THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Torts said they'll be back in D.C. for game 7.....I suggest he develop a power play between now and Monday so he can be a man of his word.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Vegas Golden Knights got a series win in their first year of existence while Jackets fans have been waiting for 18 years.

In the Pokemon fandom, Dark-type Pokemon fans know the feeling. They have been waiting for a Gym for their type since its introduction in 1999 (in Japan, 2000 in the West). Meanwhile the Fairy type was introduced in 2013, and it got a Gym right away. Dark-type fans were livid at this.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The Vegas Golden Knights got a series win in their first year of existence while Jackets fans have been waiting for 18 years.

You really can't compare what is going on in Vegas with what is going on in the rest of the league. It's unlikely what happened in Vegas will happen again.

Still not sure how they are doing it with that defense. I haven't watched them much but puck possession, along with good goaltending, is probably helping them. We'll see what Vegas does in the second round.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
This is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen. It's a process. Torts made the Jackets better last year than they were 2 years ago. He has made them better this year than they were last year. I predict they will be even better next year.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You really can't compare what is going on in Vegas with what is going on in the rest of the league. It's unlikely what happened in Vegas will happen again.

Still not sure how they are doing it with that defense. I haven't watched them much but puck possession, along with good goaltending, is probably helping them. We'll see what Vegas does in the second round.
Until Seattle comes into the league and gets he same expansion rules to select from. They'll wind up with similar talent. Maybe not a stanley cup winning goalie but similar talent.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Until Seattle comes into the league and gets he same expansion rules to select from. They'll wind up with similar talent. Maybe not a stanley cup winning goalie but similar talent.

I doubt they'll get the same combination of players to form a team like Vegas. We'll likely see a more typical progression from an expansion team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen. It's a process. Torts made the Jackets better last year than they were 2 years ago. He has made them better this year than they were last year. I predict they will be even better next year.

Torts is Torts. He's decent, but he certainly has his quirks. He didn't really move the franchise forward this season, at least not yet. He seems to be getting out coached a bit this series.

He's the second best head coach we've had. Of course that isn't saying much. At least he's better than Richards.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
As far as vegas goes...its a whole different way than when we came into existence right? Also...we had a horribly terribly bad GM who set this franchise up to fail for a decade or more.

I think Torts did a bad job in game three with managing minutes and we saw the results in game 4. Fire him? No. But his lack of managing minutes hurt us.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure about Torts. Yes he's got the Jackets to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Took a semi-miracle to do so but he got them there. But the power play and penalty kill have regressed, Wennberg regressed, Bjorkstrand & Milano are in never never land. I still don't think we have a cohesive offensive system. If he returns I can live with it;if he is let go I won't be upset.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure about Torts. Yes he's got the Jackets to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Took a semi-miracle to do so but he got them there. But the power play and penalty kill have regressed, Wennberg regressed, Bjorkstrand & Milano are in never never land. I still don't think we have a cohesive offensive system. If he returns I can live with it;if he is let go I won't be upset.

Some of this I tend to agree with. Having said that, the trade deadline showed us that the front office had a direct impact on the problems the first half of the season. The additions of Cole, Vanek, and Letestu addressed a lot of the problems you mentioned - if not perfectly or long term.

Having said that, I think our problems are more related to the fundamental shift in hockey towards faster players in which defense is addressed by puck possession. This is part of the reason that Vegas is so good. We have some real system/structure problems. I would say that Torts has some blame, but I would also point to some personnel issues. We give up way too many quality chances even though our regular system corsi numbers were quite good. We rely too much on goaltending. We have way too many mental lapses, which is becoming more and more noticeable in the playoffs. For example, Panarin completely lost someone in the third and he got a point black shot on Bob. Game should have been over there. That isn't a coaching issue. I'm not hammering Panarin, he's been quite good for this franchise, but it's an example of things that happen a lot with this team.

You aren't going to win a Cup constantly giving up 3 of more goals.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Just remember where the franchise was before Torts. Do you want to go back there? No other coach has gotten this team to the playoffs two years in a row. He is not perfect but I think Torts deserves some of the credit of changing the culture.

Reactions: Fairwhether

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Just remember where the franchise was before Torts. Do you want to go back there? No other coach has gotten this team to the playoffs two years in a row. He is not perfect but I think Torts deserves some of the credit of changing the culture.

I've never been a fan of the fear of making a move. If the FO thinks he's the right guy, fine. However, the assertion that we should do nothing because of fear of regression isn't a positive. "We could be worse" isn't really an endorsement.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I've never been a fan of the fear of making a move. If the FO thinks he's the right guy, fine. However, the assertion that we should do nothing because of fear of regression isn't a positive. "We could be worse" isn't really an endorsement.

I obviously didn't phrase that right. It's not coming from a fear of regression, my support comes from the fact that I believe he has changed the culture of the organization like nobody else has done. I think the closest to accomplishing a culture change was Hitch and he completely lost the guys. IMO Torts has walked that tight rope of bringing the hammer down and easing up successfully. I don't get the sense that the country club culture is still alive with the CBJ. Remember the country club culture?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I obviously didn't phrase that right. It's not coming from a fear of regression, my support comes from the fact that I believe he has changed the culture of the organization like nobody else has done. I think the closest to accomplishing a culture change was Hitch and he completely lost the guys. IMO Torts has walked that tight rope of bringing the hammer down and easing up successfully. I don't get the sense that the country club culture is still alive with the CBJ. Remember the country club culture?

Maybe. Maybe the players themselves had something to do with it too.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Maybe. Maybe the players themselves had something to do with it too.
I would agree , the whole Roster has been nearly turned over . Torts guaranteed victory tonight , let’s see if he lives up to his word . Personally , I think they win game 6. If not , some tough decisions this offseason.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have been saying they will win Game 6. They will play this one with the desperation that comes with knowing a loss means the end of it all.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It’s time for the franchise to demand higher standards . Team took a step back this year , squeaked into playoffs , if they don’t pull this series out , that’s 2 first round exits , back to back , and the only franchise in the nhl to never get out of the first round . We were up 2-0 in this series , coming back home and our players were dead tired because of poor line management . To not play Bjorkstrand , Milano, Letestu because of youth , is unforgivable . Bjork was one of better players in game 5, after finally given a chance . I’m not saying the organization will make the move , but I have 0 coincidence that Torts will develop the young players , and get us to the next level. Bednar hurts , that he got away. Washington is in same boat right now with assistant Todd Reirden who has a great reputation of developing young talent , and is coach in waiting if Trots blows this series . He would be a Bednar type hire .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad