THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have a unique idea. The Jackets are currently on the last playoff spot with 19 games to go. So i am
going to drop all “fire X” comments snd “X sucks” remarks and focus on rooting tnis team into the playoffs. Anyone care to join me?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Folks were saying that after Vancouver, and since then he's shown significant improvement over here and won the Jack Adams. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out future job offers.

Except he didn't deserve the Adams (as much as I love my Jackets). The combo of a quick playoff exit to the defending champs that eventually repeated plus Edmonton made it farther after a longer playoff drought means the Edmonton's coach should have won. Adams only won because of anti-Canadian bias (he not only coaches an American team, he's an American himself...please can we have Bettman leave soon and replace him with a Canadian?)

I think the Adams voting should be held off until after the postseason (the other awards can still be voted on after the regular season like normal). If that had been the case last year Torts would not have won.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Except he didn't deserve the Adams (as much as I love my Jackets). The combo of a quick playoff exit to the defending champs that eventually repeated plus Edmonton made it farther after a longer playoff drought means the Edmonton's coach should have won. Adams only won because of anti-Canadian bias (he not only coaches an American team, he's an American himself...please can we have Bettman leave soon and replace him with a Canadian?)

I think the Adams voting should be held off until after the postseason (the other awards can still be voted on after the regular season like normal). If that had been the case last year Torts would not have won.
We can all muse about how awards SHOULD work, but.....your ideal is simply that. To push the idea that there is an anti-Canadian bias when that would be trumped by an anti-Torts bias.....well....Torts rightfully won.....and with all that, it's not an immunization for what could happen at year end.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Perhaps it's better that the Jackets don't make the playoffs, because hopefully that will force them to finally look to fix the special teams. This team isn't the most talented in the league, but it has talent (we would've salivated for d-men like Jones and Werenski 10 years ago) and there's just no excuse for a power play as bad as it's been since Jan 2017.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Jack Adams Award - Wikipedia

Winning the Jack Adams virtually insures dismissal within 2 years. It's uncanny. Actually it's canny ("canned"). Bad. I'll go to my room.

It's fairly simple why. The Adams normally goes to a coach whose team had an unexpected breakthrough relative to their preseason expectations.

The standard set in that season then becomes the new expectation going forward, and when the team inevitably falls short in the ensuing year or two, the coach is the first to go since it's assumed that he's lost the room or that he's become the problem.

And that goes for all sports, whose coach/manager of the year winners usually are a cinch to be canned in the next year or two.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's fairly simple why. The Adams normally goes to a coach whose team had an unexpected breakthrough relative to their preseason expectations.

The standard set in that season then becomes the new expectation going forward, and when the team inevitably falls short in the ensuing year or two, the coach is the first to go since it's assumed that he's lost the room or that he's become the problem.

And that goes for all sports, whose coach/manager of the year winners usually are a cinch to be canned in the next year or two.

The average NHL coach last 3.5 years or so. It's a short shelf life occupation. The Adams award doesn't change life expectancy. Coaches are hired to be fired.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wow, not sure if there's more "top notch" insight in that 55 sec clip, or in this 13 page thread...

Any talk of Torts being a "fit" with this team should go about the same as questioning Panarin's "fit" with the team...

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Zone entry, zone setup are terrible. Players aren't creating space and won't shoot. That can be coached. I feel all of the players are on an island when it comes to the breakout and offensive zone setup.

Power play is just an amplification of all of those issues. That and backwards two line pass.

You wanna give the younger players more ice time? Ok, that's great. But Bjork can't get in position to take a quality shot. Milano's nose for the offensive zone is decent except he doesn't know how he should take the puck into the zone and he still needs a little work elsewhere. Korpi can't play consistently. PLD's always stuck in front of the net it seems so he'll have to settle for Jenner goals. I keep forgetting Anderson is on the team because he's just some guy throwing the body around and not skating past defenders like I remember seeing him do all the time.

Yea, a lot of that is coaching too.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Torts has done a better job this year than last. He has been patient (more than most of us fans) and kept the team on the tracks when times were tough. Last year the winning streak put the team on cruise control most of the season. Love how the team has responded post trade deadline with a push. How many other CBJ teams folded when this time of the season. Keep Torts!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He maintained his composure in trying circumstances and, to this point anyhow, righted a ship that was clearly sinking. 8 in a row, regardless of how it's done, is an extraordinary accomplishment for a team which hadn't won 3 in a row for 3 months.

He's been pushing all the right buttons of late. Starting Korpisalo tonight was a solid veteran coach move. He can't start Bob every game and his choices about when to rest him have been perfect of late as well.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
My stance stands that only a playoff series win will save Tort's job. If the playoffs began today we'd be a wildcard and underdogs. So Tort faces a tough road ahead in keeping his job for next year.
Yeah the first coach to send us to back to back seasons while having the youngest team in the league until the TDL aged us up. The guy is the best coach for the job. There is no coach to bring in. I'e seen people hope for a firing in Chicago but his style is very defensive and has the biggest dog house in the league besides AV.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If Torts learns from his mistakes from the playoffs last year, then I might change my opinion of him. If he goes right back to his "gotta hit em to win" philosophy that was a big reason we looked so terrible last time, I'll still want a new coach.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Back to back playoffs or not, Tort has only had two good postseasons as a coach in his career - 2004 and 2012. More postseasons like that are required for him to be viable in Columbus. So another first-round exit should do him in, back-to-back playoffs or not.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Back to back playoffs or not, Tort has only had two good postseasons as a coach in his career - 2004 and 2012. More postseasons like that are required for him to be viable in Columbus. So another first-round exit should do him in, back-to-back playoffs or not.

Seem pretty similar to some of the better coaches in the NHL, for example he resume isn't that much different that Babcock's. I have my issues with Torts, but this really isn't sound reasoning. Sometimes it's the hand you are dealt just as much as it your ability.

We vastly over-achieved last season. This season is more inline with what I would expect to see in our development. With a young team like this I would expect some inconsistency.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I've admittedly bagged on Torts quite a bit this season. The team's lackluster play and carefree attitude made it evident that he wasn't being heard.

Since the depth was added at the deadline however, they have looked an awful lot like the team that finished fourth overall in the NHL last year. Which begs the question: Maybe they were too young. Or maybe they didn't have enough depth. The injuries didn't help, but imagine if we had Vanek, Letestu and Cole stepping into bigger roles, instead of relying on Nathan Gerbe, Jordan Schroeder, or Scott Harrington. I think we may have at least faired a little better.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm wrong, and maybe I was. With this recent run and the big picture outlook, maybe the outlook on Torts is that he will have led this team to back to back playoff appearances. That should at least earn him one more year. Hopefully Jarmo and/or JD learned the error of their ways and will give him a deeper lineup next season, with some quality in the bottom six. At least then if it fails, you can now be certain that the coach was the issue.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've admittedly bagged on Torts quite a bit this season. The team's lackluster play and carefree attitude made it evident that he wasn't being heard.

Since the depth was added at the deadline however, they have looked an awful lot like the team that finished fourth overall in the NHL last year. Which begs the question: Maybe they were too young. Or maybe they didn't have enough depth. The injuries didn't help, but imagine if we had Vanek, Letestu and Cole stepping into bigger roles, instead of relying on Nathan Gerbe, Jordan Schroeder, or Scott Harrington. I think we may have at least faired a little better.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm wrong, and maybe I was. With this recent run and the big picture outlook, maybe the outlook on Torts is that he will have led this team to back to back playoff appearances. That should at least earn him one more year. Hopefully Jarmo and/or JD learned the error of their ways and will give him a deeper lineup next season, with some quality in the bottom six. At least then if it fails, you can now be certain that the coach was the issue.

I was initially hesitant on firing Tortorella, but as the struggles continued until mid February with the lack of intensity, I questioned if he had lost the room. I started to consider firing him this off-season like many others on here.. But, I think he's looking at another year here to finish his current contract despite what happens in the playoffs..

But, like you mentioned- The depth certainly helps now. Adding Vanek, Letestu, Cole with only losing a couple minor league forwards, and Jussi Jokinen (from our roster, I know we traded draft picks) will certainly help our depth for this season. That's adding 3 out of 18 reliable roster players in exchange for nobody. Shoot, even Anderson/Jones are currently injured and we still have a legit NHL lineup.

Personally, I thought our depth in acquiring "tweener" players was better this off-season compared to previous years. But, I think Jarmo might have whiffed on assuming Hannikainen was NHL ready. Plus, Sedlak has had his struggles this season.

Reactions: Sore Loser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad