1st

Would give us three "scoring lines"

Forsberg-RNH-Neal
Wilson-Ribeiro-Simmonds
Salomaki-Fisher-Smith

If we believe what we always say about Jones to every Edmonton fan we do not need to move him. Weber is here for life.
RNH is struggling but the comparison earlier about being worst #1 overall since Stefan, get real. I paid attention to him last season, he is good on both ends of the ice. PL has a history with young Centers see Staal and Giroux.

It is not easy moving Josi, one of the best, but someone has got to go. I believe a Jones-Nurse pairing is a future cup winning pairing. They are perfect for each other.
Ignoring that we are trading our most dynamic player for a soft, lower-tier #1C, and also overpaying for Simmonds in a down year, this adds nearly $6M to the cap heading in to an off-season where we'll have to give sizable raises to Forsberg and Jones. I'm sure Byrddog may have some comments on that point.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Not true Ekholm is safe with me! Lol

I am just one of many who realizes we will not win anything with this forward group.

I don't think we've agreed on some proposals in the past, but let me agree with you here. Until we get stronger down the middle and move on past one of Smith or Wilson (preferrably Wilson ) and drop a couple of bottom 6ers to make room for the kids to actually play (Salomaki, Arvidsson, Moses, Fiala, Aberg) were stuck in the same spot. Barely missing the playoffs or out in the 1st round.

We have to move one defenseman to better our forwards. End of story.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Ignoring that we are trading our most dynamic player for a soft, lower-tier #1C, and also overpaying for Simmonds in a down year, this adds nearly $6M to the cap heading in to an off-season where we'll have to give sizable raises to Forsberg and Jones. I'm sure Byrddog may have some comments on that point.

RNH is good and I would like to see what PL could do with him.
Simmonds is the type player we need who will go to the tough areas.
Powerplay with Simmonds in front of net with RNH on the wall and Forsberg in the slot would be scary.

Adding RNH and Simmonds adds $5.975 million

$49,543,809 Salary against cap next year per hockeybuzz (this is with Josi off the books)

Total with RNH + Simmonds= $59,518,809

That is less than where we set today.

RFA next year- Hodgson, Forsberg, Bourque, Salomaki, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Jones, Bitetto, Granberg

UFA next year- Gaustad, Bartley, Hutton

If cap does not go up any that leaves us with $11,881,191 to sign players the biggest of which will be Jones and Forsberg.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't think we've agreed on some proposals in the past, but let me agree with you here. Until we get stronger down the middle and move on past one of Smith or Wilson (preferrably Wilson ) and drop a couple of bottom 6ers to make room for the kids to actually play (Salomaki, Arvidsson, Moses, Fiala, Aberg) were stuck in the same spot. Barely missing the playoffs or out in the 1st round.

We have to move one defenseman to better our forwards. End of story.

Or you know, just stop signing mediocre guys every summer just to say you signed someone.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Or you know, just stop signing mediocre guys every summer just to say you signed someone.

Not signing mediocre players does not address the problem we have up front. I agree we need to quit doing that especially that summer we got Nystrom and the rest.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I just don't think that is true. You will create more holes by trading for one of those younger guys under contract because they are going to cost more than a rental Staal. We have a ton of NHL ready prospects, we can afford to lose a couple and the majority of them aren't going to get you one of the guys you all want in a package.

I am with you all in that I want a young first line center. Believe me, I am, but I am not sure we have the pieces to get it done and I don't think Poile is going to be willing to move the pieces that need to be moved in order to do it. I also don't think RNH is the answer to our center problems and certainly not for Jones.

Ultimately, we are going to have to just wait and see what Poile decides to do. I am just very worried about Rinne regressing more and not having an elite netminder anymore. If we can get Staal + random top 6 rental for the same cost of a Duchene, I would probably roll the dice and take my chances this year. As many have pointed out, we are 2-3 pieces away from being a contender.

Again, I can see both points, I just think we would be silly to dismiss Staal as not a viable option. Who knows? He may love Nashville and want to stay. There are also conditions you can put on trades as contingencies to ensure you get some value back if a player doesn't re-up with his new team. There are ways.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I just don't think that is true. You will create more holes by trading for one of those younger guys under contract because they are going to cost more than a rental Staal. We have a ton of NHL ready prospects, we can afford to lose a couple and the majority of them aren't going to get you one of the guys you all want in a package.

I am with you all in that I want a young first line center. Believe me, I am, but I am not sure we have the pieces to get it done and I don't think Poile is going to be willing to move the pieces that need to be moved in order to do it. I also don't think RNH is the answer to our center problems and certainly not for Jones.

Ultimately, we are going to have to just wait and see what Poile decides to do. I am just very worried about Rinne regressing more and not having an elite netminder anymore. If we can get Staal + random top 6 rental for the same cost of a Duchene, I would probably roll the dice and take my chances this year. As many have pointed out, we are 2-3 pieces away from being a contender.

Again, I can see both points, I just think we would be silly to dismiss Staal as not a viable option. Who knows? He may love Nashville and want to stay. There are also conditions you can put on trades as contingencies to ensure you get some value back if a player doesn't re-up with his new team. There are ways.

I see your point, but I think this is one of those times I'm gonna have to agree to disagree.

If we're 2-3 pieces away from seriously being a stanley cup finals contender...like actually in the finals, why would we trade for a rental this year? That leaves us losing what we gave up and then we have to fill the hole that Staal PLUS whoever we give up leaves.

It makes more sense to me to trade a d-man (most likely Jones or Ellis) with one of the young wingers we have an abundance of and add pieces depending on who the return is. But IMO it has to be a guy in his 20s that we will have for the future as well.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Josi would be absolute last D guy I would put on the market, he has a very good contract and IMO has passed Weber as our best defenseman. To the cap FF9 has not helped hisself to demand a huge contract now but make no mistake the kid is going to get 5 mil either way. Jones is well really in the same position as pre season he has done nothing amazing to require more but he has not done anything to think his hit would be any less than what Hamilton got last off season. Many here consider him top pair ready now or at least that's how they have come off over on the main board. SO if Poile does sign Jones on the low end at 5 mil per with room for Forsberg he can not add a Staal or Malkin contract even subtracting Ellis. There has been nothing to indicate any upward movement in the cap next year yet and the Loonie is still at .75 and projected to fall to .71 in the 1st quarter of 2016 according to Goldman Sach's. If that is the case without concessions by the players in the escrow the cap will be at 67 mil at .71 CAD vs USD for next season.

We can hope and wish for many things to improve the team, but to be honest the contracts that will hold Poile back are the ones with the NTC (Nystrom) included and the Riberio contract have tied his hands somewhat. If he makes a move he may in fact have no choice other than to move Jones and then tie Wilson or Smith in. This is making the assumption that he can find a team willing to take one of those contracts. Now if by some miracle the cap can be increased to say 74 or 75 mil he would have some options but I not holding my breath. Last year at the GM meeting in Dec is when Bettman put out his guidance on the cap for this year. So we can expect that timeframe again. Keep inj mind that Bettman said last year that the Loonie had to be at .80 for the cap to increase to 71 mil. It did not and he went to the players from the increase in escrow to allow that to happen. The last article I saw the NHLPA was not too excited about doing this again.

So what does Poile do? Two options he waits until Bettman supplies guidance and makes smaller moves or Hey jumps in feet first Moves Jones and some salary out. Last year when I was digging into this I pointed out that in two years when Fish and Riberios contracts were up there was no plan for replacement and a number of people said that's down the road we will deal with it then. Well looks like most want to deal with it now. Funny how a two months a poor play on the ice changes opinion. Bottom line Poile is not positioned to bring in 1 or 2 C contracts and still get at least one more top 6 wing right now.

The team will rebound from this poor production but it will not be close to what we wish to see. Honestly and Mike can confirm this is the exact path Buffalo was on before going scortched earth and rebuilding. Sheding Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Roy, Meyers and other pieces

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Honestly and Mike can confirm this is the exact path Buffalo was on before going scortched earth and rebuilding. Sheding Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Roy, Meyers and other pieces

I don't agree with you often, Byrd but this piece right here is what I've been thinking, just haven't said it out loud. Don't wanna go ff the deep end, but we're trending in that direction.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I don't agree with you often, Byrd but this piece right here is what I've been thinking, just haven't said it out loud. Don't wanna go ff the deep end, but we're trending in that direction.

I don't see this.

We have possibly the best defensive group in the league locked in. We have several top prospects. We have a stud young defender and forward.

This team doesn't need to go scorched earth.

It needs to make calculated moves to take it to the next level.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't see this.

We have possibly the best defensive group in the league locked in. We have several top prospects. We have a stud young defender and forward.

It needs to make calculated moves to take it to the next level.
Agreed. We're one or 2 pieces away, not 22.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't see this.

It needs to make calculated, bold moves to take it to the next level.

Fixed.

I also don't buy the whole rebuild. We are two good forwards (one being a center) away from being able to compete with the big boys of the NHL. Sports' windows of opportunity are a cyclical thing. The dynasties that the Avs and Devils had in the late 90s and early 2000s are good examples. Right now, our window is open, but we have to act quickly in order to get it to work with Rinne and Weber.

I may be in the minority, but I am willing to sell the future in order to win now. Winning a cup is everything and I think our roster is as close as it has ever been.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Fixed.

I also don't buy the whole rebuild. We are two good forwards (one being a center) away from being able to compete with the big boys of the NHL.

Sports' windows of opportunity are a cyclical thing. The dynasties that the Avs and Devils had in the late 90s and early 2000s are good examples. Right now, our window is open, but we have to act quickly in order to get it to work with Rinne and Weber.

Staal is not a bold move though. It is a panic ahhhhh *#$#@$@# I need to get a player like this, but this is all that I can get, but I will have to overpay move that limits our window to 1 year not a couple or three years.

I get wanting to win now, but set yourself up for at least a 2 or 3 year window, do not limit it to 1.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I love Staal. He would be a great fit for this team. Great. Fit.

The problem is giving up so much for a short term asset when we have an organizational need both present and in the future. We need him locked in for 3-4 years, not just rest of season.

As an organization, I am not sure why we devote so many resources to rentals rather than longer term solutions. How many first round picks have we wasted on bit players? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad