The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Yep, this week is gonna decide whether David Poile will pick up the phone and make a nice little call to Ron Francis and they'll settle the deal and on 8th of December the first line of the Nashville Predators will be led by Eric Staal.

Hot take right here.

I dunno if I think it will happen that quickly, but I do think the Preds make a sizable trade before the All Star game.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yep, this week is gonna decide whether David Poile will pick up the phone and make a nice little call to Ron Francis and they'll settle the deal and on 8th of December the first line of the Nashville Predators will be led by Eric Staal.

While I think that Poile has to make a bold move I question if another 31 year old stop gap who started his decline in production in 2013-14. To think he can return to 70 points per season is a stretch. Unless somehow he is convinced one of the guys in the system will be capable to replace Staal in two to three years. He can not rely on this IMO. If he is going to make a splash he must land someone younger, ideally 24 to 26 year old range. It will cost Jones, Fiala a 1st and perhaps more to do this. I could see one exception to this if he could work out a deal for Geno but even this has its issues. Malkin's last season he did not miss significant time to injury was 09 unless you consider the 75 games in 2012.

Poile has to make some kind of move and it may well surprise us all who he targets. There are enough holes and concerns to make it impossible to tell the direction he will go. It has not been a surprise to me that this team has had the recent failures and they will rebound for a while at some point this season, that however does not indicate this is more than a bubble team this year. One player added will not likely make the difference either. There are just to many areas where the team is failing now. Marginal improvement's will not be enough to take the team where we want it to go.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

IMO Staal is not the right guy and would be a massive mistake for this organization. Maybe worse of a mistake than Del Zotto for Klein. The kind of assets that would be required to trade for him + the fact that he is too committed to Carolina and would likely jump ship this offseason to go right back, they would be making out like bank robbers.

While I think that Poile has to make a bold move I question if another 31 year old stop gap who started his decline in production in 2013-14. To think he can return to 70 points per season is a stretch. Unless somehow he is convinced one of the guys in the system will be capable to replace Staal in two to three years. He can not rely on this IMO. If he is going to make a splash he must land someone younger, ideally 24 to 26 year old range. It will cost Jones, Fiala a 1st and perhaps more to do this. I could see one exception to this if he could work out a deal for Geno but even this has its issues. Malkin's last season he did not miss significant time to injury was 09 unless you consider the 75 games in 2012.

Poile has to make some kind of move and it may well surprise us all who he targets. There are enough holes and concerns to make it impossible to tell the direction he will go. It has not been a surprise to me that this team has had the recent failures and they will rebound for a while at some point this season, that however does not indicate this is more than a bubble team this year. One player added will not likely make the difference either. There are just to many areas where the team is failing now. Marginal improvement's will not be enough to take the team where we want it to go.

Not to argue with you here, but we really do not know this. Yes basically every player on this team is failing right now, but 1 player coming in may be all this group needs as a wake up call. This group did it last year, they just don't suddenly forget to how to play. I will say though, I have given up on Wilson and I am ready to trade him for anything now before his value falls too far.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
IMO Staal is not the right guy and would be a massive mistake for this organization. Maybe worse of a mistake than Del Zotto for Klein. The kind of assets that would be required to trade for him + the fact that he is too committed to Carolina and would likely jump ship this offseason to go right back, they would be making out like bank robbers.

Not to argue with you here, but we really do not know this. Yes basically every player on this team is failing right now, but 1 player coming in may be all this group needs as a wake up call. This group did it last year, they just don't suddenly forget to how to play. I will say though, I have given up on Wilson and I am ready to trade him for anything now before his value falls too far.

I think that depends on what we would give up in the deal and how far the team goes in the playoffs. If we have to give up Fiala and we lose in the first round, of course I would be really upset. If we give up Fiala and lose in the Stanley Cup final or the WCF, I am probably ok with it. Win the Stanley cup and obviously I wouldn't give a flying crap what we gave up.

It's all risk and reward. You have to give a pound of flesh in order to get something.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I hear you all, but Staal is the only #1C we can get without giving up Jones. Poile will not give up Jones.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think that depends on what we would give up in the deal and how far the team goes in the playoffs. If we have to give up Fiala and we lose in the first round, of course I would be really upset. If we give up Fiala and lose in the Stanley Cup final or the WCF, I am probably ok with it. Win the Stanley cup and obviously I wouldn't give a flying crap what we gave up.

It's all risk and reward. You have to give a pound of flesh in order to get something.

Which I am ok with, just not for a one year all in and done thing. I am will not even be happy if we make it all the way if he leaves. Trading for Staal gives us 1 shot and that is it. Next year this team will be worse off than this year due to the lost assets.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Poile has great patience. I think that's both his strength and weakness honestly. You want your GM to be more patient than the hard core fans, we're mighty quick to judge and tend to be fickle. A good GM needs to be more patient than the fans and has to take a much bigger view of the situation.

He isn't the type of guy that will let a 5 game stretch of poor play dictate a move (whether it should or not). Not when he honestly believed the main pieces are in place. Whether they really are or not, I believe he thought/thinks they are. My guess is that if the team turns around and reels off two or three wins now Poile will do nothing until the deadline. Now if this horrible play goes on another 5 games or more, then I expect to see him make a deal.

Personally, the last thing I want to see is us trading off long term assets for short term over 30 rentals like Staal. The only reason you would make that type of move if you thought you honestly had a 75% chance of signing a guy longer term. Or if you honestly think that one guy is the final piece that gives you a true chance to win the cup.
We are still at least 2-3 forwards away from being a true threat. One short term guy isn't going to change that, it just might make fans feel better for the next few weeks.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Poile has great patience. I think that's both his strength and weakness honestly. You want your GM to be more patient than the hard core fans, we're mighty quick to judge and tend to be fickle. A good GM needs to be more patient than the fans and has to take a much bigger view of the situation.

He isn't the type of guy that will let a 5 game stretch of poor play dictate a move (whether it should or not). Not when he honestly believed the main pieces are in place. Whether they really are or not, I believe he thought/thinks they are. My guess is that if the team turns around and reels off two or three wins now Poile will do nothing until the deadline. Now if this horrible play goes on another 5 games or more, then I expect to see him make a deal.

Personally, the last thing I want to see is us trading off long term assets for short term over 30 rentals like Staal. The only reason you would make that type of move if you thought you honestly had a 75% chance of signing a guy longer term. Or if you honestly think that one guy is the final piece that gives you a true chance to win the cup.
We are still at least 2-3 forwards away from being a true threat. One short term guy isn't going to change that, it just might make fans feel better for the next few weeks.

Agree with the bold, but disagree about Staal. If we are able to get him for a bit less than normal (knowing that he won't re-up with us) I think it may be worth it to explore it. I'd be willing to trade a lot to finally get a banner in our arena.

Agree about 2-3 forwards though. Ideally, Wilson and Fisher are on the third line.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Agree with the bold, but disagree about Staal. If we are able to get him for a bit less than normal (knowing that he won't re-up with us) I think it may be worth it to explore it. I'd be willing to trade a lot to finally get a banner in our arena.

Agree about 2-3 forwards though. Ideally, Wilson and Fisher are on the third line.
This would likely set us back quite a bit. If Staal had at least another year on his deal I would say go for it, but not being a UFA now. I do not want just one bullet in the barrel. Assuming we make the playoffs, we only have a 6.25% chance (1/16) at even winning it. That is not LV odds, that is just simple math. Any team can get hot and knock you out in any round. Look at the Wild, they have knocked off the central champs the last two years and floundered the next round vs Chicago.

I will not sell the next 5 years for a 6% chance.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
This would likely set us back quite a bit. If Staal had at least another year on his deal I would say go for it, but not being a UFA now. I do not want just one bullet in the barrel. Assuming we make the playoffs, we only have a 6.25% chance (1/16) at even winning it. That is not LV odds, that is just simple math. Any team can get hot and knock you out in any round. Look at the Wild, they have knocked off the central champs the last two years and floundered the next round vs Chicago.

tumblr_lxtpjrJYz81qeo73ro1_500.gif

Don't disagree, but if we are able to secure Staal and another top 6 forward this year I don't dislike our chances.

The real question is do you believe Rinne's regression this year is a slump or a sign he is slowing down. If the later, I think we should consider it.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

WORD

If we were one center away from contending and had only one year away from losing Weber, Josi, Rinne, Neal etc then sure go for a rental. This is not that time.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Am I the only one that wants no part of Staal? He's been on a steady decline and is basically a good second line center at this point. For the assets he will cost, I would rather look elsewhere.

If he can be had as a cheap rental, fine...but not if it's going to cost a top prospect\high picks, and I DEFINITELY don't want to see him signed to a contract.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Don't disagree, but if we are able to secure Staal and another top 6 forward this year I don't dislike our chances.

The real question is do you believe Rinne's regression this year is a slump or a sign he is slowing down. If the later, I think we should consider it.

IMO it is the goalie coach. The decline really started about half a season after losing Korn and has just been getting steadily worse.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Am I the only one that wants no part of Staal? He's been on a steady decline and is basically a good second line center at this point. For the assets he will cost, I would rather look elsewhere.

If he can be had as a cheap rental, fine...but not if it's going to cost a top prospect\high picks, and I DEFINITELY don't want to see him signed to a contract.
I'm totally with you.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Nashville Needs help up front.
Edmonton on the back side.
Philadelphia on left wing.

Therefore,

To Edmonton:
Roman Josi

To Nashville:
RNH
Darnell Nurse
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Kevin Fiala
EDM 2017 1st

Would give us three "scoring lines"

Forsberg-RNH-Neal
Wilson-Ribeiro-Simmonds
Salomaki-Fisher-Smith

If we believe what we always say about Jones to every Edmonton fan we do not need to move him. Weber is here for life.
RNH is struggling but the comparison earlier about being worst #1 overall since Stefan, get real. I paid attention to him last season, he is good on both ends of the ice. PL has a history with young Centers see Staal and Giroux.

It is not easy moving Josi, one of the best, but someone has got to go. I believe a Jones-Nurse pairing is a future cup winning pairing. They are perfect for each other.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

What's the answer then? Play out the season (and next) with Ribs and Fisher as your 2 top guys? Getting a real 1C requires another team willing to part from said 1C and Poile willing to give up something of real value from this team.

There is fantasy trading which we all do on this board and there is reality. Reality says that a young dynamic 1C is not in the cards for this team anytime soon. So you grab a servicable Staal-type, or you try to win with the grandpas at center for this season and next.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What's the answer then? Play out the season (and next) with Ribs and Fisher as your 2 top guys? Getting a real 1C requires another team willing to part from said 1C and Poile willing to give up something of real value from this team.

There is fantasy trading which we all do on this board and there is reality. Reality says that a young dynamic 1C is not in the cards for this team anytime soon. So you grab a servicable Staal-type, or you try to win with the grandpas at center for this season and next.
You don't overpay for someone who isn't the right fit. If Staal is the most realistic option available that's fine if you can get him for a good price, but just because there's no one else out there who's feasible shouldn't force our hand into settling for a short-term rental.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

You're not alone. I want no part in the Staal saga. If we're giving up assets, any at all, it needs to be for a budding superstar type center...not early 30s, huge cap hit, in their decline center. Enough with that.

I don't think we're in a position to be cup contenders this year. I truly believe were not that far off (i.e bonafide #1C) but Poile has to realize one isn't going to fall into his lap. You gotta give some to get some and we're gonna have to eventually bend on the riches we have at the blue line.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
You don't overpay for someone who isn't the right fit. If Staal is the most realistic option available that's fine if you can get him for a good price, but just because there's no one else out there who's feasible shouldn't force our hand into settling for a short-term rental.

Why isn't Staal the right fit? Is it because he would be a rental or because you don't feel like he is the right player to work with Forsberg and Neal? Just earlier this year people were worried about how we are going to keep Forsberg and Jones under the cap and get the help at forward we need. Adding an upcoming FA means little commitment on our end if it doesn't work out.

Personally, I would take my chances with Staal for a year and MAYBE reupping him over trading Jones for RNH, especially if the price is substantially less. We have so many mid level forward prospects that could be used as trade bait. We can't hold on to them all. Also, losing a first, while it may hurt, isn't the end of the world if you are picking in the 28-30 range.

I would do something like Aberg/Arvidsson + Ellis + Nystrom + 1st pick for Staal, Versteeg and a decent D man.

Forsberg Staal Neal
Smith Ribiero Versteeg
Wilson Fisher Jarnkrok
Watson Goose Bourque

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Why isn't Staal the right fit? Is it because he would be a rental or because you don't feel like he is the right player to work with Forsberg and Neal?

Personally, I would take my chances with Staal for a year and MAYBE reupping him over trading Jones for RNH, especially if the price is substantially less. We have so many mid level forward prospects that could be used as trade bait. We can't hold on to them all. Also, losing a first, while it may hurt, isn't the end of the world if you are picking in the 28-30 range.

I would do something like Fiala + Ellis + Nystrom + a high pick for Staal, Versteeg and a decent D man.
Because he would be a rental. For how many years have we been clamoring for a #1 center who we control for awhile? For the first time in a long time, or maybe, ever....we feel pretty good about our forward prospects coming up the pipeline. Also for the first time in maybe ever, we don't feel that way about the D prospects but we love what we have in Nashville right now. Taking away from both our offensive pipeline and current defensive corps for a guy who will probably leave after the season just seems like settling entirely too much and jeopardizing some of the future.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Why isn't Staal the right fit? Is it because he would be a rental or because you don't feel like he is the right player to work with Forsberg and Neal? Just earlier this year people were worried about how we are going to keep Forsberg and Jones under the cap and get the help at forward we need. Adding an upcoming FA means little commitment on our end if it doesn't work out.

I would do something like Aberg/Arvidsson + Ellis + Nystrom + 1st pick for Staal, Versteeg and a decent D man.

Forsberg Staal Neal
Smith Ribiero Versteeg
Wilson Fisher Jarnkrok
Watson Goose Bourque

He isn't the right fit because 1) He would be a rental that would require an overpayment 2) he would not re-sign, so therefore we would have lost our assets for a one and done run. and finally 3) he is over 30 and on the decline. It is no different than us going out like we have in the past and trading our 1st for a Gaustad or signing a Ribeiro to save our day.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Because he would be a rental. For how many years have we been clamoring for a #1 center who we control for awhile? For the first time in a long time, or maybe, ever....we feel pretty good about our forward prospects coming up the pipeline. Also for the first time in maybe ever, we don't feel that way about the D prospects but we love what we have in Nashville right now. Taking away from both our offensive pipeline and current defensive corps for a guy who will probably leave after the season just seems like settling entirely too much and jeopardizing some of the future.

This right here as well. This sets us back several years IMO (possibly even up to 5-6). Not worth it for a one and done year.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nashville Needs help up front.
Edmonton on the back side.
Philadelphia on left wing.

Therefore,

To Edmonton:
Roman Josi

To Nashville:
RNH
Darnell Nurse
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
Kevin Fiala
EDM 2017 1st

Would give us three "scoring lines"

Forsberg-RNH-Neal
Wilson-Ribeiro-Simmonds
Salomaki-Fisher-Smith

If we believe what we always say about Jones to every Edmonton fan we do not need to move him. Weber is here for life.
RNH is struggling but the comparison earlier about being worst #1 overall since Stefan, get real. I paid attention to him last season, he is good on both ends of the ice. PL has a history with young Centers see Staal and Giroux.

It is not easy moving Josi, one of the best, but someone has got to go. I believe a Jones-Nurse pairing is a future cup winning pairing. They are perfect for each other.

wow. You expect Edmonton to give up RNH, Nurse and their 1st and only get Josi?

I think you didnt think that through all the way

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
This right here as well. This sets us back several years IMO (possibly even up to 5-6). Not worth it for a one and done year.

If it sets us back 5-6 years, we are not nearly as deep as we think. I can certainly understand the hesitation for a guy like Staal, but I just don't see it myself. It's one of those situations where I don't think the cost will be nearly as much as people are thinking it will be knowing that he is only a rental.

I also just don't see Nuge as the answer for this team and would be very unhappy if we traded Jones for him. If we trade Jones, I want Draisaitl if we have to trade with Edmonton.

I'm just unsure about anyone's willingness to move a young center. The Seguin deal should serve as a warning to everyone.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
he's the wrong fit because as of right now, we are more than just an Eric Staal away from a stanley cup.

I'm not sacrificing Aberg, Arvidsson, Fiala, Salomaki, Kamenev, Trenin, etc...fora guy thats not going to be here after the season. I'd rather swap some of these assets for top notch 20 something year old guys. Johansen, RNH (for the right price), Duchene, Couture, Kuznetsov, Galchenyuk, Strome. You get my point.

And for God's sake if we're trading another 1st rounder it better be for a Johansen or Duchene...not Staal....AS A RENTAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino