The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Do you think Johansen is better than Duchene? He didn't hit 60 until his 3rd season and I'd wager most would take him over Duchene.

Some people are late bloomers, some people take time to adjust to the NHL. In Wennbergs case he has to completely change his game to play on a smaller ice. Duchene is older and more expensive.

I still think Wennberg is a better fit on a line with two goal scorers. Wennberg has improved in every statistical category every year. Literally every signs point to continued growth. Duchene MIGHT have a little more room, but we know what Duchene is capable of. We don't need more goal scorers. We have plenty.
That question is irrelevant. Do you think Johansen is better on a John Tortorella coached team than Duchene is on a John Tortorella coached team?
18 minutes/night isn't minimal. If he's eating PK and DZ starts and allowing Werenski and Jones easier minutes it's well worth it because they can feast on lesser opponents. Werenski should be better this season, but his offense dried up when he started getting pk minutes.

I guess it really depends on Jenner, if they think he's going to be gone awhile and they don't have faith in Dalpe or anyone else they could make a move.

But seriously our wings are good enough for Foligno to move to center and our depth on wings will be fine.

I really think we have the depth to weather these injuries early on.
I can't say I agree.

PLD will continually be tested at center

Thurkauf, Vigneault and Stenlund will be competing for a center job next season.

And we have about 5 guys in the system listed as C/W not on our roster, not to mention the 4 guys on our roster who can play wing or center.

As far as D in the system ahead of those guys, I only put Carlsson and Gavrikov ahead of them. And Gavrikov is at least 2 seasons away.

Behind those two we really only have Harrington, Peeke and Collins.
Vainio and Kukan.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That question is irrelevant. Do you think Johansen is better on a John Tortorella coached team than Duchene is on a John Tortorella coached team?

Vainio and Kukan.

The point was not all players are stars their first year in the NHL, some players need time to realize what they can do.

I think Torts coached Wennberg is better than Torts coached Johansen.

And adding Duchene only tightens are 2019 cap crunch. If cam puts up 35+ again we're really gonna be screwed. Can't even begin to think about what Bob would want if hes in vezina talk again..

Now what if Duchene puts up two 65pt seasons and we don't win a cup?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The point was not all players are stars their first year in the NHL, some players need time to realize what they can do.

And adding Duchene only tightens are 2019 cap crunch. If cam puts up 35+ again we're really gonna be screwed. Can't even begin to think about what Bob would want if hes in vezina talk again..

Or you could simply enjoy today and where it takes us and stop worrying about the future cap constraints

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

We make a trade. That problem is a helluva lot more palatable than what this franchise has had to deal with in its undecorated history.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Nothing really to add about the Duchene saga, but...

At this point, who's been mentioned more in this board, Duchene, Spezza or Antropov?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Have we traded for him yet...? The season is almost underway. I mean, come on guys, get it done!

/nervous laughter

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Have we traded for him yet...? The season is almost underway. I mean, come on guys, get it done!

/nervous laughter

I truly am interested in seeing how long Sakic is willing to play this game of chicken, and while I think we have the pieces to make the trade, I don't think Duchene is the last top 6 center that will come available this season.

It will be interested if Sakic is truly willing to go into the season with Duchene on the roster, or if he is just waiting til the last possible moment.... They still have about 24 hours to get something done in their offseason.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It’s not unfathomable that we would send plenty of salary (or potential salary increase) back as part of the trade.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I gave up hope on something happening anytime soon a long time ago.

Guessing this goes until at least the TDL. The only thing keeping me sane is that the whole Anderson watch is over with.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree. I think the salary cap while tough can be managed.

I think we can all agree that the cap can be managed. It has to be if you want to ice a team. That really isn't the question is it? The question is can it be managed without negatively impacting the team in a why that hurts our ability to improve and be a legitimate Cup contender.

As I've said I'm not sure fitting in contracts like Foligno helps us with legitimate cap management.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Duchene wastes no time getting going as he taps in a goal on Henry early on in the Avs-NYR game tonight.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think we can all agree that the cap can be managed. It has to be if you want to ice a team. That really isn't the question is it? The question is can it be managed without negatively impacting the team in a why that hurts our ability to improve and be a legitimate Cup contender.

As I've said I'm not sure fitting in contracts like Foligno helps us with legitimate cap management.
Well I gotta say this, Foligno is going to end up being the best captain this franchise has ever had. His money is earned.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well I gotta say this, Foligno is going to end up being the best captain this franchise has ever had. His money is earned.

He's been a better Captain than a player since he signed that deal. As far as earning his money that is subjective. So what's going to make him the best Captain? His ability or simply team performance?

I'll be honest, I haven't decided it I even think he's a good Captain yet. I just know he's a nice guy and the players seem to like and respect him. While important traits, I'm not sure that distinguishes him from Nash. While everyone around here hates Foote, other than how he left I didn't see much wrong with his leadership. If Whitney had stuck around he could very well have been a great Captain for this franchise.

Cheers and here's to a good season.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
He's been a better Captain than a player since he signed that deal. As far as earning his money that is subjective. So what's going to make him the best Captain? His ability or simply team performance?

I'll be honest, I haven't decided it I even think he's a good Captain yet. I just know he's a nice guy and the players seem to like and respect him. While important traits, I'm not sure that distinguishes him from Nash. While everyone around here hates Foote, other than how he left I didn't see much wrong with his leadership. If Whitney had stuck around he could very well have been a great Captain for this franchise.

Cheers and here's to a good season.
I thought Nick played horrible soon after getting the C last season...... He played tense and not relaxed.. That has changed, I agree with Lee..

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

I liked how he played at center. I didn't realize he was drafted as a center. I think Foligno is going to have a great positive impact on Milano and Oliver playing on that line.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's only been one game. I'm ok with waiting it out a few weeks, but I still think it will be far more beneficial than not to acquire him.
Given how good the Murray-Carlsson pair looked and how well Foligno did between Milano and Bjorkstrand, I am no longer nearly as convinced of this as I was before. I'm not about to say "to hell with it, Colorado had their chance and lost it" based on only one game, but at this point I'm no longer in a conciliatory mood w/r/t making such a deal happen.

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I thought Nick played horrible soon after getting the C last season...... He played tense and not relaxed.. That has changed, I agree with Lee..

1.5 of his two seasons have been sub-par. In his final 46 games last season he had 19 points and was a stellar -15, which doesn't include is 2 assists and -5 in his 5 post season games. I guess perception really is reality.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So Wennberg has been invisible the first 2 games , he's been terrible on faceoffs , and he's getting knocked off the puck to start the season . Hopefully after the game tonight , management adds a little more to a deal with Colorado , so we can get this deal done . I would probably include Karlsson instead of Murray , and the way Milano has improved , makes me leery of moving him , maybe Bjorkstrand , instead . I do think Anderson, and Boone will help a lot in bringing a more heavy game . I just don't see this team beating the elite teams , with our current makeup , down the middle . You know how u get Panarin shots on goal, first of all that involves winning face offs , and aside from Duchene being a much better offensively player than Wennberg, he's an elite face off man , that wins nearly 2/3 of his face offs .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille