OT: The Football Thread

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You keep saying things like this but the fact is this team, with Wilson at QB, has defeated the Bills and Eagles. And at 3-3, with their most difficult part of the schedule behind them, are sitting in a decent spot to make the playoffs (something you said was impossible).

Is Zach Wilson "the answer?" No. But he's currently the best option. And given the team's other strengths should be enough to win with.

Would it kill you to say you're pleasantly surprised? :)
Oh, I am surprised and happy that I can watch meaningful football at the end of October.

Great win against Philly. Hard stop.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I’ve never seen a Jets defense this talented nor 2 more talented offensive players on the roster at the same time.

Buffalo is not that good btw and Denver is awful as you know.

Zach still sucks. His Mom’s hot though.

• Haha
Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Oh, I am surprised and happy that I can watch meaningful football at the end of October.

Great win against Philly. Hard stop.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I’ve never seen a Jets defense this talented nor 2 more talented offensive players on the roster at the same time.

Buffalo is not that good btw and Denver is awful as you know.

Zach still sucks. His Mom’s hot though.

KC is good though and they should have won that game. The hold on JJ combined with the phantom Sauce holding on the same play still burns a hole through my chest.

I agree he's not the answer, on a third and long they cannot threaten the defense whatsoever. The defense can send the house and the makeshift line is not going to hold up at all. ZW doesn't have the touch to hit GW with 1-v-1 coverage facing an all out blitz on a 3rd & 12.

However, he has improved A TON. I mean, when you're at near zero, it would be hard not to progress...but can you believe that this is the same guy who looked like a high schooler against the Pats just a few weeks ago? Pile on top the worst sports media market and the ex-HOF QB publicly saying you SUCK? I give the kid props.

Went into the game without their top 2 CB's against a top 5 WR duo. Lost yet another offensive lineman and they still pulled it off. If anything, the 2023 NYJ have balls.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I haven't looked at this page in a long time . . .

What a difference a day/page makes . . .

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Rex Ryan said all along that Zach has NFL quarterback skills and you just don't let those players go. I was a big time doubter and now I'm more hopeful. He has a strong arm, he's been accurate this season, and he can avoid a pass rush. He gets almost no time to throw and he's been stepping up in the pocket and throwing well. His major flaw is finding someone to throw to when he's being chased toward the sideline.

I don't know where his success has come from this year. Rogers? Hackett? This is the improvement we were hoping for last year.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
After trading away Mecole Hardman, I wouldn't be opposed to the Jets trading for Hunter Renfrow.

WR depth took a hit, and he's gotta be an upgrade in the slot over Cobb (who did make a great catch on the 2 pt conv).

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
After trading away Mecole Hardman, I wouldn't be opposed to the Jets trading for Hunter Renfrow.

WR depth took a hit, and he's gotta be an upgrade in the slot over Cobb (who did make a great catch on the 2 pt conv).
I think they are ok at WR. If the Jets trade for anyone it should be an OL.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Rex Ryan said all along that Zach has NFL quarterback skills and you just don't let those players go. I was a big time doubter and now I'm more hopeful. He has a strong arm, he's been accurate this season, and he can avoid a pass rush. He gets almost no time to throw and he's been stepping up in the pocket and throwing well. His major flaw is finding someone to throw to when he's being chased toward the sideline.

I don't know where his success has come from this year. Rogers? Hackett? This is the improvement we were hoping for last year.
I think that Wilson will have a solid career as an NFL back-up QB.

Reactions: Osakahaus

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I take no pleasure in pointing out the misplaced optimism some have voiced regarding Zach Wilson.

Can we put that to bed now?

The Jets should’ve signed one of the available QB retreads once Rodgers went down.

Now to my main rants.

Saleh knows defense and absolutely nothing else. He is painfully deficient in the skills needed to be a head coach. And another thing, OC Hackett is equally bad. Sean Payton wasn’t wrong.

Edit:
I posted this originally near the end of regulation when it appeared the Jets would lose.

Upon further review: I stand by everything I said.

Last edited:
Reactions: islesmb

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is genuinely one of the most maddeningly aggravating 4-3 football teams i've seen. So many injuries but they keep on pushing. We better get a center, and fast. Losing McGovern and Schweitzer would be brutal.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I take no pleasure in pointing out the misplaced optimism some have voiced regarding Zach Wilson.

The Jets should’ve signed one of the available QB retreads once Rodgers went down.

Now to my main rants.

Saleh knows defense and absolutely nothing else. He is painfully deficient in the skills needed to be a head coach. And another thing, OC Hackett is equally bad. Sean Payton wasn’t wrong.

Edit:
I posted this originally near the end of regulation when it appeared the Jets would lose.

Upon further review: I stand by everything I said.
Zach isn’t very good but the offensive line and play calling aren’t helping. I know the line has had a bunch of injuries but it boggles my mind that Douglas, a former lineman, hasn’t done a better job building the line.

I’m not as down on Saleh as you. I think every coach is going to be better on one side of the ball depending on his background. Hackett was brought in to help get Rodgers. The entire offense was built around Rodgers skill set. And we know Wilson ain’t Rodgers.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Zach isn’t very good but the offensive line and play calling aren’t helping. I know the line has had a bunch of injuries but it boggles my mind that Douglas, a former lineman, hasn’t done a better job building the line.
Now hang on a moment

Before this season began, our line was average. Look at the injuries that are on our offensive line alone.
-AVT (ACL, out indefinitely after 5 games)
-Brown (old man)
-Tippmann (weird fluke injury from Eagles game)
-McGovern (Kneecap from Metlife turf and Dexter Lawrence feasting on the jets)
-Schweitzer (another weird fluke injury, poor reps)

Its just unfortunate that the only withstanding day 1 starters are Laken and Becton, who are average at best. Our line has to be the ones most affected by the turf either way. Add in the rain games and how our WR core desperately misses Corey Davis, and you have a very bad offense. Its not even on Zach because he's making some borderline elite throws, its the fact our line has been reduced to a JV pickup squad. Its hurt the run game most importantly. Nobody can carve up a lane, and Hall/Cook/Carter cant do much. It doesn't matter if it was Aaron or Cousins or Tannehill or whoever, you put ANY Quarterback behind this line, and they're probably seeing ghosts.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

No. You were wrong.

You were wrong that they couldn't win with Wilson. You were wrong that Rodgers wouldn't continue to mentor Wilson. You were wrong that Rodgers wouldn't be on the sidelines. And you will be wrong when the Jets make the playoffs with Wilson (50% odds right now).

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
No. You were wrong.

You were wrong that they couldn't win with Wilson. You were wrong that Rodgers wouldn't continue to mentor Wilson. You were wrong that Rodgers wouldn't be on the sidelines. And you will be wrong when the Jets make the playoffs with Wilson (50% odds right now).
Wow. That’s a hot take and literally a complete misrepresentation of my posts. If you meant to say that my expectations for Zach are exceedingly low then you’d be right. Everything else you mentioned were things I’ve never posted.

Don’t get me wrong, I am convinced that Zach Wilson is not the answer.

Can they win some games with him? Yes, but that’s with their defense playing exceptionally well. Rodgers mentoring Zach? That might help a little but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Rodgers on the sidelines? Who cares?

Did I say the Jets can’t make the playoffs? I didn’t, but to be fair you might be onto something there.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Now hang on a moment

Before this season began, our line was average. Look at the injuries that are on our offensive line alone.
-AVT (ACL, out indefinitely after 5 games)
-Brown (old man)
-Tippmann (weird fluke injury from Eagles game)
-McGovern (Kneecap from Metlife turf and Dexter Lawrence feasting on the jets)
-Schweitzer (another weird fluke injury, poor reps)

Its just unfortunate that the only withstanding day 1 starters are Laken and Becton, who are average at best. Our line has to be the ones most affected by the turf either way. Add in the rain games and how our WR core desperately misses Corey Davis, and you have a very bad offense. Its not even on Zach because he's making some borderline elite throws, its the fact our line has been reduced to a JV pickup squad. Its hurt the run game most importantly. Nobody can carve up a lane, and Hall/Cook/Carter cant do much. It doesn't matter if it was Aaron or Cousins or Tannehill or whoever, you put ANY Quarterback behind this line, and they're probably seeing ghosts.
I already stated that the line had a lot of injuries. But other than AVT the other lineman that are out are not very good. Tippmann might be but he is still a rookie finding his way in the league. The backups are bad.
Also I disagree on Davis. He was hurt and ineffective with the Jets. The Jets have their #1 WR in Wilson. The Jets don’t miss Davis.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I already stated that the line had a lot of injuries. But other than AVT the other lineman that are out are not very good. Tippmann might be but he is still a rookie finding his way in the league. The backups are bad.
Also I disagree on Davis. He was hurt and ineffective with the Jets. The Jets have their #1 WR in Wilson. The Jets don’t miss Davis.
Davis was a good blocker and he added separation for Zach. He did a lot of good, and was his safety blanket for a lot of throws. I'd take him over Cobb and Lazard, and thats being honest. This years draft should see at least another WR taken, and the jets doing anything to get another guard and tackle. Unless we elevate Warren, its thin pickings on the line. Tippmann is also a pretty decent guard.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Davis was a good blocker and he added separation for Zach. He did a lot of good, and was his safety blanket for a lot of throws. I'd take him over Cobb and Lazard, and thats being honest. This years draft should see at least another WR taken, and the jets doing anything to get another guard and tackle. Unless we elevate Warren, its thin pickings on the line. Tippmann is also a pretty decent guard.
If the Jets threw to the tight end more you wouldn’t miss Davis. The whole offensive scheme needs an over haul. Hackett was supposedly a west coast guru. I haven’t seen the west coast offense.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
That was the worst football game I've ever watched. I truly feel bad for anyone who had to travel to the Meadowlands, sit in the rain to watch that abomination in person and then drive their soggy asses home.
I’m sorry but I don’t care. This franchise always loses that type of game. I hope every Giant fan in attendance went home miserable that their season is finished.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Wow. That’s a hot take and literally a complete misrepresentation of my posts. If you meant to say that my expectations for Zach are exceedingly low then you’d be right. Everything else you mentioned were things I’ve never posted.

Don’t get me wrong, I am convinced that Zach Wilson is not the answer.

Can they win some games with him? Yes, but that’s with their defense playing exceptionally well. Rodgers mentoring Zach? That might help a little but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Rodgers on the sidelines? Who cares?

Did I say the Jets can’t make the playoffs? I didn’t, but to be fair you might be onto something there.
Sorry - I may have you mixed up with another poster(s). Should've went back to check. Apologies.

And it's spelled HOT TAEK!1! lol

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Sorry - I may have you mixed up with another poster(s). Should've went back to check. Apologies.

And it's spelled HOT TAEK!1! lol
Despite my unhappiness with Zach Wilson, I’m happy the Jets didn’t unload some capital to trade for Kirk Cousins as was rumored. We dodged one there.

The Achilles tendons don’t seem to hold up too well in those “elderly“ QBs.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Despite my unhappiness with Zach Wilson, I’m happy the Jets didn’t unload some capital to trade for Kirk Cousins as was rumored. We dodged one there.

The Achilles tendons don’t seem to hold up too well in those “elderly“ QBs.
I root for two teams. The Jets and the Vikings. Go figure...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I have never encountered this expression. Other pig-related idioms, sure, but not this one.

In case anyone else was curious: make a silk purse of a sow's ear - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Turns out it's not because I'm old (which is true) - the expression is archaic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad