The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashville Spence52

Jul 3, 2015
Jones,Wilson,(prospect), and maybe a pick for a net front presence. Hey maybe pit won't need hornquist anymore since they got phil hahah yeah right

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wow just wow. This team can't even spell Kup and your winning it with Smith whos numbers just barely meet the numbers for a top 6 wing league wide and he would be 3rd line on any serious cup contender. I get it hes has to be one of your favorites and I dispise the guy but you have to look at the guy realistically. Streaky inconsistent, unable to play defense, terrible at the faceoff dot is a terrible finisher. What he does well straight line speed, good on the forcheck. Lavi has to move the guy around to find anyone who can help hiom. In his stint on the 1st line last year in 24 games he had 7 points and 9 games without making the scoresheet.

If you give me a choice between Wilson and Smith I take Wilson every time even though his game is just as streaky. Wilson does have a more complete game. Now I have no idea what Poile has offered but if it is more than 3 mil it will bite him in the butt. If it is not more than 3.5 I see Smith holding out going to arbitration and the front office may let him walk. He is not as valuabe as many here portray him if he were he would be under contract right now.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
We should have jumped on ward. I think that would have been a good signing

Yeah because we should sign everyone. At some point we have to say we have enough. We already have too many forwards (assuming the RFA's re-sign), but lets sign some more anyways.

Smashville Spence52

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah because we should sign everyone. At some point we have to say we have enough. We already have too many forwards (assuming the RFA's re-sign), but lets sign some more anyways.

It's the fact that we need a net front presence, and ward can do that. Ever since we traded hornquist we've missed that. We can't have a guy like Neal standing in front of the net. I mean agree way to many forwards but that's something we're missing. You can tell when we're on the power play... I agree with on the forwards I really do but net front presence is huge!!!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Wow just wow. This team can't even spell Kup and your winning it with Smith whos numbers just barely meet the numbers for a top 6 wing league wide and he would be 3rd line on any serious cup contender. I get it hes has to be one of your favorites and I dispise the guy but you have to look at the guy realistically. Streaky inconsistent, unable to play defense, terrible at the faceoff dot is a terrible finisher. What he does well straight line speed, good on the forcheck. Lavi has to move the guy around to find anyone who can help hiom. In his stint on the 1st line last year in 24 games he had 7 points and 9 games without making the scoresheet.

If you give me a choice between Wilson and Smith I take Wilson every time even though his game is just as streaky. Wilson does have a more complete game. Now I have no idea what Poile has offered but if it is more than 3 mil it will bite him in the butt. If it is not more than 3.5 I see Smith holding out going to arbitration and the front office may let him walk. He is not as valuabe as many here portray him if he were he would be under contract right now.

We are currently showing 2.6M below the floor with 21M in space. How is that going to bite us in the butt? The comment above goes to show that the league still thinks that the Predators can't spend money and are a floor team. And to be fair, I'd rather spend that money on them, than Nystrom/Gaustad and the other junk signings that we had a few years ago.

Smashville Spence52

Jul 3, 2015

Okay. He's not a kessel or a Kane. But he's a solid player for us. He can do big things man, I'm telling you. I've followed this guy for awhile man. Smith is good man. He make solid points, but the same time smith is one of the guys if you let walk your regret it...

Ranskyre

Feb 10, 2014
Drake744:

If we gave [Wilson] a contract similar to the way he plays, it should be a 4 year deal worth:

15-16: 2.5 mil
16-17: 6.5 mil
17-18: 650k
18-19: 3.75 mil

:lol:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We are currently showing 2.6M below the floor with 21M in space. How is that going to bite us in the butt? The comment above goes to show that the league still thinks that the Predators can't spend money and are a floor team. And to be fair, I'd rather spend that money on them, than Nystrom/Gaustad and the other junk signings that we had a few years ago.

What I refer to here is Both Smith and Wilson are RFA's a 3 mil bridge will morph into 4.5 after the bridge. Recall what happened with both Erat and Leggy after they signed there long term contract. Both dropped, Leggy they last year before his contract had 27 goals and 63 points and had 20 goals as his top season afterward. Erat actually did better he had 20 twice and broke 50 points 3 times but looking back Leggy was paid 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4.5 and Erat 5.25, 5.25, 6, 5.5. Both Leggy and Erat had similar point totals to Wilson and Smith. Smith gives it his all I admit that but in those years Eraty did as well Leggy not so much. Wilson is well just all over the board. I really like Wilson but I do not consider him to be a 5 mil guy after this bridge and Smith either. Maybe 2.75 each for two and then if they remain 20 to 25 goal and hit 50 points bump them to 4. More than that will not be possible if Jones is around and FF9 continue to develop.

The reason we are so far under the cap right now really is two reclamation contracts in Ribs and Hodgson. Take a look at what 1st line guys make elsewhere, heck we are paying Fish more to play 2nd or perhaps 3rd line. But these guys have proven themselves year after year to be worth top money. To remain in good shape cap wise with Weber and Rinne at 7 mil you might be able to pay one more guy 6 but the remainder will need to be around the 4 mil point. I do not think Wilson or Smith merit that by performance yet one has one good year and the other arguably 2 good seasons.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Okay. He's not a kessel or a Kane. But he's a solid player for us. He can do big things man, I'm telling you. I've followed this guy for awhile man. Smith is good man. He make solid points, but the same time smith is one of the guys if you let walk your regret it...

we aren't going to let him walk. we will either sign him to a reasonable deal or he will be traded.

I hope he continues to get better, but I won't be surprised if he's just as streaky as ever.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Why would we let Smith or Wilson walk for free? I'm so confused. We have TWENTY ONE MILLION DOLLARS in cap space.

I do not believe anyone is saying let one walk for free.

I belive this team could use a JVR/Hornvist/Simmonds type player.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

Byrd, I know your hate on Smith is legendary, but c'mon, if you're trying to make a serious point you can't throw out "stupid stuff" like Smith is barely a top 6. 180 in points last year - which means there are Dmen in the group so it's not even all the top 6 - is Barkov with 16 and 20 for 36 points. Smith is clearly in that group without any question. Would I like to have enough firepower we could skate him on our 3rd? You bet. But, he's certainly an acceptable top 6 piece for a strong team.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
What I refer to here is Both Smith and Wilson are RFA's a 3 mil bridge will morph into 4.5 after the bridge. Recall what happened with both Erat and Leggy after they signed there long term contract. Both dropped, Leggy they last year before his contract had 27 goals and 63 points and had 20 goals as his top season afterward. Erat actually did better he had 20 twice and broke 50 points 3 times but looking back Leggy was paid 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4.5 and Erat 5.25, 5.25, 6, 5.5. Both Leggy and Erat had similar point totals to Wilson and Smith. Smith gives it his all I admit that but in those years Eraty did as well Leggy not so much. Wilson is well just all over the board. I really like Wilson but I do not consider him to be a 5 mil guy after this bridge and Smith either. Maybe 2.75 each for two and then if they remain 20 to 25 goal and hit 50 points bump them to 4. More than that will not be possible if Jones is around and FF9 continue to develop.

The reason we are so far under the cap right now really is two reclamation contracts in Ribs and Hodgson. Take a look at what 1st line guys make elsewhere, heck we are paying Fish more to play 2nd or perhaps 3rd line. But these guys have proven themselves year after year to be worth top money. To remain in good shape cap wise with Weber and Rinne at 7 mil you might be able to pay one more guy 6 but the remainder will need to be around the 4 mil point. I do not think Wilson or Smith merit that by performance yet one has one good year and the other arguably 2 good seasons.

Didn't the drop-off also correspond to PK leaving? and longer-term, Leggy skating lines with high-offensive contributors like Ward and Smithson? It's a valid point, but it's also being made in a vacuum. Biggest negative for Smith and Wilson is streakiness; past performance says Smith is better than Wilson since Wilson really only has the 1 strong season. Relative to your point about you can only have a couple of truly expensive guys I tend to agree which is why you need to sign to reliable contributors. Wilson is still living on "potential"; Smith has had a few seasons now where it's a pretty good guess he'll pot 20. So, while I also like Wilson more, if you're following the logic, it's Smith you sign.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Jones,Wilson,(prospect), and maybe a pick for a net front presence. Hey maybe pit won't need hornquist anymore since they got phil hahah yeah right
94AuBU7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad